Cityjet to buy Russian Sukhoi Superjets

Back to Forum
Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

According to this piece on aironline.com the only carrier in the Americas to operate the Superjet is Mexico’s Interjet.

Belgian carrier VLM had been expected to acquire a number of Superjets but the order was delayed until a longer range version could gain certification.

http://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/air-transport/2015-03-02/vlm-delays-superjet-deliveries

dutchyankee
    Participant

@MartynSinclair – 15/10/2015 22:31 BST

Hi Martyn, according to the article linked by Alex above, InterJet of Mexico has been operating the Sukhoi Super Jet and has ordered more.

@AMcWhirter – 15/10/2015 23:10 BST

Alex, thanks for that link, and hence when I said I would probably only try this plane when it is operated by VLM as I reside part time in Antwerp. The runway in Antwerp restricts operations to mainly very short landing capable aircraft. The options to extend the runway by building a tunnel for the highway have faltered, so for now, no real options on that front, so an aircraft like the Sukhoi will give VLM the operational opportunity to fly longer routes from their very convenient base. For the reasons already mentioned by many here, I wish they had opted for Bombardier’s C series (if it can do LCY it can do ANR), or the Embraer family instead of a Russian sold aircraft, but it looks like a great aircraft none the less.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Hello dutchyankee

Various factors influence an airline’s choice of aircraft. In the case of the Superjet it must have been an attractive price but other factors like spares and delivery dates may also have played a role.

Like the Superjet, Bombardier’s C series awaits certification for LCY.

Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls