Club World.. Montreal to Heathrow.. & food update.

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)

• Anonymous

Bullfrog
    Participant

Just flown back CW from Montreal.

I know there had been a previous thread about meal service in CW.

No menu was given, and the late night option was a chicken sandwich, chicken curry or A N Other dish. I opted for the sandwich which was ‘two slabs of bread’ with an okish piece of chicken.

Whilst I know it is only a 6 hour flight, I actually told the crew that I would go without the sandwich & have the breakfast. I was informed that this was only a continental breakfast, although served with bacon sandwiches.

The fruit salad was in a plastic container & just about ok. No espresso was available, so I drank the tasteless coffee. I had a croissant. The bacon roll appeared which was not my thing, and again serving it between ‘brick thick bread’ is a joke.

I dread to think what the economy passengers were served.

I sat in seat 11 A as suggested by VK & others … good choice. Thank you. I got 4 hours sleep out of the 5 & 1/2 hour flight. Seat was fairly good & bed comfortable.

Stowage222
    Participant

Bullfrog – ‘down the back’ it’s a muffin and coffee!

rferguson
    Participant

Bullfrog, you experienced the delights of the ‘Sleeper Service’. This applies to flights departing the east coast after 20:00.

BA assumes that everyone will use the lounge to dine pre-flight and then sleep the whole journey. In fairness, on these services I have worked on the uptake of food is around 15% in Club. In fact the flight is only catered for 50% of the load in Club. But what we do offer should at least be of a high quality.

Odd you werent given a menu though. These should have been handed out before takeoff.

I totally agree with you regarding the continental breakfast. The presentation is shocking for a premium cabin.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

On a 6 hour night flight, there is a balance between a quick or full meal service and a nap or a sleep. Personally I detest these short night hops becasue firstly the cabin lights are dimmed for take off and then whoosh, just as you are dozing off, the full lights come back on, not sure why!

I havent used the Boston service, but certainly from JFK, there is a lovely lounge, good meal service, so once on board, lights dimmed, lights on, lights off.

I have been known to fly to the west coast in order to get a longer night flight so a good nights sleep can be enjoyed.

I know why the cabin lights are dimmed for take off, but would be interested to know why they have to come back on after take off and kind of wake everyone up again.

I know not everyone can eat before a night flight, but a full lights off sleeper service would be a great enhancement, with seats being allowed reclined, which some are, for take off.

Binman62
    Participant

Yes….what is with the lights….why not turn them down…Even ex HKG at midnight they are put back on for up to 2 hours in the club cabin….it is wholly unecessary. Out of the East coast all you want o do is sleep in my experience.

JulianCucumberpatch
    Participant

There is no need for the cabin lights to be put back on after take off.

On my flights, those passengers who are awake and want to eat, have their reading lights switched on.

Bullfrog
    Participant

Thanks for all your posts.

I appreciate it is a sleeper fight & did not need anything to eat.

My criticism is levelled more at the dreadful breakfast. I popped a sleeping pill & slept for 4 hours out of the 5 & 1/2 flight. A proper breakfast & an espresso is the least to be expected in a premium cabin.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

oooh how was the lounge? i am there in dec 😉 and stuck for hours at the airport. xxxx

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

Bullfrog: I support your thought and expectation of something DECENT on offer by a GOOD airline (or purporting to be one) NO MATTER at what hour is the flight.

The quantity can be adjusted accordingly to the time of day but NOT sacrifice on quality!!!!!!

Rferguson understands this principle.

Bullfrog
    Participant

The lounge is dreadful …

Club World product is a Business Class product; staff onboard professional, competent and friendly. The Club World meal service is economy level fare ‘all round’.

LeTigre
    Participant

When you are paying £2k plus for a premium cabin which boasts quality catering one would at least expect food worth a few hundred pounds, even if not Michelin starred cuisine. Perhaps Etihad could teach BA a few things about a consistently good food offering…

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I had the most delicious rissotto to BKK last night in NCW. Simple and superb. Beetroot based.

Well down Chef

Stowage222
    Participant

I’m not really sure why you’d want to bother with the breakfast on this route as I’d prefer to visit the arrivals lounge in T5, time permitting. Onboard, a coffee and maybe some fruit will do 45 mins from touchdown.

Bullfrog
    Participant

@Stowage222

Living in NW London, the last thing I would do after any flight into Heathrow is spend time in an Arrivals Lounge.

Indeed you are right, the breakfast on this flight is a waste of time. A pitiful meal for a Business Class service.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls