Complete chaos at T5 arrivals this morning

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 74 total)

• VintageKrug
    Participant

Gosh, do any of you actually look beyond the headlines?

There’s no question that the hugely inefficient UKBA was massively overstaffed; to address this there have been reductions in staff concomitant with the reduction in flights seen during the recession, as well as improvements in technology (such as e-gates and IRIS) which reduce demand for officers.

Now demand is picking up somewhat, this is showing, but largely because the Unions cannot stand automation, and frequently tak some time to report faulty equipment.

They’re also on a go slow, and scheduling is not being done to align with peak passenger periods, but rather to amplify the problem to encourage the government to hire more staff and increase salaries.

While on my two passes through the border in the past few days have been IRIS and trouble free, with no sign of any queues, it’s clear the PCS Union is trying to make a point, without urging its members to deliver productivity improvements.

Another strike scheduled for May 10; as was the case last time we’ll probably only see an improvement in clearing times as the militants stay home.

RichHI1
    Participant

No doubt all that is so but the spin coming from Damian Green and the government about IRIS is inexcusable. Either they have a hidden agenda or they do not understand. IRIS works, it is great, it was a good use of funds, more so than more UKBA staffing or EU restrcited EPASS machines.The more these lies about IRIS being no good are circulated the more the ignorant believe it. It is deceitful and misleading and this campaign to smear IRIS needs to be exposed for the sham it is.

Bucksnet
    Participant

Agreed Rich. Green is probably CP.

tiggerbrown
    Participant

A copy of what I emailed <a href="mailto:[email protected]“>[email protected]

“Dear Theresa

Can you please explain how often your staff intend to provide an abysmal service as was witnessed at passport control on Tuesday morning 17/04/12?

And can you please let me know what on earth you’re planning to do about it?

I look forward to your reply.”

I wonder what the response will be.

Bucksnet
    Participant

Another CP asset, so don’t hold your breath.

TheMidasGold
    Participant

VK is right. Until the Communists get a rocket up then and understand they have to work for a living, little is likely to change!

The move to automation was a bold one and I for one have saved several days of my life thanks to Iris.

Any plans for BT to cover this in future editions?

RichHI1
    Participant

TheMidasGold, completely agree we need an end to Spanish practices however Mrs May and Mr Green both need a firm kick up their proverbials to stop the spreading of lies about and the cancellation of IRIS until there is a satisfactiry alternative. I find it regrettable that politics are used to obfuscate the issue and allow hidden agendas to prosper.

Binman62
    Participant

Oh dear…here we go again

When we have failed to manage, develop or take staff with us lets blame them….it is the mantra of the unacceptable face of capitalism.

Cosmo Duff is indeed alive and well and still sitting in his life boat, all on his own and to hell with everyone else.

I live in country where people who earn over £10 million a year pay little income tax and have just received a tax cut, yet hard working people (including in UKBA) are pilloried for wanting to protect what they have. That is the right of every individual and is for managers to manage and to ensure that staffs are taken with them on any change process.

Staff cannot stand in the way of progress but in almost 30 years of management I have rarely encountered staff who do, only managers who cannot manage properly and consequently resort to bullying and harassment as they have nothing else to offer.

Even if it were true that UKBA was overstaffed it needs to be remembered that this is a customer facing business and the welcome or lack of it, at LHR or elsewhere, sends out messages to the world.

The technology is not fit for purpose and that is also a failing of managers. I was registered for IRIS in the early days but my experience was never positive. The new E readers just do not work well enough and the manual checks for UK citizens are far too long particularly as my details will have been with the authorities for at least an hour before I get to the desk.

There was no strategy for managing the staff reductions, they were imposed, not discussed or negotiated, and the process shows scant regard for people, both employees and customers.

The queues are unacceptable but we cannot blame the staff.

VintageKrug
    Participant

tigger, you need to write to your own MP directly, who will then get in touch with the department in question; Ministers will not respond to direct communications.

Particularly such a sensationalist rant, which is rather a waste of space.

Emails like that, if indeed it is acknowledged, can sometimes cost hundreds of pounds to answer (sounds high, but if you work out all the things involved in responding to a letter, plus research if necessary, you’ll realise it’s not far off the mark). It’s important to bear that in mind before your own taxes are put to work answering such communications.

It’s a shame you didn’t take the time to write a considered and well structured communication, which might have garnered a more edifying response.

RichHI1
    Participant

As linked topic, my MP is still waiting for a reply from the Minister with regard to Flux, IRIS future and expedited International Security. It is taking much longer than last uear when the reply was conducting tests.

I suspect this whole issue has been seen as politically irrelevant compared to other domestic concerns but if the Olympics is a complete disaster I can see Cameron and Co having to rush into fire fighting mode. Her Majesty’s Opposition and the redoubtable Ms Cooper will then blame everything on the current administration. Whereas both side are to blame. As another poster observed, STOP THE POLITICS AND FIX IT NOW. This means a holistic approach not trying to blame everything on one party. For goodness sake all we want is a means to enter the country which is not a total shambles. And while we are at it, have some backbone with the EU. There should be a UK and Ireland LIne, an EU/Schengen line and an others line.

VintageKrug
    Participant

I do think it’s fair to say that fair warning has been given; there’s no excuse for the UKBA to mess up.

What is the PCS union doing to ensure smooth running over the Olympics? Just demanding more money isn’t going to cut it. Quite a lot of this rests with them; if they choose to be disruptive, then there is a high chance that there will be issues, though hopefully the contingency will overcome these issues.

I wonder if Border Staff are taking leave now, in anticipation of leave being discouraged over the Olympics period?

Londonzurich
    Participant

Do people not use the e-gates at LHR? They have always worked for me during my last 10 visits over three months and I was always through in less than five minutes. It is very easy and efficient. Of course you need a biometric passport but it is well worth it to bypass the queue.

Bucksnet
    Participant

Rich, nothing much will happen until the CP problem is dealt with.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Do you subscribe to this website, Bucksnet?

http://www.davidicke.com/

RichHI1
    Participant

VintageKrug – 17/04/2012 21:05 GMT

Not so fast, has Ms May dropped the ball again?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 74 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls