British Airways crawling to the toilet

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)

• Charles-P
    Participant

I have become more and more irritated with not just airlines but other organisations labeling their customers as “disruptive” and the like when they complain. I was told of an instance on a UK train where a complaint was made about a broken seat to the guard and they received a reply later that day saying the guard had reported them for being rude.

In regard to your particular experience I have known of other instances where disabled passengers are viewed as an inconvenience by transport operators who it seems to me would rather simply not have them if they could get away with it.

1 user thanked author for this post.

macman147
    Participant

[quote quote=883500]I have become more and more irritated with not just airlines but other organisations labeling their customers as “disruptive” and the like when they complain. I was told of an instance on a UK train where a complaint was made about a broken seat to the guard and they received a reply later that day saying the guard had reported them for being rude.

In regard to your particular experience I have known of other instances where disabled passengers are viewed as an inconvenience by transport operators who it seems to me would rather simply not have them if they could get away with it.[/quote]

Yes I agree. Particularly BA seem to be determined to put disabled passengers off traveling. Also they seem to believe the crews version of events 100%.

Charles-P
    Participant

[quote quote=883505]Particularly BA seem to be determined to put disabled passengers off traveling.[/quote]

Depending on the route may I suggest Brussels Airlines, for my mother who like you is a wheelchair user they have been superb in the way she has been treated on her flights between the UK and Brussels. She also used them to fly from Brussels to New York and commented on the comfort of their new Business Class seats and the fact one of the crew spoke Afrikaans which made her feel at home.

capetonianm
    Participant

I have become more and more irritated with not just airlines but other organisations labeling their customers as “disruptive” and the like when they complain.

I challenged a ticket inspector on a SW Trains service over the bullying way he spoke to a very old lady who had, clearly accidentally, got into a first class compartment on a train out of Waterloo. From the way he spoke to her you’d have thought it was the crime of the century.
    I suggested that instead of bullying and making her scared and anxious, which she clearly was, he should offer to help her to second class (which I did). He then accused me of ‘being abusive’ towards him. It seems that challenging these jobsworths is now seen as ‘abusive’ behaviour.
    Unfortunately I didn’t think in time of offering to pay the fare difference for her, and then being as slow and uncooperative in paying as possible!

Charles-P
    Participant

[quote quote=883539]He then accused me of ‘being abusive’ towards him.[/quote]

This is now a default response for so many when dealing with customer complaints and is in my view designed to put the complainant on the ‘back foot’ and is kept to be used in the future if the complaint is escalated.

Ah,Mr.Bond
    Participant

If this is all as you say then take this to the press, tv, media whatever . BA will be ripped to shreds and crew involved probably suspended.

macman147
    Participant

[quote quote=883566]If this is all as you say then take this to the press, tv, media whatever . BA will be ripped to shreds and crew involved probably suspended.[/quote]

The problem is it is my word against theirs. They are bound to back each other up.

Charles-P
    Participant

[quote quote=883539]From the way he spoke to her you’d have thought it was the crime of the century.[/quote]

This seems to be an issue that UK rail inspectors get very excited about. In Belgium the staff politely point out the mistake to passengers, ask if they want to pay the difference or if not point them in the right direction. In the UK for some reason this mistake is viewed as the most heinous of crimes and I have witnessed people spoken to in a very aggressive manner with talk of fines and the police being called as well of course as the now obligatory speech about,
    “We have a zero tolerance policy on abuse”

DGGW
    Participant

None of our crew that were working in the Club World cabin recall a complaint regarding a wait of 30 minutes after pressing the bell. British Airways ensure a high presence in the cabins, particularly within the premium cabins.

That’s very similar to the response I got from BA after choking on something in their WTP main meal just over three years ago flying from JFK-LHR. What they actually said to me was that cabin crew were required to log these incidents but as they hadn’t, it hadn’t happened. I’d actually been assisted by two of the cabin crew and moved to a crew jump seat to recover! They also claimed the cabins were regularly checked by the flight attendants but we didn’t see anybody between the meal service and the nasty little breakfast box five hours later. They also weren’t answering the call buttons (assuming they worked – it was a rather tired B747) so if you needed anything it required a trip back to the galley.

Last time I flew BA long-haul was October 2015 (I do all my transatlantic travel on Virgin/Delta now). I was in an exit row and because the flight was short-crewed we were briefed on the exit procedures. No problem there except that the person briefing us left out the ‘check for hazards’ before opening door and exactly the same thing happened on the return flight. That was enough – I’ve not flown with them since!

rferguson
    Participant

Macman is this the only flight you’ve had an issue with BA? Do you travel with BA regularly?

rferguson
    Participant

[quote quote=883582]

None of our crew that were working in the Club World cabin recall a complaint regarding a wait of 30 minutes after pressing the bell. British Airways ensure a high presence in the cabins, particularly within the premium cabins.

That’s very similar to the response I got from BA after choking on something in their WTP main meal just over three years ago flying from JFK-LHR. What they actually said to me was that cabin crew were required to log these incidents but as they hadn’t, it hadn’t happened. I’d actually been assisted by two of the cabin crew and moved to a crew jump seat to recover! They also claimed the cabins were regularly checked by the flight attendants but we didn’t see anybody between the meal service and the nasty little breakfast box five hours later. They also weren’t answering the call buttons (assuming they worked – it was a rather tired B747) so if you needed anything it required a trip back to the galley.

Last time I flew BA long-haul was October 2015 (I do all my transatlantic travel on Virgin/Delta now). I was in an exit row and because the flight was short-crewed we were briefed on the exit procedures. No problem there except that the person briefing us left out the ‘check for hazards’ before opening door and exactly the same thing happened on the return flight. That was enough – I’ve not flown with them since![/quote]

DGGW you are correct. Any ‘incident’ should be logged.

One of the Standard Operating Procedures on every flight is for cabin crew to check the cabin and toilets every 30 minutes throughout the flight. This is for safety and security.

macman147
    Participant

[quote quote=883607]Macman is this the only flight you’ve had an issue with BA? Do you travel with BA regularly?[/quote]

Yes I’ve been a regular with BA for years. I’ve had many issues with them over disability assistance. But this particular problem I’ve only had once before. When I complained about it in the past I wasn’t labelled as disruptive that added insult to injury.

rferguson
    Participant

I am absolutely gobsmacked. The bit I do not understand is how you ended up being deemed as ‘disruptive’.

If this is purely a case of a disabled customer ringing his/her call bell in the middle of the night for assistance and it went unanswered for 30 minutes any crew member I know (myself included) would be absolutely mortified and on the floor grovelling.

Was there any incident earlier on in the flight that had already caused tension? I just cannot understand how this situation escalated so much so quickly.

macman147
    Participant

[quote quote=883612]I am absolutely gobsmacked. The bit I do not understand is how you ended up being deemed as ‘disruptive’.

If this is purely a case of a disabled customer ringing his/her call bell in the middle of the night for assistance and it went unanswered for 30 minutes any crew member I know (myself included) would be absolutely mortified and on the floor grovelling.

Was there any incident earlier on in the flight that had already caused tension? I just cannot understand how this situation escalated so much so quickly.[/quote]

On boarding the CSD took offence when I declined his offer of assistance. He seemed to take it personally.

But I still don’t think it excuses my call bell not being answered. I think the CSD was under pressure to get the aircraft away on time. When I was getting in my seat I don’t think I was quick enough for his liking.

But I still don’t think it explains what happened.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=883612]I am absolutely gobsmacked. The bit I do not understand is how you ended up being deemed as ‘disruptive’.[/quote]

I am totally gobsmacked………… surely there is some medium that will take your story up….

May be I could understand a cabin crew member who is having an off day…. but a CSD and a Captain…. & then for the airline to deny it ever happened…. please excuse the comment, but their has to be more to this story…. if not…. simply appalling….

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls