Cathay and masks in business class

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

• DaDove
    Participant

Hi – does anyone know if Cathay are allowing biz passengers to remove masks when seat is in flat bed position (I assume they are still forcing passengers to wear one during flights)? Thanks.

cwoodward
    Participant

Passengers need to ware a mask other than when eating or drinking.

‘Forcing’ is a rather strong of putting it. I would have put it rather differently ‘taking sensible precautions’ would be my take on the requirement.
    I have taken 4 CX flights recently and as in Hong Kong the requirement is enforced……but with some latitude if there is a glass or water bottle in evidence.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

See the link below. Masks not required in Frst and Business wehn eating drinkng or laying flat

Cathay Pacific adds mask exemption for premium passengers

1 user thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Wonder how CX cabin crew will react to an economy class passenger who has managed to bag 3 economy seats, and is horizontal / laying flat.

Will the mask “mandate” still be enforced? Or is this reserved only for premium fare paying passengers. laying flat….?

cwoodward
    Participant

On my recent flights which were inter Asia

We were few in J (economy on all flights totally full) and neither I or others used the ‘flat seat’ and I had missed the premium exemption advise.
    Thanks for the correction CL2

stevescoots
    Participant

recently flew JFK to HKG-SGN (sept)and LHR-HKG-SGN (oct) in J with lay flats. On all legs crew were clear masks must be worn at all times except when eating. no mention of not having to when sleeping and when i got up to visit the lavvy everone asleep was wearing them

mscldrew
    Participant

The dozen or so segments I’ve flown in Asia the last 6 weeks in J (not on CX but in and out of HK) on a variety of airlines Thai, Qatar, Singapore, Vietnam, JAL, Emirates they only really want to see you board and disembark wearing one.

Most western passengers are putting them on and pulling them off on the Jet bridge.

cwoodward
    Participant

Re the above
    That is not the case with Cathay or JAL
    Mask wearing is policed.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

My last flight with Emirates 3 months ago, from Milan to Cape Town, no masks were needed anywhere, not even in Dubai.
    Likewise Mrs. LP flying ZRH – JNB no mask required.
    However, my son flying MXP-FRA-CPT with LH, was not allowed to check in without showing he had a mask. He then had to wear it on boarding but took it off for the flight.
    I believe LH has though now removed the need to wear a mask on their flights.
    All internal flights in SA are now mask free, though some individuals do choose to continue to wear them.

esselle
    Participant

[postquote quote=1241353]

Mask wearing is actually mandated on the CX website in an “update” posted on 31 October.

stevescoots
    Participant

I flew SGN-HKG-LHR yesterday on CX, first leg in J, second in F cabin as free upgrade. Masks were mandatory according to crew however i did not wear mine when sleeping and nobody said anything. I noticed that a couple in F did not wear at all after take off. Crew did not say anything

highsmile
    Participant

Cathay enforces the mask requirement but to be honest, in my past 3-4 flights, they are getting less strict for usage during sleep. However, they will inform you to wear it when boarding and arriving. Just out of courtesy, I still put it on when hitting the restroom during the flight. Not that big of a deal if I’m honest.

H

TonyR
    Participant

[postquote quote=1241353]

Just back from Japan on ANA and in J mask wearing once boarded was pretty relaxed but then you do have your personal cubicle. In the airport and the rest of Japan maks wearing is pretty much 100% everywhere. Exceptions were when eating/drinking and when in wide open spaces. Asia though, unlike the West, has had a long tradition of mask wearing when you have a cold so its much more accepted with high compliance.

Chris in Makati
    Participant

I’m on board CX253 now, about 5 hours still to run until LHR. I’ve been sitting in Premium Economy not wearing a mask since they served the first meal after leaving Hong Kong and nobody has said anything to me yet. Cabin lights have been off for most of the journey, so hopefully I’m not too obvious.

Polly
    Participant

Hi SteveCoots

How was your transit experience now. Know you are on one PNR it looks like. Luckily CX to QR both in J should keep us airside. Presume it flows smoothly, now they allow 2 different PNRs? Ours is in a few days CX from kul onto qr to lhr. We hope. Qr notorious for changing times, and aircraft. But, here’s hoping we make it to the U.K. Now, relying on CX goodwill for through check of bags, but being J should help.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls