Cathay Business – disappointed

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)

• esselle
    Participant

I flew CX down to MEL 10 days or so ago. 773 on first sector and 333 on second, having not experienced their long haul J product for some years.

Both sectors were flawless, from cleanliness, to personal welcome by their SCCM, to service and catering. As has been said by RF and others, no huge “wow” but absolutely nothing to be unhappy about, except the woefully below par shared lounge at MAN.

Starting the journey home later today with a couple of days shopping in Hong Kong on the way back. No thoughts about ” I wonder if it will be OK” which is my default BA F starting point, more ” I expect it will be absolutely fine”.

Tallinnman
    Participant

Flew CX Business in November and agree with all the other positive posts.
    Like RF I like the different styles of the lounges in Hong Kong.

As a very tall traveller I find their seat excellent – very well designed and great for sleeping.

Service was very good – they’d run out of the snack I wanted but dinner was about to be served anyway.

Shame the OP had a bad experience on his first flight.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

Ultimately this thread is about the response to a complaint rather than the merits or not of the complaint itself and a number of posts here have looked at the ‘argument’ from a number of angles. Looking at the Cathay response it is probably a cut and paste job from a series or even library of templates they use. That is not an excuse. more a reality. That said some might say a poor response is worse that no reply at all and everyone has differing views on that. Would they write to me, as a long serving Diamond member, for 21 years any differently? I would certainly expect that. If the response been ‘more personal ‘ and humble then the recipient might have been less irritated. Interestingly those few instances over those 21 years where it did go wrong were met with an up front ‘we got it wrong, we are very sorry and this is how we are going to out it right. A lesson for all companies to treat complaints as nuggets of gold.

K1ngston
    Participant

+1 ferguson well balanced and spot on I could not agree with you more!

+1 CathayLoyalist2 as the thread has been overtaken by which flight is better etc, you are absolutely right its how the various companies deal with the times things are not right, we all have a wonderful choice when it comes to flying and I for one prefer CX for their consistency, the fact I gain my tier points etc, but also because they value me whether I am in F, J or Y !

I will never ever go near a Virgin product as they refused to recognise a genuine complaint of mine in 2006. I flew everywhere with them and they chose to palm me off, so airlines beware we are a fickle bunch but so very very important ,,,,,

ExecPlatAA
    Participant

All right folks, I have been reading these posts and as I am the original poster, I would like to clarify some points:
    1. This was not my first CX flight – far from it. I have been OW Emerald for the past 14 years, and as such use AA, CX and BA primarily and lately QR. I have flown CX many, many times in all classes (and in at least 4 of their past business configs both long regional and trans pacific, economy and a couple different First configs). I would not use them for paid flights if I thought they were sub- par – quite the opposite. I think they are awesome, but one this occasion they were not and in my personal opinion (isn’t that what we all do on this site – give personal opinions?) their new business class hard product is not up to my liking. Yes, QR and AA have similar (not same) seats, but AA have made the cabin on the 777-ER more inviting and spacious (cant imagine why, as no one would accuse AA of leadership in luxury!), and QR are a class part in these and even their 777-LR seats. That’s all folks – this is my personal opinion.
    2. As far as the service lapses, yes, no big deal and they are indeed first world problems – well, flying business and First class is indeed just that – a first world indulgence. Even for those like me who log over 150K miles/year, we can indeed fly coach, but either choose to pay the extra $, have companies that allow us due to various reasons, or simply use our status for the upgrades.
    3. If I am a paying passenger, not using free tickets etc, I do have a higher standard and it is indeed the job of the airline to go that extra mile in premium cabins. CSD, should (and do on most occasions – I was on CX this morning from HKG-PVG and a very polite CSD chatted with all of us) recognize premium passengers and say hello. Also, reducing galley noise and not banging closet doors for a 14 hr flight, is common courtesy (surely even on BA?!) and I am entitled to my disappointment. As far as the response and compensation issue, I could care less for the $ – a response is better than a no response for sure, but a well thought out response is the better option and I for one expect that. And as far as consistency goes, a business can also be consistently average or below market standards and paying customers can comment and vote with their wallets accordingly. US carriers are consistent in their average offerings, should that give them a pass? We should never expect more after all they are consistent in their average offerings? Nope, does not cut mustard – at least with me.
    4. Final thoughts – I will not likely fly CX business on a paid ticket, if I have a choice of using QR. Ditto for AA in 777-ER. Between BA and CX – come on, of course CX.
    5. Fun (and active topic) for sure!

cityprofessional
    Participant

Fair enough ExPlatAA, it is personal opinion 🙂

Out of curiosity would you choose QR and AA over CX if the flight had an old lie flat seat? How do you feel about aircraft substitutions? I’ve never had a short haul CX seat on a long haul flight, but, boy, QR doesn’t half change its mind between recliners and proper flat beds…

IMHO, I prefer the consistency of a bed, but YMMV

rferguson
    Participant

Thanks for coming on again ExecPlatAA – very valid points.

I guess one’s experience in terms of the ‘soft’ product can also depend on which airline you hold elite status with. For example you are obviously a OWE via elite status with AA. So I guess maybe AA’s policy is to recognise their own elites – I can honestly say that in many F/J sectors on AA I have never had a ‘welcome’ or ‘introduction’ as a OWE by ways of BA Gold. Just to add not that i’m a fan of the ‘hi mr xxx I hope you enjoy the flight’ blah blah blah anyway. But just to offer a comparison. By the way – I LOVE AA crews generally. I know they are not to everyones taste but i’ve always had nothing but positive experience with them. I guess each of the OneWorld airlines have their own policy with ‘introductions’ to OneWorld Elites. For example I know with BA there is no policy for a greeting to non-BA OWE. Although saying that even as a BA Gold I would reckon i’ve only had the spiel 20% of the time. Cathay has been 100%. AA – never. Qantas, often but only longhaul in J. Qatar/Malaysian/Royal Jordanian never.

I guess also being crew I can look at the differences from the other side of the coin. For example I know CX still have pretty decent crew ratios and the IFSM does not form part of the service so there is no excuse really for them not to take the time to make introductions. This used to be the same at BA but for the last few years the CSD role has been written into the Club World service and as many will say ‘I can’t be in two places at one time;. I guess many other airlines have had to involve their cabin leads into the service routines.

Just on the subject of warm champagne – tell the crew! If I had a passenger mention the champagne is warm on board I would immediately put the bottle on ice and then return a chilled glass a little later on. It may no longer be wanted at this stage, but I think it’s important to apologise and at least demonstrate you’ve tried to put things right. The crew do not have that opportunity if no-one speaks up. I can’t say all my colleagues at my airline would do the same….but i’d be quietly confident that such a thing would happen at CX.

I’ve always found issues get addressed pretty swiftly at CX. The only time I have ever really had an issue is on a night flight with a seat in the mini J cabin. CX have a rather unusual policy for cabin crew rest on non-bunked aircraft. They have no Y seats blocked out for them – instead the CX policy is to allow the crew to use any unoccupied seats, including those in J. Not an idea I really agree with. Anyway on a night flight while sound asleep I could hear a lot of chatting and giggling going on behind me – two of the cabin crew taking their rest. It took only once for me to raise my head and look in their direction and they instantly fell silent. After breakfast one of the crew brought me a bottle of champagne in way of apology. Not at all expected but was a nice gesture.

Oh, and re your comment” Between BA and CX – come on, of course CX” I think you will find complete agreement on this forum! 🙂

Happy flying!

ExecPlatAA
    Participant

As always – a balanced and superb view point from rferguson! I thoroughly enjoy your comments on all topics – please keep them coming. We may all not agree on all points, but for the most part, this forum is awesome – very civilized and informative. Thanks all!

esselle
    Participant

I have just come off the two inbound sectors that brought me home. MEL-HKG on a 333 and HKG-MAN on a 773.

So four sectors in J over 10 days or so, my first longhauls with CX for some years. My impressions are very favourable indeed, the inbound echoing precisely the reflections of the outbound; clean, welcoming, attentive and efficient, with good wines and choices in the menus. I found the seat comfortable in all positions, and managed to sleep every bit as well as I do on BA F.

The IFE is a bit dull as far as choice goes, but the reproduction and sound are fine. I like the Wing lounge in HKG; the F/J lounge in MEL could do with a bit of a spruce up, but the shared lounge used by CX in MAN is the epitome of mediocrity, the only really significant negative on this trip.

I regularly used the CX service from MAN to HKG in the 90’s/00’s. and it was a pity it closed, so whilst not a regular to HKG any more, it is a bonus having it there, as via LHR/DOH etc is never as attractive as a direct, especially on the way home. I hope it gets full enough to sustain the route; outbound from MAN was chokka in J but not so busy on the way back.

dodger10
    Participant

Very rarely I get the chance to fly long haul in business class, but a recent flight to Manchester saw me upgraded from premium economy.

Overall, I found the it a very good experience. Seat wise, although a bit tight for a business, but the ample leg room was a great luxury. Service was very attentive and full marks to the cabin crew that saw me struggle with trying to get the seat down and came over to assist.

I had a very enjoyable flight and the space I had to myself was the big plus for me versus premium economy / economy.

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls