bmi: More Woes, Glasgow Under Threat of Closure

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)

• VintageKrug
    Participant

Indeed, Bucksnet.

However, Lord Adonis did seem to have his head screwed on correctly, even if he couldn’t have been more inappropriately named.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Back on topic, just booking with bmi this evening, and note my service will be aboard an Astraeus aircraft. As you can imagine, I am thrilled at this prospect.

I genuinely fear this will be my last ever flight aboard bmi.

🙁

Travellator
    Participant

Why Astraeus -is this mid or short haul ?

Bunnahabhain
    Participant

At least you’ll get Churchill’s Speech instead of the safety demo.

Potakas
    Participant

Lucky you VK,

If you see him
    ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Bruce_Dickinson_2008.jpg ) on board, then he will be your Captain.

Yes Jim he could, this one has Churchill’s Speech and it’s from their latest album ”Flight 666” 😉

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hY80qp6km0

Enjoy !!!

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

The move to smaller aircraft……This is exactly what happened in Leeds…..just before they pulled out of the route completely

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

I am also sad to say, following 9 consecutive years at Gold with BMI, I finally succumbed and joined another FF program – there are just too many doubts surrounding their future.

Travellator
    Participant

Maybe time to use use use all those accumulated miles which I mainly use for my companion to fly on domestic routes.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Whereas I was advising last year to keep (modestly) accumulating bmi Diamond Club miles, while ensuring to keep an eye on spending them where possible, I am afraid my advice for this year is to “Burn, baby, burn!” those bmi miles.

Though there’s no need to fritter them away on domestic trips!

There is still the very lucrative “cash + miles” options for (most) *Alliance premium longhaul trips, and these are bookable 330 days ahead of travel, so plenty of scope to use them before Miles&Less comes along and spoils the party.

Potakas
    Participant

seasonedtraveller,

I thought that BMI was giving lifetime Gold status after 10 consecutive years on gold, although i am not sure, i think that you should check it with them because it is a great benefit.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Lifetime Gold would only be valid if bmi itself existed; it is highly unlikely to exist in two years’ time in its current format.

The benefits of Star Gold, when compared to the top tier on oneworld airlines, are marginal in my experience.

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

P. Sepsas

I have been asking BMI to confirm if the ‘lifetime Gold’ award still exists for several months. They said that it does at the moment but would not confirm or deny if I would be a recipient in early 2012.

VK – I agree, Star Gold does not offer the same level of real benefits offered by BA for example.

I currently hold 500,000 miles with DC will not be collecting any more.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Just to be clear, I don’t think they’ll disappear, it’s just that the Diamond Club will imminently fold into the Miles&Less programme which is not as lucrative when it comes to premium rewards.

travelworld
    Participant

BMI may be a shadow of its former self but it’s not as bad as Ethiopian, with whom it codeshares on LHR-Addis Ababa. Why they are happy to sell business class seats under the BD prefix on ET’s ancient 767s (the most down at heel aircraft I have ever flown on) is beyond me. And how ET has been allowed to join Star Alliance doesn’t say much for Star either.. Even Azebaijan Airlnes’ aircraft are less scruffy…..

Bunnahabhain
    Participant

Captain BD (coincidentally!) meets VK – Churchill’s Speech was originally the intro to Aces High on their Live after Death album from the late 80s – maybe not the best seller in HMV airside.

I happened to spot the Astreus 757 they painted for the Flight 666 tour and named Ed Force One at a remote stand at Gatwick one day.

Captain BD also used to present a rock show on BBC Radio 6 music on Friday evenings, not sure if he still does. Presumably not while he was flying VK though!!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls