Best inflight meal?

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)

• superchris
    Participant

and no discussion about in flight food should be aloud to pass without reference to this gem of a complaint letter to Virgin a few years back.

‘What is this? Why have I been given it? What have I done to deserve this? And, which one is the starter, which one is the desert?’

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/4344890/Virgin-the-worlds-best-passenger-complaint-letter.html

WillieWelsh
    Participant

I’ve never managed the Christmas goose but probably the best meal I’ve ever had was a salmon and prawn starter followed up by a steak with baked potato and a salad and a lemon mousse on LH in C. They do know how to get food right, if only others would learn from them.

TiredOldHack
    Participant

I’ve flown on New Year’s Eve (BA LHR-EZE) and T5 was deserted…

Meals – most memorably, oddly was USAir in the early 1990s, economy to Charlotte. They served a prawn chowder, and it was *extraordinarily* good. And a large helping with lots of prawns, too. Doctor TOH and I were delighted.

Worst? Can’t remember. I always look at what people are being served, and if it seems (and smells) gash, I simply don’t eat. A shepherd’s pie on Monarch springs to mind as something where I broke my usual rule, and regretted it.

jsn55
    Participant

Continental used to serve cheeseburgers up front … sounds bizarre, but they were absolutely delicious with a nice salad. I wish more airlines would provide simple foods, well cooked.

norbert2008
    Participant

LH Frankfurt to JFK First class, lounge, then car, then caviar, the lovely three plate starters, main, cheese, pud sleep, more food then arrive. Perfect.

canucklad
    Participant

Hueyjudy, you’re spot on….keeping it simple is definitely the answer. Hence why BDs macaroni and cheese gets an honourable mention. Leave the Worcestershire or Tabasco sauce as a perk it up option..

I’ve always wondered why airlines dont do the simplest of breakfasts…The ubiquitous 3 minute boiled egg with soldiers! You can’t get fresher than that. : )

TiredOldHack
    Participant

It’d need to be boiled for longer than three minutes! Cabin pressure, remember?

jsn55
    Participant

Always nice to have someone agree, canucklad. You remind me of the broccoli potato dish that United picked up from Continental for breakfast – sublime. Have to go with TOH on the egg tho – they’d NEVER get it right!

BTW, for all my ‘old friends’ on this forum, I am still Judy Nagy from San Francisco; just had to switch the email stuff around. Huey was my HP laptop once upon a time.

drflight
    Participant

Concorde with buckets of champagne and caviar – nothing else was needed!

canucklad
    Participant

Welcome back Judy,
    And you and TOH are probably right. There is nothing more disappointing in life than to crack open your boiled egg to then realize that you can’t dunk your soldiers in the yolk…..

Then the Yolk’s on you ….

BTMEEditor
    Participant

Great thread…particularly as it’s lunchtime!
    Favourite meal in recent memory (around this time last year) was OS business class from Vienna to Dubai. Full marks to DO&CO – choice of fresh salads came to the seat and the salmon, spinach and fennel mash main was as good as anything I’ve had on the ground. Seem to remember the banana parfait wasn’t bad either.
    This year I couldn’t fault QR to Philadelphia or EY to LA but if I had to pick one then VS Upper Class DXB-LHR (generous leek and potato soup and beef, potato cakes and french beans).

FaroFlyer
    Participant

Best steaks were on UA F from HKG. They served chateaubriand, carved seat side with a long bladed carving knife. Mr Bin Laden has a lot to answer for.
    Agree that CX caviar and salmon starter served in F was also excellent.
    Best recent meal was a fillet steak in CX C to AKL. Really excellent

jsn55
    Participant

We fly all the time on the holiday itself, Canucklad, easy if you don’t have kids. Christmas is the best, bring the crew some goodies. The savings are great.

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls