BMI (or should that be bmi?) Operating for Lufthansa

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

• Anonymous

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Hi,

Just spent the weekend in Germany with my lad. We flew BHX-FRA-BHX in Economy. I was initially a little put out when I discovered that bmi now operate the FRA service from BHX on behalf of LH.

However, we were seated in 5A and C on the way out, the first row of Economy, with the middle seat blocked, as being SK Gold, I am the equivalent of an LH Senator. The flight was fine for an hour or so’s hop, using (I think) an A319.

On the way back, we were upgraded to Business, which was totally unexpected. The plane was a mid-haul A320 with the tilting business class seats (are they called “cradle seats”?). The flight was pretty good with a jolly Scouse CSD and what looked like good food (I’d picked up a dose of food poisoning on Sunday night so I was limited to lots of water only).

Both planes were spotless (which would please Mr Sepsas!) and the cabin crews were friendly and efficient. Both flights also arrived early.

I have said on here before that I consider FRA to be proof that Germans have a sense of humour. Outbound, we had an hour between landing and the ICE departure to Cologne, and I was worried that this might be a bit tight. However, from landing to standing on the platform (including the statutory bus transfer from the aircraft) took just under 25 minutes.

I understand that bmi may also operate the LH services between BHX and MUC and DUS. Whilst I still prefer “proper” LH, on the basis of this weekend’s performance, bmi will be superior to LH’s regional products, especially the ageing Avros and grumpy crew of CityLine.

To go off topic a touch. We stayed on Sunday at the Hilton Bonn. I have probably sung this hotel’s praises on here before. They were as good as ever. When I picked up the aforesaid food poisoning (probably from a bratwurst at the local funfair), they could not do enough for me. It’s not the most luxurious Hilton by any means (a former Crowne Plaza), although it is much more than adequate. However, the staff are the friendliest, pretty much to every man and woman there, that I have come across in any hotel. I thoroughly recommend it.

Regards, Simon

PS I remember a debate on here a year or so ago, about whether the “i” in bmi did actually stand for “International.” On both flights, the CSD welcomed us “On behalf of bmi, British Midland International.” It’s been a while since I used the Viscount service between “Elmdon” and LHR…..and when they were based at “Castle Donnington.” I’m showing my age now.

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

3 weeks ago, I flew from LHR to Milan on what I thought would be a BMI flight. Booked the flight on the BMI website & it was shown as a BMI operated flight. When I lost the Email confirmation, I tried to locate the booking on the BMI site – no joy so I looked at the Lufthansa site and there it was – BMI operated by Lufthansa??

The confirmation came through from Lufthansa stating ” we hope you enjoy this flight operated by BMI”

At LHR I boarded a BMI A320 in the customary Blue livery of BMI but with the Lufthansa logo prominent on every seat…….

The crew were BMI, the flight magazine BMI, the aircraft BMI but it was a Lufthansa flight??

So, confused – BMI sold it as a BMI flight but later said it was to be operated by Lufthansa at the same time Lufthansa sold it as a Lufthansa flight operated by BMI.

robsmith100
    Participant

BMI is actually wholly owned by Lufthansa. I am very surprised the in the two years LH have not rebranded the airline or intergrated within its business than let it run as a seprate company.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMI_(airline)

GlobalTravellerTom
    Participant

@ Seasonedtraveller.

I use this route 4 times a month at present. I have raised this with both airlines and they both provide exact same response. It is a code share flight sir.

What I should point out is if you have signed up for any flight promotions with either airline (ie make X amount of flights for whatever bonus) these “codeshare” flights do not count with either airline.

In, short you qualify for your normal allowance of airmiles and thats your lot.

That said this route, on a red eye, is still one of the best in Europe for views.

Back on topic, I think LH have only kept the bmi brand going through fear of losing UK customers to BA. I am sure there is a strategy for moving over in the near future. A similar topic was on here last year with most suggesting bmi would merge with LH before end of 2010.

stevescoots
    Participant

Brand changing always is interesting, in LAX I saw about 15 united and conti birds. some all united, some all conti and some in teh new united continental livery

cityprofessional
    Participant

@seasonedtraveller and @globaltravellertom, it’s not that complicated, honest

In the case of seasonedtraveller, your ticket contract is with bmi. bmi does not fly this route, but instead books space on an LH flight. So your booking is held in the LH reservation system, and you should receive LH standard of inflight service (and, usually, an LH inflight magazine). This is clearly advertised when you buy the ticket (i.e. that you are on a codeshare, and that you are getting LH standard service)

However, LH has taken the commercial decision not to physically operate these flights with its own aircraft and crew. Instead it leased a different airline’s plane and crew to operate the flight on its behalf (with LH catering, including LH headrests). It just so happens that they have subcontracted bmi to do it

Simples

@globaltravellertom. If you buy a bmi ticket to MXP, it is indeed a codeshare flight, because bmi doesn’t fly there, and you should receive no mileage promotional benefit in diamond club. However, LHR-MXP is a normal LH Italia flight (that happens to be operated with leased bmi aircraft) – i.e. you should get full M&M benefit and recognition, just as if you were flying FRA-MXP. If you booked with LH, it is not in any way shape or form a codeshare (actually, it’s a wet-lease), and if they told you that, they are lying

Yes, it does totally confuse the LH/bmi brands, but, let’s face it, neither brand is particularly strong in the UK or Italy, so, as long as the plane gets you there, most customers don’t care (and clearly neither does LH)

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Alas not so simples, cityprofessional.

The LH flights I took last weekend were operated by bmi metal, with bmi crew, bmi seat covers, bmi magazines and bmi catering.

Confused.com?

Simon

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

Simon
    same as me really but i did notice the Lufthansa logo had been embossed onto every seat row, something i found odd.

JohnnyEnglish
    Participant

Interesting bit you mentioned about Senators (or equivalent) having the middle seat blocked off. Forgive my slight digression but I couldn’t find this in any of the literature, but maybe I have been doing myself a dis-service by moving my online booking seat because the seat next to my pre-allocated slot is always taken. Anyone else have this experience?

trident3
    Participant

BMI checkin staff at GLA told me once that my *Gold card meant next seat was blocked, loads permitting, of course.

flyingdutchman
    Participant

Fly from Heathrow to Milan next Tuesday on Lufthansa, via Lufthansa Italia and the flight is done by …….. BMI.
    (as is the LHR-Cologne service)

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Johnny,

As trident suggests, I don’t think it’s a guaranteed rule, but something that is given as a gesture when possible, at least if two are travelling together.

I know that Senators and equivalents are usually put in the front rows of economy, where possible.

Having said that, when I fly LH in Business, I am not able to select the front row of seats as only Senators can pre-book them (M&M only, not *A equivalents). I usually manage to get one when I’m at the airport.

There are no such blockages on Swiss. However, they don’t offer web-based seat selection, so I always select the seat with a phone call immediately after booking and usually get 1A or F within Europe.

Simon

JohnnyEnglish
    Participant

Thanks Simon and Trident,

Next time I fly, I’ll be sure to take the seat the Austrian website gives me (normally 5A) and see what pans out rather than changing to somewhere further back where the adjoining middle seat looks empty…

Thanks again.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Glad to have helped in some small way, Johnny.

That’s the strength of this Forum – the occasional clash of egos or intolerance to others’ opinions is its ocassional weakness!

Good luck with Austrian!

Simon

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls