Coronavirus: UK brings back 14-day quarantine for Spain

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

• ASK1945
    Participant

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53540691

What a disaster for those who have just flown out to Spain at the start of the school holidays, or are about to fly out, so too late to swap to another country.

Whatever one’s views about the correctness of the decision or whether this was too soon to fly abroad on holiday, nevertheless I feel sorry for those who did.

A disaster for the tour industry also, of course.

2 users thanked author for this post.

bluemooner
    Participant

Not sure why the Islands such as the Balearics and Canaries need to be included, unless there is evidence that it is increasing there too.
    Seems to be putting UK travellers to unnecessary inconvenience.

I assume that closing an entire country stops one from taking internal transport to a different area and flying home from there.

Given that Catalonia is one of the affected areas, is there anything to stop people driving into SW France and getting a plane home from there?

ASK1945
    Participant

The problem with driving into SW France and getting a plane from there is two-fold: firstly is the availability of flights. Also, anyone flying from today onwards to Spain will not be covered by insurance whilst they are in Spain, although the EHIC card does still apply, if anything medical goes wrong.

Alsacienne
    Participant

Given that Catalonia is one of the affected areas, is there anything to stop people driving into SW France and getting a plane home from there?

The French government has been actively considering closing the border between Spain and France, so ….

This is a totally-unexpected reaction from the UK Government (the latest of many as regards their ‘control’ of COVID-19). Two comments:-

1. I understand that Grant Shapps is currently in Spain. It would be undeservingly privileged if he were to be exempted from 14 days in quarantine on his return because of his employment (after all the House of Commons is in recess), and that his quarantine should be rigorously checked – and that of any family members or friends who were on holiday with him.

2. Perhaps the Islands should be included in the FCO’s advice for ‘essential travel only’. These are prime targets for the “sea, sun, sex and sangria” brigade, and the Spanish do not deserve to have to deal with or treat our nationals who choose to visit and sadly cannot behave themselves according to decent (though perhaps dinosaur) standards, when the Spanish priority should rightly be to their own nationals or long-term legal residents. They (the Spanish) do not need such ‘imports’ at a time when COVID-19 is still rampant, and the British do not need to have to deal with the consequences of these ‘returning expats’ who risk draining the UK’s already over-stretched health services, hence the need for quarantine … which needs to be controlled strictly both on arrival at the UK airports and subsequently to make sure that the conditions of being quarantined are being adhered to.

I have no dog in this fight. My region is teetering on the brink of returning to being a ‘red’ zone despite fewer visitors from outside the country, but with the school holidays and traditional movement to ‘holiday areas’ being well underway. Please don’t let the UK fall into the same trap.

1 user thanked author for this post.

bluemooner
    Participant

[postquote quote=1004728][/postquote]

Yes, but if successful in getting a flight, or getting a train to Paris, or somewhere that has availability, it will allow Brits to get back and not have to do 14 day quarantine.
    There is no joined up thinking.
    Agree Spanish holidays are now a problem.

nevereconomy
    Participant

This has of course brought home the risks of going anywhere currently – the situation changes so fast that it is not unthinkable that one might find oneself somewhere further afield with no options to get home as was the case not too very long ago. The situation is Spain with tourists behaving badly is also being played out in Ireland
    with Americans not wearing masks etc etc.

MS
    Participant

By the sound of some of you, it’s like it’s the end of the world! Come on! it’s 14 days isolation, you’re not dying!!!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1004741]By the sound of some of you, it’s like it’s the end of the world! Come on! it’s 14 days isolation, you’re not dying!!![/quote]

Absolutely right Congy, it’s 14 days quarantine (not isolation) no doubt UK style (i.e. allowed to go shopping etc).

Without discussing the rights or wrongs or the politics, the bigger question is how observant and respectful will those now required to quarantine, be of the rules.

I was gobsmacked yesterday, undertaking some house renovation, went to a design studio to discuss some of the plans – on entering the studio was asked to sanitise and mask up. I had absolutely zero problem with he request, except the 2 designers who were presenting to me were without mask and stated, the rules do not apply to them as they are working inside the studio.

i wonder how many people who are now obliged to quarantine for 2 weeks will actually do so….

ASK1945
    Participant

[quote quote=1004742]Absolutely right Congy, it’s 14 days quarantine (not isolation) no doubt UK style (i.e. allowed to go shopping etc).[/quote]

Martyn (and Congy, who you quoted)

This is a very self-centred statement, unlike your usual postings. A 14 days’ quarantine (given the permissions to leave the house) may not affect you and certainly would have little effect on my or my wife’s lives, as we are retired.

However, if for those who have just left the UK on holiday – having been cajoled by Boris to start a normal life, in the expectation of being able to return to their job in two weeks’ time, perhaps at a time when their employer is desperate for their return, it’s a wholly different ball game.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1004744]This is a very self-centred statement, unlike your usual postings. A 14 days’ quarantine (given the permissions to leave the house) may not affect you and certainly would have little effect on my or my wife’s lives, as we are retired.

However, if for those who have just left the UK on holiday – having been cajoled by Boris to start a normal life, in the expectation of being able to return to their job in two weeks’ time, perhaps at a time when their employer is desperate for their return, it’s a wholly different ball game.[/quote]

Purposely avoided any discussion on the rights or wrongs of the quarantine decision. The fact is the restriction has been made and it has to be assumed the advice of the Government advisers were part of the process.

As for any effect on members of the public, agree, it will have little effect, unless of course those that do not decide to quarantine, who are meant to quarantine, happen to have unknowingly been infected… and then it has everything to do with members of the public. Surely, this is all part of why the rules have changed…

The Government is in a no win situation. There have been many commentaries about the Government being too slow to act, now there commentaries that they are being too hasty

Just follow the rules – I agree these are very challenging times…..

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=1004749]The Government is in a no win situation. There have been many commentaries about the Government being too slow to act, now there commentaries that they are being too hasty[/quote]

Indeed it is. When the travel corridors were announced it was always clear that they were subject to periodic review. I’m sure this isn’t the last time that countries will be removed from the approved list based on infection spikes (or indeed added, as a few were added on last week).

I suppose it is human nature that people complain that “something must be done” but when something is done they complain again. A bit like the issues with masks – people complaining for months that masks should be worn, then when the Government acts you have those who feel that it should not apply to them.

As has been the case all the way along the position is that we all have a choice. Either we travel and accept the associated risks/constraints, or we stay at home wearing PPE with the windows shut and minimise them. Unfortunately in this case some people will be caught out (including Grant Shapps, who has confirmed he will finish his holiday and then isolate), but then these are not really predictable times and I doubt the Government deliberately set out to impact people in this way. Short of shutting down all the airports and airlines (which would no doubt please some people) I don’t see much alternative here.

Inga
    Participant

Luckily we went to Spain last week and are already back…it’s all very ridiculous as spikes at a nightclub in Catalonia or an immigrant centre in Malaga aren’t relevant to British families holidaying in the Canaries or Balearics. And the UK rate is STILL higher than Spain.

It’s not the getting into Spain that’s the problem – it’s the form you need to fill in 48 hours before your return to the UK, which asks which countries you’ve visited in the last 2 weeks. If you admit to Spain, even if you’ve flown back/got the ferry from France, you’re still mandated to quarentine. Will be interesting to see what Grant Shapps does on his return from Spain!

PeterCoultas
    Participant

Why quarantine if returning from ANY country if that country is dealing with covid BETTER than the UK… totally bonkers Boris again

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=1004808][/postquote]

But there are more cases in Spain than UK – both actual and per ‘000 people.

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=1004721][/postquote]

Actually the number of cases in Spain is higher, and number of cases per 1,000 population is much higher.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Shapps has already indicated his intention to isolate so there is no story to spin there either. Really it’s doubtful he would cut corners on that as the press will no doubt be trying hard to catch him out.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-politics-53543198

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls