Best Oneword First Class lounge in LHR T3?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)

• Anonymous

travelworld
    Participant

I have Emerald status in Oneworld through Cathay Pacific and Amex Centurion. I’m flying to Seoul tomorrow on Finnair from LHR via Helsinki. I think I can use any OneWorld first class lounge in T3, whcih effectively means, I belive, those for BA, Cathay and American. . Assuming all are open, which is the best choice?

Magic875
    Participant

Finnair is using the Cathay Lounge at LHR Airport. First Class is quite nice and you have a hot and cold buffet with a good food selection. Not sure if you are allowed to use all available lounges, I actually was not and I am holding as well the Emerald Status within the One World Alliance.

BusinessClass
    Participant

IMO the BA First and Club lounges are the best in T3. The Cathay lounges are very nice too, but I would avoid the AA lounge – not that I have been in that one.

VintageKrug
    Participant

I’d (unsurprisingly) agree that BA/Qantas have the best T3 oneworld lounges.

You’ll prefer the Virgin Clubhouse if bling’s your thing, or if you’re looking for a change from the somewhat calming and corporate lounge most airlines operate. The Clubhouse is superb, but palls on repeated visits.

The AAdmiral’s club is a shocking pastiche of a neauveau’s D-list country house circa 1987; catering is dire, and staff are bipolar. I think it’s directly underneath the Clubhouse. I walked in and walked right out.

Cathay has an F lounge with a pleasant view, though it’s small and somewhat ascetic. Veuve Cliquot (only NV), though, so if you’re going to end up in monastic surroundings, it’s not all bad. The Business lounge is busier, but has great food, but not much of a view.

BA is the only oneworld lounge which offers spa treatments for BA/QF passengers. And of course, there is some excellent artwork to enjoy during your wait.

BusinessClass
    Participant

Well said VK……I couldn’t have described the Cathay lounges better myself.

RichHI1
    Participant

Unsurprisingly given my preference for AA over BA , I would go AA Flagship lounger every time. BA lounge is OK but do not like the atmosphere from the pruple lighting on the lobby to the cramped seating set up. I find the Flagship lounger more spacious and I like the reclining seats with leg rests. The revised catering is a great improvement. Whilst the menu choice is very restricted in comparison to BA the quality is light years ahead. Different strokes for different folks though and I think both are acceptable as a place to effectively wait for your flight. As already discussed ad nauseam many BA EC members on the forum seem to like to make their visit to the Concorde room or any BA lounge the highlight of their trip whereas i only visit lthe ounge if I miscalculate and get to the terminal too early.
    My real regret is they closed the JAL lounge.
    VK did you visit the Flagship lounge as I do not recognize it from your description (or are you referring to the old version pre last year’s remodel?

VintageKrug
    Participant

No it was the slidy “Star Trek” door version post remodel; I last visited around May.

RichHI1
    Participant

Thanks, it’s as well that people have differing tastes or we would all be in one lounge and there would be no seats and no drinks left….

eirtraveller
    Participant

I have yet to find myself in any AA Lounge anywhere in the world that I doesn’t make me want to walk straight back out into the terminal – they are without exception dreary, depressing, lacking in any decent food and drink offerings – and frequently full of that loud-mouthed corporate sector of the premium classes I try and avoid. Makes you long for some Virgin rock n roll…

RichHI1
    Participant

Eirtraveller, your post makes sense, whilst I find BA not at all bad in many cases , I now avoid Virgin at all costs. As I said earlier different strokes, different folks…

Binman62
    Participant

BA T3 when fully operational but the showers are out for up to 6 weeks…again and if they are indeed out for this long the they will have been for 23% of the year. No wonder so many have had the opportunity to visit the AA and CX lounges!!

travelworld
    Participant

All- very many thanks for all your helpful posts. One query picked up from the first reply- I am flying business on Finnair and have Cathay Emerald status. Will they let me in to BA First class or indeed Cathay First? One poster thought not.

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

Travelworld: You are entitled to use the Cathay FIRST Lounge as you are travelling with a OneWorld Carrier.

It will be less crowded also.

RichHI1
    Participant

Yep emerald one world travelling on One world service you can use any First Class one world lounge. I am surprised with their love of lounges that some posters do not try and spend the whole day doing all of the lounges one after another. With time to spare one could then also try out all the T5 lounges as well as T3.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls