Cathay Business – disappointed

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

I totally accept the outcome was derisory, BUT,

1. CX responded within a few days

2. A voucher was offered (admittedly, it really undervalued the problem)

3. They made an effort, albeit poor..

I do not really understand why they requested the ticket number when they could easily have tied that piece of info up from their own records..

It’s just a shame, the solution was poor, otherwise this post would have had a completely different ending…

thebigseats
    Participant

Poor, very very poor response. I would write to their CEO, quite frankly.

passionateflyer
    Participant

Interesting to note the use of language in the response, which doesn’t admit they may have done anything wrong but just acknowledges that your expectations were not met, without saying implying that they failed to deliver.

ExecPlatAA
    Participant

After reading your comments, I am tempted to take this matter up further. its really not a question about the compensation etc at all – it is the lack of understanding with regards to the poor service offered, on part of CX. Could it be that the circumstances pointed out are not so extraordinary for CX, thereby suggesting that this is the new “normal” for them? I hope not. I expect more from CX – my regular carrier AA does deliver more than this when things go wrong – every single time. In this case, their fast response is no cause for celebration, in my opinion this poorly worded and acted upon email, is a result of “fast” over “proper” response from the CX team.

rferguson
    Participant

I think the response from Cathay is appropriate.

It sounds like the service standards for that flight was followed – besides the CSD introduction.

IMHO the CX seat is up there in the top league.

Catering is average.

Service is average.

They do have a bizzare system on some sectors of offering the second meal half way through the flight but again, this is the way they do things.

I thing a more generous compensation offering would be appropriate if Cathay did not deliver in some respect – your seat failed, your flight was delayed, your IFE didn’t work, you didn’t receive a meal etc etc. I think to say that one just doesn’t like the product and finds it mediocre doesn’t really justify a large amount of compensation. In honesty, i’m impressed they have $100 instead of a general ‘sorry we always strive to blah blah blah and apologise this time your expectations fell short’.

I have to say it is strange that the CSD did no introduction. One thing that I can say is consistent with CX flights I have been on is that I have ALWAYS had a greeting usually from the IFSM sometimes from the second in charge. But none the less I have always been welcomed. BA I reckon this has happened 20% of the time. AA, once.

calib99
    Participant

While I agree CX has lower service standards than some others, got to love these first world problems!

cityprofessional
    Participant

Exactly what rferguson said

I’ve flown 6 long haul sectors in last 6 months on CX. Always a CSD welcome as a OWE, fairly consistent service (never poor, sometimes underwhelming, more consistent than BA), and the seat is my personal favourite – as good as BA old F

The food is mediocre, but it’s no worse than airline standard. The Chilean promo is not on all routes (if the wine wasn’t loaded, then they shouldn’t have offered the menu insert – was that the case?). Otherwise 2 reds and 2 whites is standard on most airlines, and so what if the champagne comes from one bottle?

Second meal mid flight is signalled in the menu and only happens when departure is pre-lunchtime. Then lunch and dinner are served in departure time zone, because CX had complaints that passengers were hungry at dinner time, and did not want to wait till landing to be fed. It doesn’t suit everyone, but it is signalled in the menu, and if you want your meal later, you just ask them to keep you something

So, other than a lazy CSD (which deserves an apology, rather than a voucher IMHO), I’m not sure what else was wrong

PS I think you can tell from the seat map where the boarding door is, so I suggest you pre-book a seat in the front cabin, or board last, if you dislike other passengers passing you when they board the plane (?!). Personally I prefer the more intimate mini-cabin, but I don’t mind Y pax passing me when they board… YMMV

TheRealBabushka
    Participant

You know what, sometimes sh*t happens. Chin up and move on. It’s not the end of the world. The $100 is very very lame no doubt but it is what it is.
    Do you spend more time getting upset about this event and have all that negative energy spill over or do you observe what’s happened, acknowledge it to be poor and move on, choosing instead for your current mental and emotional state not to be tainted by this event?

eyeinthesky
    Participant

I think if you fly often you will always have a few sub-par experiences. As you will above -par.
    As a premium frequent traveler I do expect more instead of less. I can understand the “frustration” of ExecPlatAA especially because of the poor response given by customer service. But it can be worse, I recently traveled with Etihad and had a bad experience. I didn’t get any response from their customer service until I started cc-ing the CEO in
    my messages. And even then the response was poor. I just moved to Asia last September and am trying out new airlines. Etihad will not be my first choice. I just booked Qatar for a flight from Saigon to Miami.

jsn55
    Participant

Oh, a $100 voucher, isn’t this a wonderful compensation for HOURS of discomfort? Not to mention the money involved. I stand by my usual response … airline management were trained on Mars, they just keep proving me right over and over and over. And let’s not start on hotel staff!

DontTurnRight
    Participant

Cathay is in a predicament on this one, as there would and arguably should be a case for all passengers on this flight to receive the same amount of compensation, as many of the issues were generic (and in a couple of cases subjective) as opposed to specific. Their offer, is at least a gesture, albeit not hugely generous or imaginative enogh to inspire further loyalty.

The bigger question that is begged, is that when flying business or first class, you are paying for the experience as opposed to simply getting from A to B and as such, what rights to you have when it falls short of expectations and indeed, who is to determine whether this is the case.

Not sure how you resolve this, but giving the Flight Services Director the authority and call to report back on major (or indeed not so major) service failures, followed by proactive follow up by the airline to all affected passengers on that flight would win my vote, but sadly the admin and cost issues involved, would make this unattractive to most carriers, Alternatively, introduce more internal service audits, which in turn should lead to increased consistency to ensure the promised standards are adhered to.

Venetian Lady
    Participant

Flew yesterday HKG-MEL CX business. It was an evening flight leaving at midnight. Disappointed in seat felt cramped, ok for sleeping, no mattress pad as in other airlines which makes a huge difference. Crew were ok, the inflight manager was very professional. Slept most of the way therefore skipped all meals, but when I awoke just before landing she made a point of offering me something to eat or drink.
    All in all did not enjoy the CX experience, especially the seat, much prefer Qatar or Thai on their new aircrafts. I think the service level on Thai is great and if you strike a new aircraft with new business product, it is hard to beat.
    Was also dispointed with CXHong Kong lounges, again hard to beat Doha or even TG Bangkok or SQ Singapore.

rferguson
    Participant

I think there has to be a degree of perspective when comparing Cathay’s hard product with the likes of Qatar or Thai. It’s always going to be the case that X airline will come out with a newer/better product. Cathay’s product is no longer new – it’s been around for a few years now. But NO other airline can compete in offering such a product on the overwhelming majority of their long haul fleet. Yes, Qatar’s new product is great (although it is essentially the same seat design as Cathay). But how many aircraft have it? And let’s not forget you also could end up on a Qatar long haul flight in an angle lay flat bed with no direct aisle access. The same is for Thai. I would imagine once these carriers have the majority of their fleet kitted out with their newest products people will be gushing over an even better product some other airline has launched.

As for the rest – it’s down to personal preference. For example, personally I cannot stand those staggered J class configurations where your feet have to fit into an enclosed space under the seat in front of you. I find it uncomfortable and claustrophobic. For others, it’s their dream seat. But if I flew say Etihad and had such a seat I wouldn’t expect anything in terms of compensation because I find it cramped/uncomfortable or I didn’t like the way they did their meal service or the CSD didn’t introduce themselves. I would just say ‘it is not the product for me’ and chose not to fly with them in the future.

It’s the same with the lounges. I think Cathay’s HKG J class lounges are nothing short of superb and blow most of the competition out of the water. I love how all their J class lounges have a different feel/theme at HKG instead of copies of the same. I love how they all offer extensive dining options. I find them far superior to QF J class lounges in OZ/Thai/SQ/MH J class lounges. I rate their F lounge below the QF F class lounges in OZ though. As for Qatar – well how many lounges do they operate? Two? So I guess yes, it’s not difficult to offer something pretty extraordinary.

What I like most about Cathay though is the consistency. In around thirty J class long haul sectors each has been a mirror of the one before. I’ve never had anything but a fully flat bed with direct aisle access. I’ve always had a charming IFSM that despite being a OWE via BA makes me feel more valued at CX than I feel when flying BA. Yes, the younger crew can be a little ermmm…ditzy. They seem to panic a little sometimes and get in a fluster. But this is always compensated for by the calmness, grace and professionalism of the more senior ladies (they always seem to be ladies). If ever anything has not been quite right (twice I have not liked my food and both times they have proactively noticed my full plate and offered an alternative) they always apologise and try to put things right. No attitude, no dismissive mentality.

Yes, they do not have much of a ‘wow’ factor. But i’d rather know exactly what I am getting than to be ‘wowed’ 20% of the time and totally disappointed with my angle flat bed the rest of the time.

I’m not a CX apologist (in fact I work for one of it’s competitors!) and i’m sure they are not perfect. But if they flew any route I wanted to fly, they would most definitely be my #1 choice.

stevescoots
    Participant

Just flew CX from HKG to DOH, overall very happy with the product. I do prefer QR hard product on the new 787 config and the food is better on QR, that said I actually prefer CX lounges over the Hamed lounge, which feels like a hi tech barn, I preferred the old premium terminal. Having flown both airlines 10+ years more times than I can remember I prefer CX crew who have that right balance of friendliness without being too familiar, if that makes sense. I like that where as she who must be obeyed prefers very friendly and engaging crew. In 3 hours will be getting on QR11 to LHR so will be easy to compare the 2

DavidGrodentz
    Participant

RFerguson +1

Just returned in Business from DEL – HKG. Knew exactly what I was getting before boarding the flight. I would rather that then the lottery you face with other airlines.

Senior CC saw that I had woken up and, with only 50 mins before landing, still ensured that I got the full breakfast service

Last time I travelled with QR , booked a 4 leg return trip with 3 fully flat and 1 lie flat seats. Actual flights on the day were 3 lie flat and 1 fully flat

Wow factor can be great, so can consistency

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls