Changes to BA tier mileage bonuses and Discount Economy fare earning

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)

• travelwell
    Participant

BAdboys: what do you mean CE is ending on many routes in Europe ? are they introducing standing seats instead ?

Travellator
    Participant

Cant see CE ending on most european routes.

All of my recent flights to AGP have had huge CE occupancy.

Also BA need CE for PAX transferring at LHR/LGW with onward connections in F or CW.

VintageKrug
    Participant

BAdboys; could I ask whether that was a Gatwick or Heathrow flight?

I would not be surprised to see CE being removed on shorter flights exLGW, but not in the very short term. There are several highly traficked business routes exLGW where CE does very nicely.

I would be VERY surprised to see CE disappear from LHR in the short term (i.e. before 2012), and even after than I think it has a role to play especially on the longer routes over two hours.

Would be interesting to hear of this is doing the rounds on Galley Fm Gatwick or Heathrow, as it’s more likely to have some semblance of truth at LGW.

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/joint-business-launch/public/en_gb

BAdboys
    Participant

VK AGP-LHR

Travellator
    Participant

This is the route I talked about – almost 15 rows of Club on our last trip.

There are many VIPs using this route – cannot see Antonio Banderas and Sharon Stone doing Euro Traveller or Mick Hucknall for that matter

BAdboys
    Participant

Hi Travellator

I have known one of the BA airport duty managers for many years at AGP. He often gets a very high economy overbooking profile on that route and has to use many of those CE seats to accomodate his excess from Y. Also it is a very popular route for BA staff for holidays and commuting and he has to use CE for those as well. So, it may well look like a full cabin but there is often little revenue there, So that is why you dont get an empty seat beside you….all the upgrades!

VintageKrug
    Participant

Er…CE is a flexible cabin; so most of the forward rows are easily converted back into economy (with 50% more available seats) in cases of overbooking.

Upgrades to CE are VERY rare indeed.

flier74
    Participant

Well the minimum of Club Europe is 3 rows, ie. 12 seats. And while there is the occasional upgrade due to Overbooking BA tries to keep them to a minimum to be honest. Club Europe is a good product and on certain routes, i.e. AGP, very busy with regular Club travellers. Have just returned today from Madrid with 32 CE Pax and earlier this week with 48 from FRA, followd by 52 on a A320 to NCE the day after. On all occasions Euro Traveller was not full and Club was close to full capacity so I suspect no upgrades as there was no need. As I fly to and from Germany on many occasions too I generally find BAs Club by far busier than LH Business Class so I doubt very much that BA will abandon Club Europe. There may be the odd route in the rumour mill but I doubt it very much, Yes there is the odd flight with only 3 or 4 in Club but hey thats Airline life depending on day and time of the flight.

Daytripper
    Participant

Skipping back a little in this thread, in the hope that someone in BA is listening…

This year, after 10 years’ gold card status with BMI, I received my lifetime BMI gold membership (i hope that BMI survives long-term in some shape or form, or at least its Diamond Club does….)

I’ve been a Gold card holder with BA for even longer, putting a huge amount into their coffers in the process; yet no similar lifetime reward for years of loyalty exists…

For me this would be the ULTIMATE benefit – knowing that I can enjoy status privileges when I’m well past the frequent flying era of life.

Please BA… since you’re clearly thinking about the Exec Club benefits- can you please make this happen?

BABenji
    Participant

Qantas offer this. Lifetime Gold Status (equivalent of BA Silver) once 4500 Status Credits has been achieved.

To give this some perspective:

Gold with Qantas can be achieved with 450 Status points. An LHR-SYD-LHR in J will yield 480 Status points.

BAdboys
    Participant

VK…..upgrades are very common…thankfully, at times and many of the upgrades are on staff tickets.

The aircraft configuration is set by load control approx 24 hours before when the load goes ”to the airport” and they get control of the flight. The divider position is decided at that point, as is the catering figure. Many destinations on short haul are catered out of base with return catering loaded there as the cheapest option. On this basis, these days, the diivider for the return flight is seldom moved, it is easier to upgrade.

Travellator
    Participant

You can check the configuration of the flight you are booked on at Manage My Booking obviously but only if you are Silver or above or have paid for pre booked seats.

OR try http://www.checkmytrip.com it is powered by Amadeus – it is amazing how the configuration changes, all you need is your booking reference.
    It is functional for most airlines including BMi

Gold-2K
    Participant

Following the press conference this week, did anyone pick up on the logic why gold and silver card members now get the same number of miles per trip. I know miles have gone up for both tiers but now no additional benefit for gold card holders?

richiecallis
    Participant

BA Benji, I thought it was 600 miles for Qantas gold and 7000 for lifetime silver…. I am registered in the UK, does this make a difference?

BABenji
    Participant

richiecallis,

you are right. i was talking complete rubbish in my earlier thread. apologies for the incorrect info.

7000 for lifetime Silver
    14000 for lifetime Gold

anyone more familiar with the scheme able to put me out of my misery and advise if there has ever been a 4500 Status Credit target for lifetime Gold with Qantas, or am I losing my marbles??

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls