Business Class to Delhi – Qatar vs Swiss

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 75 total)

• BeckyBoop
    Participant

Julmops,

Swiss or Qatar? I would take Qatar.

Do you have a budget?

Alternatively have you thought about taking Air India? An airline that I have always wanted to try. I did a random mid week trip in the first week of September for £1,500.

Vintage Krug is predicting a premium class sale soon for BA flights so if you fancy a flight purely based on convenience it may be worth waiting a little longer. Also don’t forget if you have any flyer status you could possibly get a free upgrade to First if they have over booked.

On a separate note do you ever use the RailAir Coach link from Reading Station to LHR? I might have to use that service soon.

julmops
    Participant

Hi BeckBoop,
    In the current social climate at Air India, I wouldn’t even consider it but under other circumstances, I would definitely give them a go.
    I’m planning to book those flights in the next 2 weeks (hopefully before) so might get lucky with a BA sale indeed. In terms of upgrade to First, it would have to be on a 747 as they use 3-class 777 on most flights and I’m only Blue … Actually if I fly BA in J this time, I would become Bronze..
    Regarding the RailAir, I use every time I’m flying from Heathrow. This is very convenient, especially as it starts very early in the morning, very handy when you have an early flight. If you need any more info about it, please let me know.

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

Hi Julmops

The BA143/142 are currently scheduled to be operated by the 747-400 so have First. The 257/256 are the 777 and only 3 class on this route.

Hope that helps in your decision making / list of preferences with airlines!

sparkyflier
    Participant

Another option to make your dilemma more difficult could be . . . . .Finnair. Flight times are reasonable, a VERY easy transfer airport, and you will get avios and tier points as they are oneworld, so you will still get to Bronze!

julmops
    Participant

Tim, checking on different dates between 27th and 29th October, BA143/142 aren’t on 747 all days.
    Sparkyflyer, you really know how to attract my curiosity … I will have a look, purely out of interest.
    At the moment, I’ve looked at Jet and I have to say it’s a serious contender as it’s direct and at 1581£ on the dates I want to fly, can’t make any better than that. Only downside I can see, it’s leaving from T4, which I really don’t like … But that’s a bit of a detail …

sparkyflier
    Participant

I am sure the food and service on Jet will be of a very high standard, but bear in mind they have herringbone seating, with seats facing away from the window, which for me is not attractive, but may be fine with you if you do not mind that. It is similar to the VS seat, but I believe they (jet) provide a bit more width. Other posters may be able too give more guidance on that.

Bruce98
    Participant

sparkyflyer’s summary is spot on.

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

Hi Julmops – I only checked 28th to 31st – Apologies – can see it on the 257 on the 27th.

Likewise on the return it is 28th Nov through to 3rd Dec (haven’t checked further either way).

I know from clients of mine who have been on this route it can be planed changed on quite a regular basis – so it could change before you fly anyway.

Pierre
    Participant

Jet Airways for sure!
    Excellent service, recent planes, good ITE, comfortable seat, flat for sleeping..and good price..

tallboy
    Participant

Please do not even consider Air India. Most self respecting Indians would not touch them with a barge pole. Jet are of course a very different story and I certainly recommend them as a quality operator.

To your original Q, i would take Swiss. I flew that same route with them earlier this year and they were fine. Professional and attentive service, and a good seat for sleeping, although you will be very lucky to get one of the preferred A solo seats If not one of their high status customers.

For such a short trip I would also be looking at arrival and departure times pretty closely as arriving at a decent time when likely to sleep would be important to me.

Personally, I would take either Jet or Swiss over BA, even if they were more expensive…

julmops
    Participant

As I need to go through a specific TA (company policy), I’ve been quoted ridiculous prices on BA and Jet …
    Looks more and more like it will be Swiss in the end but I will keep you posted ! 😉
    Many many thanks to everyone for your input, it’s much appreciated !

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Tallboy… some of our members would actually disagree with you.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/discussion/topic/Air-India-Business-really-quite-good

tallboy
    Participant

BeckyBoop, I work in aviation safety, and have met with the AI safety department, so while their new hard product may look good, and many staff may be making big efforts to improve, it is what is underneath the hood that interests me most…

julmops
    Participant

Hi simonHB, I’m not particularly interested in AF/KL to be honest but thanks for the idea ! 😉

skywards
    Participant

Why don’t you have a look on Youtube? Someone will have posted a full trip report of one of them airlines…seat, food and fine wines….What about KLM?…you can take a step back in time to the 80s..i’m sure they use a MD-11 on that route via AMS?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 75 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls