Brussels to Calgary – any suggestions ?

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

Good suggestion, InterContinentalFlyer. However, during October there is no good connection on the way out and, as we are entering the bad weather season (early morning fog etc) I feel that the train is a more reliable way of reaching the AMS hub.

In any case, KL’s BRU-AMS service must be on borrowed time. Once the rail companies sort out the rail-air high-speed Fyra trains (technical problems with the new trains have delayed their introduction) between Brussels and Schiphol (which will offer a much more frequent service tailored to air passengers) then I am sure the air link will be disbanded.

Charles-P
    Participant

Having previously not considered the train link (old age ?) I must put in a word for the excellent Northern European High Speed rail network. The Thalys train service through Brussels, Antwerp, Rotterdam and even down to Cologne is simply superb and when one links it in with the Eurostar service through to London we have the jewel in the crown. I reccomend it to anybody. Three weeks ago I used the London to Brussels service on Eurostar. The taxi was stuck in traffic but despite turning up less than 25 minutes before departure I was able to clear security, passport checks and the rest and be in my seat 10 minutes before leaving – superb.

LeTigre
    Participant

It seems unlikely that Thalys will ever join up with London as both it and Eurostar are majority owned by SNCF. Competing with itself is not desirable. Train restrictions also rule Thalys out (if they don’t order new ones). But rest assured- during 2013/2014 both Eurostar and DB will open new route to Amsterdam and Germany via Brussels, as well as the more exciting ones of Geneva, Lyon, Munich, etc. Even Trenitalia will have compatible trains soon (and have drawn-up plans) so a single train to Milan/Rome/Venice might be on the horizon, though for this only an overnight service would be preferable.

Charles, my suggestion would be to consult a decent travel agent who will outline all these options to you with the pros and cons.
    Depending on the date of travel, Air Canada via Frankfurt (BRU FRA is operated by LH, but AC codeshare) is the quickest travel time at 12 h 50 mins outbound and 12:20h inbound including all stopovers.

HonestCrew
    Participant

In case it affects your decision Charles, BA use 767 to fly to Calgary.
    This means it is BA’s old Club class seats. Comfortable enough some would say, on demand IFE, less pax and the same catering, just the seats look a little tired.

If travelling Economy then it is good as the seats have more space and the cabin feels less crowded.

HonestCrew
    Participant

This means it is BA’s old Club class seats. Comfortable enough some would say, on demand IFE, less pax and the same catering, just the seats look a little tired.

If travelling Economy then it is good as the seats have more space and the cabin feels less crowded.

HonestCrew
    Participant

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Charles

You did not mention when you were travelling to Calgary … but if you do consider travelling LH via FRA note that, according to its website, LH will discontinue its service ex-FRA with effect from February 5, 2012.

There will still be a non-stop flight from Frankfurt to Calgary but it will now be operated by an AC B767 code-shared with LH.

Just thought you’d like to know …

Bucksnet
    Participant

Air Canada also fly from from Calgary to Heathrow, if you don’t want to connect in FRA or fly BA. There’s also KL from AMS.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls