Best way to Hawaii!

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)

• Anonymous

blondcat
    Participant

Hoping for some advice…..

I am desperate to go to Hawaii (probably next year as it’s going to be a pricey trip and I need to save). My teenage son absolutely loves turtles and I’m told Hawaii is the best place in the world to dive and guarantee to see them. Willing to support anything my kid is into that doesn’t involve the Xbox (COD) or teenage girls!

I didn’t quite realise what a pain it was to get to from London.

Does anyone have any suggestions on the best route / airlines ? I know I’m going to have to change somewhere in the US but not sure what the best plan is. I’d like to travel business class ideally, but because this is for a vacation and not business I do have a budget – maybe 3k tops for flight per person. I don’t even know if this is realistic because it’s not sale time at the moment so prices look really high to me.

Would really appreciate some ideas 🙂
    Cat

NTarrant
    Participant

A colleague went to Hawaii a couple of years ago and went BA to Dallas and then AA onwards. He did say it was a good way of doing it.

hope that helps a bit

GoonerLondon
    Participant

Not sure about best route – but it’s a great value BA miles trip as its counted as part of north america, so is still 100,000 miles for J class. I’d agree that the BA/AA combo via ORD or DFW is a good place to start. Check BA.com.

If using miles, I understand its best to book J class redemption by phone (even with the xtra cost) as the agent will book you into AA F, whereas ba.com books you into Y.

NTarrant
    Participant

That is a good point Gooner, my colleague had to telephone as he was using miles and wanted to travel F to DFW and business on AA

Potakas
    Participant

Nigel’s suggestion for the DFW is the best one, from DFW you will fly to Hawai with a 763 which is far better than the 757s that they use exLAX, especially on their premium cabin.

Keep in mind that US airlines do not have domestic Business but only First. If you book it on miles do it by calling BA as they will book you on First for the domestic routes, if you book the international segment on Business.

DFW and LAX have flight going both to HNL and Maui (OGG).

EDIT—–

I was checking the routes on AA.com and I got late 😉

Senator
    Participant

blondcat,

I would believe it or not, suggest Continental via EWR or IAH. I believe their Z-class fare will come in around £3000 per person, and you could get a free stopover in NYC inbound or outbound included in the price.

CO operates B767-XXXs from EWR and IAH into HNL with the same hard product as Intercontinental flights, with amended F&B service. Reviews I’ve read state that CO’s Hawaii offer is the best among US carriers. I have experienced CO on long-haul a few times, and I have been delighted by the experience.

The one drawback is that the flight via EWR is a tad long. EWR-HNL is 10:45min, so unless you plan to stay in the NYC area, I would route via IAH. On the return, it is overnight into EWR leaves around 8pm, arriving around 11am providing time in NYC if so required.

thfc1972
    Participant

Some good suggestions already posted Delta Airlines seem the best value starting at £2727.00 via Seattle in Business class and onward in First class based on travel next January as an example.

Binman62
    Participant

Air France + Delta via CDG and LAX £2817 for travel in August
    BA + Hawaian Club + First via LAX £3164
    Have also found BA/AA First on BA and AA for £3478 this seems like a reasonable fare

fare construction:-

_ LON BA X/LAX BA HNL 2392.03AAP9UK BA X/LAX BA LON 2392.03AAP9UK NUC 4784.06 END ROE 0.634398 XT 120.00GB 30.63UB 3.40YC 4.30XY 3.10XA 20.00US 4.50AY 255.00YQ 2.80XF LAX4.50

However, and as usual, if you begin in Europe, Amsterdam for example then Club on BA/AA starts at around £2000.

Fare construction INCEU28

AMS BA X/LON BA X/LAX AA HNL 1270.61INCEU28 AA X/LAX BA X/LON BA AMS 1403.25RRCEU28 NUC 2673.86 END ROE 0.753963 XT 39.32UB 10.90CJ 12.80RN 1.70VV 3.40YC 4.30XY 3.10XA 20.00US 4.50AY 223.80YQ 2.80XF LAX4.50

Senator
    Participant

Binman 62,

I found the BA fare from ARN at 23.000 SEK which is roughly £2200 with BA to LAX, and AA onward. So, you are right this is an option.

Ellwood
    Participant

Had to jump in on this one.
    I know it is the other way round to most people’s thinking but Korean Air via Seoul.
    Great product and great airport to change, avoids the US and is only GBP 2430.

Downside, slightly longer journey and you have to overnight in Seoul on the way back but they will put you up in a lovely hotel with transfers and meals.
    London 19:35 – 14:25+1 Seoul (lovely lounge) 20:20+1 – Hawaii 09:50+1 (total journey time 25:15)
    Hawaii 14:20 – 19:20+1 Seoul (comp overnight) 13:10+2 – London 16:20+2

CHETINNJ
    Participant

Posting this from NJ and I agree with Senator. We took the EWR/HNL flight in BusinessFirst for my 50th last year and the service was just perfect. It is a long way and since your coming from the UK would advise a layover or stop in NYC for a day or two to rest up,

CO really has a nice product and the chicken dish I enjoyed for lunch is still memorable as was the hot fudge sundae they prepare for you.

Save up the money and do go and if you get to Kauai you must take a helicopter tour of the Napali Coast. We used Blue Hawaii Helicopters and purchased our flight on DVD and its not a canned version either as our voices and comments can be heard on it!

MAHALO NUI LOA!

CallMeIshmael
    Participant

Time permitting, Round the world ticket with One World or Star, inclusive of 5/6 stops are usually good value – going West to East.

blondcat
    Participant

This is brilliant – tks for all the advise. I’ll start researching some of the options / prices straight away!

I am so excited about Hawaii – literally can’t wait and I haven’t even booked anything yet 🙂

Binman62
    Participant

Cat

Just to add. If you choose BA then you will also get miles and tier points for the flights.

If starting in AMS and paying £2000 each then the tier points and miles you would get would be as follows.

I have assumed all are silver card holders in the details below, if not then simply half the miles, the tier points stay the same.

Club world gets 560 tier points and 41212 BA miles.
    First Class gets 800 tier points and 42490 BA Miles.

If you travel as a family of 4 and have a household account then you would gain 169960 miles, enough for a First class return redemption ticket to the USA.

If you get a BA Amex premium plus card to pay for the tickets add a further 24000 miles and once you have spent £10k you get an Amex 241 voucher. Meaning you miles will now get you 2 seats in First to the USA.

Happy Flying

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls