Complete chaos at T5 arrivals this morning

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 74 total)

• Bucksnet
    Participant

VK, no I don’t. This is a serious issue and your stupid posts don’t help matters at all.

Binman62
    Participant

I too have written to the home secretary compliaing of the situation at heathrow. It may have little impact, it may cost her to reply. 

I do not subscribe to the idea I should tug my forelock and be grateful for lot. 

The above link to that site is beneath contempt. …not funny

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

T1 this morning, 0845 – 1 hour to clear immigration, Iris u/s.

VintageKrug
    Participant

As explained before, you need to write to your MP, not the Minister. If you have an MP.

RichHI1
    Participant

Maybe we should go to the ECHR? Not being allowed into our own country for hours, isn’t that a breach of something?

RichHI1
    Participant

Ms May seems to have made another miscalculation…

http://lawyersforlondon.co.uk/2012/04/abu-qatada-appeal-halts-deportation/

The emabrrassment for the Government at the Council of Europe meeting to reform the ECHR is not going to win her the support she was hoping for.

Enough is enough…

tiggerbrown
    Participant

VK: you presume to know that Theresa isn’t my MP.

As for your critique on the content of my communication: you clearly think I care or may be influenced by your tone. You’re wrong.

RichHI1
    Participant

tiggerbrown, my MP has been corresponding with Damian Green who has ministerial responsibility for the UKBA. After all Ms May does not have a good history of knowing wht is going on in UK airports.

Bucksnet
    Participant

Enough already. Leave the EU, deport any foreign trouble makers and shut down CP.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

wanula72, I am very surprised it took more than an hour to get through immigration in HK – their stated target is that 95% of visitors (the target is higher for residents at 98%) should wait no more than 15 minutes – and they achieved this target last year, so I think your statement that they aren’t competent to run the airport is a bit harsh. Things go wrong in the best-run airports, which is why they don’t always hit the target. Unfortunately, the UKBA sound as though they would fail to hit that target rather more of the time…

Nonetheless, given you took more than an hour, can I please encourage you to complain. Here is an extract from their Performance Pledge:

There will be occasions when, despite our best efforts, we are unable to provide the services within the specified standards. In such cases, you may ask for a full and prompt explanation. If you want such an explanation or if you feel that your case has not been dealt with adequately, you may:
    • raise it on the spot to the officer-in-charge; or
    • telephone our Customer Services Unit during office hours on 2829 4141 or 2829 4142 ; or
    • write to Chief Immigration Officer (Management Audit) … by e-mail at <a href="mailto:[email protected]“>[email protected]

Wherever possible, the Department will respond immediately. All complaints, whether written or oral, will be dealt with expeditiously and an interim reply will be given within 10 days at the latest.
    UNQUOTE

Binman62
    Participant

HKG queues can at times look horrible however they use what is known as Disney style queue system meaning that the person in front gets the first available agent. LHR have only just moved to this type of system…not that it helps………I have had to wait 15-20 minutes at HKG but never longer and I do not have Residence or a HKG I’d card, nationals and those with appropriate documents never wait that long.
    Again we are talking about a set up that is well managed, staffed by professional, efficient and in the main welcoming individuals.
    Entry to the UK by comparison is woeful.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Well, one the rare occasions I have used the manned gates, I’ve always found them charming; as with much in life, the reaction you get from others is often determined by the way in which you approach them.

Others’ consistently bad experiences in many aspects of their journey might be telling in this regard.

Here is the UKBA website; it would be interesting to note whether a similar “performance target” exists, if it’s a reasonable target as is the case in HK, and if UKBA is reaching that target:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

I see that VK has upgraded to v5.9 of the virtual traveller sim, which has a ‘smiley agent’ feature.

capetonianm
    Participant

One of the many reasons I try to limit my visits to the UK is the chaos and the rudeness one encounters when arriving at the UKBA entry points. I have frequently received better service in countries which admit to being third world.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

Just completed a three day work trip to Jeddah, which is currently heaving with Umrah pilgrims – think Olympics in impact.

Entry to KSA took about 20 minutes and exit was a little longer at 30 minutes.

I by no means think that the Saudis are good at organising and the border police can be rude and bloody minded, but what was obvious compared to my arrival at Heathrow, is that they had a plan to deal with the crowds.

On departure, which was manic, they had created ‘holding areas’ controlled by airport staff, so that the actual immigration queues were reasonable and the immigration hall was not overcrowded.

They then let batches of people through to control the flow.

The queue I was in got out of control as some people tried to push through, so the policeman came out of his booth, sent them to the back and then moved the barrier to prevent a re-occurence.

I can’t say that queueing for 30 minutes was a pleasant experience, but it was under positive control, in comparison to T1, where GS4 staff just looked on passively.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 74 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls