China release first coronavirus vaccine for use by the Army

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

• canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=1003830]What are the hopes this vaccine could help us?[/quote]

IMO, none at all… if anything it’ll be used as leverage to manipulate markets and influence power in certain countries, particularly in Africa

1 user thanked author for this post.

ASK1945
    Participant

From the BBC website this morning:

US infectious disease chief Dr Anthony Fauci has welcomed the news a vaccine trial is about to enter its final phase.The vaccine, developed by the US pharmaceutical company Moderna, has already proved safe and provoked immune responses in all 45 volunteers in phase-one trials. The last stage of the trials is expected to begin later this month and will involve recruiting 30,000 participants in the US.

“No matter how you slice this, this is good news,” Dr Fauci told The Associated Press news agency.

The third phase of the study should run until October 2022 but preliminary results should be available long before.

Moderna was the first company to start human testing of a vaccine back in March.”

A major step forward, or a false dawn?

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=1003840]A major step forward, or a false dawn?[/quote]

Without getting to political ….. Unless you’re American , then my previous answer still applies , sadly just viewing it from a different perspective. At least until January !!
    The saddest aspect of this whole thing is the seemingly absolute lack of collaboration and transparency between those who could have greatly influenced a different outcome

SimonS1
    Participant

I think at this stage I prefer to ignore the spin and reserve judgement until something emerges from the trials stage. After all we have heard so many false stories over the last 3 months of x vaccine and y drug, ranging from the serious to the ridiculous (like the bleach nonsense).

Of course at any point in time there will be many drugs that look promising for treating many illnesses, the vast majority of which never actually make it to the pharmacy.

Terms like “relatively high” immune response could mean anything…..after all when compared to zero even 5% would be relatively high.

4 users thanked author for this post.

Swissdiver
    Participant

The stake is so high that it is difficult to assess any progress in a world where even the knowledge about that thing is relative… So I am afraid we will need to see a vaccine actually working before we can adopt it. The hope might however come from a cure, if any.

Interestingly we see companies moving on in this new environment, signalling the business considers it will last. That’s a little bit of hope for the consultant I am…

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=1003959]Interestingly we see companies moving on in this new environment, signalling the business considers it will last. That’s a little bit of hope for the consultant I am…[/quote]

And that’s the danger … as the the malaise of acceptance beds in, the urgency to resolve and remove (eradicate) recedes.
    Using the already hard hit high street as an example, including pubs, bookies , hairdressers etc , the long term consequences of enforced mask wearing will have the same if not worse detrimental effect on retail jobs as the smoking ban had on pubs .
    And IMO, the travel industry as well.

Accepting this all as the new norm , is accepting that a dystopian society is an acceptable future for the younger generation

EDIT -Which is why, we should not be trading and being tougher with the country that started it all…..at least not until they’ve taken REAL action against inhumane , filthy cruel husbandry practices . Verified by independent organisations

Swissdiver
    Participant

[postquote quote=1003982][/postquote]

Agree if it was on the long run. But it won’t. That said, yes, I am afraid we will see lots of bankruptcies as soon as the governments’ help stop.

simeoncox
    Participant

“the country that started it all…”?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-52526554

I’ll wait until all the science is in.

1 user thanked author for this post.

canucklad
    Participant

Hi simeoncox — At no point did the article suggest that it didn’t originate anywhere else other than Wuhan ….

Quote from the article …
    But Dr Cohen pointed out that the patient’s wife worked at a supermarket near Charles de Gaulle airport and could have come into contact with people who had recently arrived from China. The patient’s wife said that “often customers would come directly from the airport, still carrying their suitcases”.

If we start believing the narrative that China is peddling, we are in serious danger of repeated and stronger viruses

cwoodward
    Participant

A couple of recent articals that I found interesting.

An interesting one featuring some China chest beating from the NY Times

and also the more balanced re the Oxford development
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/oxford-coronavirus-vaccine-phase-1-lancet/2020/07/20/12fbbc92-c857-11ea-a825-8722004e4150_story.html

I have exercised my prerogative to report a couple of the above posts for ‘inappropriate content’ this because I do not believe that the overtly political content voiced has a place on this forum. Not because I necessarily disagree with the sentiments expressed.
    What I ask does China being labeled a ‘bully’ have to do in the context of this forum with Business Travel.
    It is a bald and totally political statement that I believe has no place on this forum.

I post on this forum because it is a non-political informed voice for business travellers and I am concerned that some posts in this thread are more about the posters personal political beliefs than about anything related to business travel.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Hello,
    This is a subject that is political in nature so while it is interesting to read the opinions being expressed and I am very grateful for the respect shown by posters to each other’s opinions, it can;t last since the title of the thread will attract others with less moderate views.
    So I;m going to close it.
    thank you
    Tom

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
This topic is marked as closed to new replies, however your posting capabilities still allow you to do so.
The topic ‘China release first coronavirus vaccine for use by the Army’ is closed to new replies.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls