Cityjet to buy Russian Sukhoi Superjets

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

The full story is in today’s Irish Times.

Value of the deal is US$ 1 billion. Cityjet is the launch carrier for the Sukhoi Superjet. It will lease 15 aircraft with the option to add a further 10 to its fleet.

Cityjet will be the first customer in Europe (with the exception of Russia) for this aircraft which is described as using a number of valuable components from European manufacturers.

Cityjet has reached an agreement with aircraft financier Falko, which will purchase the new aircraft and lease them back to Cityjet.

Superjet can accommodate 98 passengers in a five-across layout.

The article says that the Superjet is the first in its class to offer five-abreast seating. Is this really correct ?

I ask, because the BAe146 was originally fitted with five-abreast seating but over the years most operators decided to install a tighter 3-3- layout. One notable exception is, I believe, Swiss which still configures its BAe146s five-across.

If all goes according to plan, we’ll be seeing the Superjet at LCY in a couple of years’ time.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/cityjet-set-to-renew-fleet-in-900-million-deal-1.2390693

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ WestBay – 14/10/2015 06:25 BST

Whether you (or I) like it or not, “stupid politics” is in everything you and I do, including in our purchasing decisions. The fact that Germany has built the world’s most powerful export-oriented economy has awarded it political leadership of Europe and the European Union. The two are pretty well inextricably linked. The same can be said of the USA and PRC.

One fundamental difference between modern Germany and contemporary Russia is that the former has faced up to its history, the latter emphatically refuses to do so.

dutchyankee
    Participant

Actually AnthonyDunn the latter not only faces up to it, but wants to recreate it and relive it, that’s the worry!

JohnPres
    Participant

Sukhoi are a Russian company. Maybe you are mixing them up with Antonov who are Ukranian. Ukraine has admitted shooting down civilian flight Siberia Airways 1812 in 2001 and is suspected of shooting down MH17. Many planes we fly on are also from US companies and the US also has past form having shot down a civil Iranian airliner. Russia is suspected of playing a part on the MH17 shoot down but I can’t find any confirmed history of this kind if activity in relation to Russia.

Can’t wait to see the super jet in ie!

canucklad
    Participant

Mmmmm,
    Didn’t realise it was a 5 across configuration…..
    Given the choice, I’d fly on a FlyBe Embraer instead I’m afraid.

dutchyankee
    Participant

Yes 5 across like the C Series. Alex is right that LX still have the 146’s with 5 across.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@JohnPres – 14/10/2015 13:41 BST

There are some factually extremely tendentious assertions in your posting. However, at this point, it looks as if we are back to the number of seats across configuration to this aircraft.

MrMichael
    Participant

@JohnPres – 14/10/2015 13:41 BST
    How about Korean Air 902, or Korean Air 007. Both shot down by the Russian military. However, and I am no defender of Russia, history is literally littered with the remnants of airliners shot down either deliberately or accidentally.

MarcusGB
    Participant

Back to the subject, having flown out from AMS yesterday on the avro 85 Cityet, it really has had its day. It was dirty, windows scratched and unclean inside (Again), with the plane both outside and in looking shabby and poorly maintained with broken lights down the plane every few seats. When the door was opened at the back, i was shocked to see the many wiring systems in and through the door , exposed and not covered partly, bits broken off.

Surely they could lease some better aircraft than this?

Having flown them more regularly commuting to AMS weekly for a 2nd home and work, they have just got worse and worse.
    Routes have closed, and their aircraft less people on board when they used to be full.They are no longer the largest Airline at LCY.
    Who would not want the Embraer Aircraft of BA or KLM’s own, to fly the same route for the same price or less? They have lost so many routes, and passengers to other airlines. The planes are needed now, leased and not running these 20+ year old poorly maintained and poorly cleaned planes

Elegant8
    Participant

“stupid adventurism” ???
    Did anyone in their right mind ever think that some ignorant peasants who supplied with a Russian built BUK missile battery would shoot down an unarmed civilian airliner…or maybe it was a Russian manning it ????

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Aerotelegraph.com today carries an interview (in German) with Cityjet’s Peter Oncken.

Two questions will be of interest.

Question 1

* Aerotelegraph: Was the price [for the Superjet] decisive, which is likely due to rouble devaluation [and] indeed be unbeatable ?

* Peter Oncken: I’d be lying if the price would not have played a role.

Question 2

* Aerotelegraph: Are you afraid of the reluctance of many passengers against a Russian plane ?

* Peter Oncken: No, I am not. Firstly, the Superjet is strictly speaking not a Russian aircraft – almost 80 per cent of the parts used are European. On the other hand, this point is clearly overstated. Who enters this Cityjet aircraft, will be delighted by its interior. Since nobody will give a thought to the origin of the aircraft.

(I translated using Google).

http://www.aerotelegraph.com/preis-der-c-series-eine-ziemliche-herausforderung

canucklad
    Participant

Well Alex, I’m assuming CityJet paid extra to have the CYrillic writing removed from Exit Signs, toilets, etc, etc… : )

MrMichael
    Participant

It’s not where the bits came from, but who put them all together that bothers me.

Seriously, I rarely use CityJet, but new aircraft are sorely needed from my recollection. I look forward to flying on the vodka fueled Sukhoi.

azri1990
    Participant

Indeed! Should boycotts Russian products!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

With no American carrier buying the A380 (yet) I wonder if the Sukhoi Super Jet will ever appear in the USA?

Are there any other Western Airlines flying Russian made jets..?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls