British Airways Reveals Seat Pics and Cabin Layout of A318 London City-New York Service

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 84 total)

• VintageKrug
    Participant

VintageKrug
    Participant

Seems many of the comments set out here and in BT magazine have been taken on board, particularly the idea of ordering food pre-take off.

VintageKrug
    Participant

The Marriott East India Quay is now fully online providing Lounge facilities and showers for those coming off this service.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Video article on the service now live on FT.com:

http://www.ft.com/londonjfk

VintageKrug
    Participant

Interesting report from Bloomberg stating that the service is exceeding estimated load factors, and is on track to be profitable within the year:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601102&sid=api_9.myayRo

Anecdotally, many services are sold out, proving there is considerable demand on this route.

And quite an upbeat assessment of the NYLON route, which seems rather over zealous for broader traffic, but worth quoting:

“Demand for premium flights between New York and London is particularly strong as optimism about the global economy spurs an increase in travel among finance professionals, Stinnes said. Banks and other institutions accounted for 13 of BA’s top 50 clients last year.”

I would say demand has increased, but there have also been significant capacity cuts which means a modest upturn in demand has a greater impact on availability than would have been the case previously.

BA’s share price up 11% over the year so far.

rony1434
    Participant

Hi.
    Thanks for sharing.

carlton
    Participant

This is the best thread I have read on here for…ages. Took me a while though! Thanks Mark and Yankee, you rock, and BA, keep it up, not a big fan but I reckon I can be converted if the old dust vanish and pave way for a new generation BA’ers.

Petericia
    Participant

So what was the conclusion of your poll on BA strike.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Glad you enjoyed the thread, carlton.

WW reported in January that the load factor on this service is at 75% which is impressive just three months in.

Petericia
    Participant

Good news for the air flight travelers.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Looks like this service may be interrupted tomorrow (Tuesday) as the ash cloud is re-emerging from the north and is likely to close Shannon for some time.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Interesting recent blog about the service here:

http://mccallumsolutions.com/being-just-ahead-of-the-pack/

VintageKrug
    Participant

The positive reports on this service continue, and WW reveals plans to expand the destinations offered:

BA is ready to expand its network in North America, ceo Willie Walsh said today (June 17).

He said it was “only a matter of time” before the UK national carrier flew to two or three more North American cities.

Walsh said he was also being “pushed” by corporate customers to fly more services from London City Airport.

This would be either more capacity on the existing twice daily service to New York or new routes to cities like Boston, Chicago and Washington.

In a key note speech at the Business Travel Market in London, Walsh said the feedback on the all business class service to New York, which began late last year, had been “fantastic”.

“I am surprised at how quickly it has established itself among corporate customers. But the challenge at London City is the length of the runway.

“Realistically it is only possible to fly to the east coast of the USA – Boston, Chicago, Washington. But we are being pushed to fly to more destinations.

“If the good response continues, we will definitely be adding additional services, either more capacity to New York or services to new cities.”

VintageKrug
    Participant

Martin Lewis, aka moneysavingexpert, blogs about his recent experience flying this service:

http://blog.moneysavingexpert.com/2010/07/05/nyc-biz-class-500-for-2-and-you-can-use-your-mobile/

Though he does seem a little ill-informed about what the USP of the service itself is…

continentalclub
    Participant

I have a feeling that Mr Lewis knows rather more about the service than he thinks is appropriate to let on to the majority of his readership.

He knows his GMTV audience well, like all good marketers, and it serves his purpose to report on things as if he were ‘one of them’.

Even if he’d paid for the flight and hotel, it wouldn’t really affect the message of his article; namely that his readers can employ the methods he explains to achieve the results that he describes.

I rather like him.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 84 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls