British Airways Menu Offering Dumb Down

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)

• AndrewinHK
    Participant

FDOS I assume we are from different generations. I gave my perspective, on the original poster comments regarding a cocktail which I would argue is a cocktail of yesteryear. I suspect airlines have a declining interest in indulging what is becoming a smaller and smaller demographic of their business, they adapt and serve what is popular/cost-effective/trendy, times change, roll with it, and as you say fly with someone else, but doing so over a lack of creme de cassis and taking to a forum to gripe about it, using language like exacerbated is somewhat hysterical.

cybertravller
    Participant

I respectfully agree with FDOS; as a former BA crew, the Kir Royale set us apart from other airlines. I do not believe it to be a thing of yesteryear, and like the Singapore Sling of SQ (which I thoroughly enjoyed), it makes the brand unique.

I recall we never used to run out of creme de cassis; we almost had too much on board since it had to cater for both First and Business on some routes. The loss of this is penny wise and Pound foolish.

1 user thanked author for this post.

AndrewinHK
    Participant

cybertravller, I googled creme de cassis, and it’s about 12 pounds per bottle retail, is it a cost-saving idea not to load it, surely other drinks whiskey etc are much more expensive, or just a calculation of demand/wastage etc from the data the airline has about the demand for such a drink on its network? I assume if large numbers were requesting the drink, it would be provided, and as I noted, I was unaware of the drink’s links with the BA brand, is it still a brand identifier, when you now have genuinely British options like English Sparkling wine onboard and British craft beer?

cybertravller
    Participant

AndrewinHK, we had miniatures, and I never knew BA to ever pay retail for any alcohol, especially with the quantities they purchased. There was English sparkling wine in First Class for a while, and I am unsure if that became a permanent fixture.

I am also unsure if UK vineyards can produce sufficient quantity for the British Airways network. I am all in favour of English sparkling wine as I have been pleasantly surprised by it. Another thing to remember is that when BA managers attempt to do calculations, they usually get it wrong, and we go through the rounds of apologising to loyal clients for declining service offerings.

Considering the premium BA charge for point-to-point travel, I really don’t see the justification for this penny pinching.

2 users thanked author for this post.

20-Horse
    Participant

FWIW, try, at home, a Kir Royale with 50-50 Creme de Cassis and Champagne, whilst it is very sweet, it is like proper grown up Ribena and wonderful. Whatever you do, put the Creme de Cassis in the glass first and add the Champagne to it, not the other way around.

I shall lament its passing if it is not available on my 4th try next month. I shall have to slake my thirst at home rather than in the air.

I recall a friend who worked for the airline (BA) telling me once, that crew used to pour ancient Cognac down the waste towards the end of the flight as they could not land with open bottles as it would contravene regs, he used to lament the loss of this ancient and wonderful nectar. Not sure if the practice still happens, but I don’t put Otard XO in that class anyway.

FDOS
    Participant

A drink of yesteryear?

This recent BA CW menu suggests not….

https://www.britishairways.com/cms/global/pdfs/Travel_classes/Menu-Outbound-LHR-JFK.pdf

3 users thanked author for this post.

cybertravller
    Participant

“I recall a friend who worked for the airline (BA) telling me once, that crew used to pour ancient Cognac down the waste towards the end of the flight as they could not land with open bottles as it would contravene regs, he used to lament the loss of this ancient and wonderful nectar. Not sure if the practice still happens, but I don’t put Otard XO in that class anyway.”

The only time we consistently had to do that was when the crew landed in London with open Champagne bottles. The liquors in First were always in full-sized bottles, which we would keep upright, with the cork/top on and locked before landing.

I recall the first time I took my wife (then girlfriend) on a trip to Barbados in Club. It was her first time flying long-haul and business class, and I served her Kir Royale. Maybe there is an element of sentimentality in there somewhere.

20-Horse
    Participant

“I recall the first time I took my wife (then girlfriend) on a trip to Barbados in Club. It was her first time flying long-haul and business class, and I served her Kir Royale. Maybe there is an element of sentimentality in there somewhere”

Is life not about memories and items that prompt a memory in a major part? Excellent example, I love a bit of sentimentality and I am sure you both have a recollection of a time well spent in this example.

When I took my Wife on a significant Birthday holiday, I asked the crew to sign a menu for her to keep as part of her memories, having nipped over to Vancouver in F. They very kindly did the business and also presented her with a bottle of F Champagne to enjoy on her trip after landing – which was lovely. That was a few years ago, and I recall enjoying Kir Royales in my particular mix for a significant part of the journey. Then again we were on a 747 as well, which was heaven.

Best wishes.

20-Horse

cybertravller
    Participant

That is fantastic 20-Horse, I really used to love doing that as part of the job.

Best Wishes

esselle
    Participant

Crikey your 50-50 must be super sweet! Classic Kir Royale would be nearer 10% cassis, although I consider it to be a waster of champagne!

cwoodward
    Participant

Crème de cassis is cheap in supermarkets in UK and there can be no excuse for BA not carrying it particularly as the Kir Royale was for many years their signature cocktail, still expected and enjoyed by many (but not on BA).

Yet another example of BAs lack of skilled management and just dam stupid as typically the cost of a bottle in major supermarkets is from P4.95 (perhaps 3 -4 quid at wholesale) at Sainsburys the current cost is P8.00 and P10.00 at M&S

The drink also works well with a v cold decent white burgundy or if you must a cheap fizzy white stuff…..

According to my old ‘Oxford companion to Spirits and Cocktails’ the best mix is 8 to 10%. and 12% with white wine.

AndrewinHK AS much as I enjoy your balanced and knowledgeable posts perhaps stay away from advising re mixed drinks !

esselle
    Participant

Agreed. Cassis and white burgundy is simply “Kir”.

cybertravller
    Participant

“Oxford companion to Spirits and Cocktails” is going on my Amazon list!

cwoodward
    Participant

At 826 pages its a good read – and updated every few years !

DannyBoy
    Participant

cwoodward – thanks for the tip, that will make a great gift for someone I know.

A few websites that I recommend;

https://www.diffordsguide.com/

https://www.liquor.com/

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls