British Airways – Florence/Pisa shambles

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

• FDOS
    Participant

cwoodward

I have friends at BA, their A320N are the only aircraft based at LHR that meet Perf A reqs for FLR (I think your Pisa reference is a typo).

The A319s have IAE engines, which do not have the right thrust profiles for FLR, as opposed to the CFM engines on other airlines, which do.

It’s as simple as that.

The Citiflyer E190s are okay, but not based at LHR.

cwoodward
    Participant

FDOS I have no friends at BA

However several others fly seemingly very satisfactorily the A319 to Florence and BA has 30 of them
    Why not the A319 – they look to have plenty as 5 are still in storag ?e

FDOS
    Participant

I’ve already stated why, i my previous post.

The engine/airframe performance is different for different A319s, BA’s don’t have the performance for FLR.

I know you used to be/are a private pilot. Think PA28-150 v -181 v -236. Same airframe, different capability.

cwoodward
    Participant

I realise that which you have stated FDOS but are you correct ?

I ask as BA’s technical web site states very clearly that their “Airbus A319-100 Range = 6,700km (4,100 miles)”
    https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/about-ba/fleet-facts/airbus-319-100 (This is also the range given by the Airbus
    website.)

The same BA web site also clearly indicates that BA’s 30 – A319s all use the same “2× IAE V2500 engines” (I suspect the ‘V2500 Select Two’ variant)

Given that the shortest distance (air line) between London and Florence is 750.85 mi (1,208.38 km) – but let’s say its 1500 km.

This aircraft would look to be the almost perfect choice other than it only seats around 140 pax.

Normally you post very correct information – what am I missing here ?

FDOS
    Participant

cwoodward

Performance A.

Out.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls