Changes to BA tier mileage bonuses and Discount Economy fare earning

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)

• Anonymous

Travellator
    Participant

BA have as of 1st October increased Silver Tier mileage bonus to 100% instead of the current 25% plus other AA/Iberia associated benefits.

BABenji
    Participant

A significant increase which makes me wonder if there is going to be some “adjustment” in the number of miles required for redemption?

For example, I have an LHR-DXB-LHR booked in January. Up until today I was due to earn around 3500miles. As of today, I am due to earn more than 10000.

It is possible to have a redemption flight to Zone 1 for 9000 miles, and while one is still left having to foot the bill for taxes etc, I can’t imagine there will be much profit from someone wanting to take this option?

Given that the flight to Dubai cost a few hundred pounds (not sure exactly, but definitely less than £500), take 10% of this to cover the cost of a flight to and from Berlin and I can’t imagine BA would be making much money from the whole transaction.

Interested to hear others thoughts on this.

InterestedObserver
    Participant

I don’t know the answer (I just fly with them). But it strikes me that if they are going to align the various FFP programmes, then suddenly increasing the amount of miles I can earn on my flights isn’t necessarily a good thing.

“…Our new transatlantic joint business with our partners American Airlines and Iberia means that … [the good news]… There’s also lounge benefits too. British Airways’ Gold card holders, traveling

CHECK OUT THE ONE “l” IN THAT LAST LINE – WHO WROTE THIS – ANSWER – THE AMERICANS!!!!!!!!!

in economy on American Airlines transatlantic flights, will be entitled to use the American Airlines’ Arrivals Lounge in Terminal 3.

GREAT – BUT IMAGINE ALL THEIR TOP TIER USING OURS!

So what do we get out of it?

answer – FREE WIFI IN THE ADMIRAL’S LOUNGE!!!!!!!

British Airways same day international arriving or departing First or Club World passengers using American Airlines Admirals Club domestic lounge network will now be able to access complimentary Wi-Fi – please ask for details at the front desk when you arrive at the Admirals Club.

NTarrant
    Participant

It sounds a good deal and I will be pleased to earn more miles. Unless of course I need to spend more than before to get the same rewards.

excessbaggage
    Participant

So can i just check – Silver cardholders get their tier mileage bonus quadrupled to 100%, but Gold cardholders only get theirs doubled, meaning they get 100% as well. Seems a bit unfair that silver will be worth the same as gold in this respect. Could this have anything to do with reciprocal schemes with Iberia or AA?

Just a quick note to say BA has called a press conference for Wednesday afternoon to go through these FFP changes, and general details of the joint business, so we should have a lot more information after that. In the meantime, here is a PDF on the BA site detailing all previous and new earning benefits across Blue, Silver and Gold tiers:

http://www.britishairways.com/cms/global/pdfs/Frequent_Flyer_Benefits.pdf

Travellator
    Participant

Interested Observer

OUR – I assume you mean BA Arrivals lounge is at Term 5 – AA dont fly in there. And why would anyone if it were possible want to use an AA lounge over and above the Galleries in T5 and indeed T3 ?

VintageKrug
    Participant

I think the point Interested Observer is making is that this could be an issue if this is reciprocal – i.e. AAdvantage top tier travellers flying BA economy into BA T5 being allowed access to the T5 Arrivals lounge.

Because there are so many more AAdvantage members, then that could create capacity issues at T5 Arrivals.

I tend to agree there is potential for difficulty, but there is nothing to say that it is reciprocal (a useful question for BT to ask at the Press Conference/informally) but I also don’t think that many AA members would actually risk flying BA economy as they are almost guaranteed a free upgrade to J on AA and so few would actively choose to fly BA Y if given the choice.

Travellator
    Participant

VK

Sorry Friday night and long week – missed that facet completely but agree with your comments re AA upgrading.

However I recently gained admission to Cathay lounge at T3 on my Silver card although flying BA to AGP to have a peek to to speak, mind you hastily went back to Galleries ! So it could work both ways – in fact I may even try the new Cabin at HKG if BA/Qantas club lounge isnt up to scratch. We flew F last time so didnt use it.

Gold-2K
    Participant

Yes it will be a shock to the AAdvantage members showing up at the BA gate waving their upgrade vouchers and expecting to turn left.

If IB and AA customers can now redeem miles on BA flights, that’s potentially bad news for availability????

Gold-2K
    Participant

On a slightly different note on exec club……… Does anyone know what other airlines do to reward long term loyalty. I have had a n exec gold card for 13 years now, over the last few years getting to 3000 to 4000 tier points. Each year I get my gold card renewed and each year need to do the same as a frst time card holder to retain it. A colleague from netherlands has been given KLM top status for life for having achieved five years (I think) at the top tier, but BA don’t seem to give any recognition for long term patronage.

I know the Premier card is very select and I guess for those spending obscene amounts with the airline, so of course I have no expectation of getting one of those. But it somehow doesn’t feel right that I get exactly the same benefits as someone who is a first time gold card holder courtesy of a status match promo for eg BMI passengers.

Perhaps I get top of the list when they need to upgrade, I have had 2 x J to F invol upgrades this year, which is always a v nice surprise. But maybe an ability to earn more miles on flights or have a lower threshold to earn u/grade vouchers or concord room card could be a way to offer some recognition for long term top tier members.

Of course I may be one of tens of thousands of 10 plus years …….. Anyway just curious to get other opinions?

Curious what others think.

Binman62
    Participant

HampshireUK…..”I know the Premier card is very select and I guess for those spending obscene amounts with the airline,”………
    I think you might be shocked at how little some of these card holders actually spend. The Prem Card is of course very select with at one stage, there being just 1500 holders globally and all at the invitation of the BA board or Chief Executive. The main criteria for being offered one is influence, either on travel policies or simply fellow board member of major companies. There is no doubt that they can be influential individuals but they often book the lowest class as the will invariably be upgraded to a minimum of Club. I have heard that many would not gain a silver card in their own right.
    As for your main point. I think you would find BA very generous if, for some reason, you missed the gold or silver level one year. Past points at the levels you have quoted would be taken into account.
    BA also provides a raft of benefits to those who exceed certain levels of tier points. Concorde room invites 5000 tier points in a year.
    Complimentary silver card for those with 4500 tier points in a year.
    Gold upgarde for two to those with 2500 points in year.
    As has been said here before, the executive club is exclusive to those who actually travel and long may that continue,

CrazyCanuck
    Participant

Dear all,

I hope that the Permier Card on BA really means what it says. Ive been a Gold Card member for life on Gulf Air (an aviation pioneer in this part of the world) for the last few years and I have to say that there is amazingly little brand recognition or rewards for holding this card. The privileges systems of many airlines works in a fog and I guess it works the same in many airlines.

BAdboys
    Participant

According to the senior crew member on my BA flight yesterday, this is a sweetener for Gold card holders prior to the ending of Club Europe on most routes in the near future. These enhanced rewards for economy travel have been set up to ensure Gold customer loyalty.
    It does not seem too bad a deal. OK, we lose CE but Golds get to acquire full tier points and miles for a cheaper fare in economy. But, of course, you have to get to Gold in the first place.

With all the AA Miles holders it will be even more impossible to get a redemption flight on BA!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls