British Airways crawling to the toilet

Back to Forum
Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)

• GivingupBA
    Participant

[quote quote=883494]That’s shocking that no one at least offered some assistance.[/quote]

Yes, it is a bit too much. At Reading I had to chuck my bag off the bus and crawl down the steps to the pavement.

The effect on me was to make me more determined to be helpful to the max to anyone struggling anywhere any time. I have often helped when no-one else is helping. I don’t want to sound like a white knight but what happened to me changed me a bit.

Annieweb
    Participant

I am so sorry this happened to you – but I have had problems with BA as a wheelchair user too and they will not give us any compensation. I travelled first class two years ago and none of the crew knew how the armrest lowered to make transfer easier from the aisle chair. We had to make the seat into a bed each time I wanted to use the bathroom. They watched me struggle in the first class bathroom and were unaware of an accessible bathroom further up the aisle -it was two bathrooms that can be made into one large one to accommodate the aisle chair. Then the lower bridge broke when we reached the gate and instead of waiting for help, the captain and his first officer carried me in my wheelchair up the narrow steps to the upper level of the aircraft. I thought they would drop me. I complained afterwards, but they refused to compensate me, yet another passenger complained about her seat and got given £100 duty free credit just like that. I reported them to the DOT in Washington under the Air Carrier Access Act and my complaint was upheld and they got a warning. You should do this too. Just travelled with American Airlines business class and they lost the aisle chair and said they had searched the whole aircraft – my husband had to carry me to the bathroom and then they found it! They argued about me keeping my chair in priority storage in the cabin too. They had no idea of their responsibilities under ACAA. Was promised a better return journey and again no aisle chair -this time I asked before take off and the flight was delayed over an hour while they tried to get one -it’s a legal requirement to have this on the twin aisled aircrafts. There are far too many stories about how dreadful we are treated as disabled passengers and this behaviour has got to stop. We are not second class citizens and do deserve compensation each time things go wrong.

1 user thanked author for this post.

stevescoots
    Participant

I occasionally like to make myself angry…strange I know! I will sit in restaurants trying to get service, part from putting my hand up when I see staff looking over I do no more, I dont believe I should do anymore. So, I will sit for at times 30 minutes and then just get up and walk out and then see how fast they come after me for the bill if I have managed to order and get something.
    How this relates is I do the same on aircraft, I am the quiet unassuming passenger. I often get up to take my empty glassware to the galley, clear my own table neatly, I rarely press the call bell. But for some reason on BA, and I tend to do this only on BA I go into restaurant mode. Press bell wait…wait, press bell again 5 mins later…wash rinse repeat. Often crew are walking past, and my light is on and they glide past. I get to the 30 mins stage and then get up and ask strait for the CSD and lodge a complaint. Very politely, I listen to the excuse, nod my head, then get in my seat silently fuming. I would take a guess that this happens on over 50% of my LH flights over the years during lights out when almost everyone else is sleeping. Long waits for no discernible reason are the norm on BA in club

Carlton-Browne
    Participant

I’d consider contacting Frank Gardner and see if it’s a story that he would be interesting in running with. It would seem that BA is consistent with the general air of neglect that he encounters at Heathrow.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43526222

http://www.frankgardner.co.uk/

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls