Best Hotel in Manila

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

• Stephen
    Participant

The hotel coming third (The Shangri-La Makati) has been closed since COVID!

cwoodward
    Participant

This seems not to be the case Stephen

I just did a dummy booking directly with the Shangri-la web site from 24 to 27th October (below) and it appears that the hotel is operating.

I also read some months ago (during Covid) that it was closing permanently however this appears not to be the case. The Makati site is a perfect and valuable one for a 5 star hotel and other sites in the area would be difficult obtain. It seems that they had second thoughts and reopened after an upgrade. I have stayed at the hotel several times but also at the new one at ‘The Fort’ which was superb.

Shangri-la list 3 hotels in Manila

Deluxe Room
    Each room offers 33 – 42sqm / 355 – 452 sqf of luxury
    Room Details
    Members Online Exclusive Rate (Twin)

Members Online Exclusive
    No Prepayment
    Rate Details
    HKD 1,448.7
    HKD 1,376.26
    PHP 9,975
    Book Now

Stephen
    Participant

Thanks so much for the reply and great news! I agree it was indeed a good hotel well run and some outstanding restaurants. Well positioned as well. I will drop by later today and see for myself!

FormerBA
    Participant

Can’t say what the best hotel is today but in the early 1990’2 it was without question the Intercontinental. Many a happy stay.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Stephen
    Participant

It was indeed but I can confirm that hotel has long gone now and has become another shopping Mall!

cwoodward
    Participant

Hi Stephen

The Makati Shangri-la Hotel reopened on the 8th August.

To be sure I just called Shangri-la HK booking office and they advise that the hotel has reopened on its existing sight in early August.

I would suggest that the entrance may have perhaps changed or that you were looking at the wrong building as of course a 30 story hotel could not become just a shopping mall.

There are many reports on the internet per the below.

“Makati Shangri-La reopened its doors in August 8 after temporarily closing for over two years, with the hotel now focusing on sustainability as a new drive in welcoming customers.10 Aug 2023”

There is a long report about the reopening in The Manila Times of August 8th that is still available to read on the internet.

This hotel is available to book on all major booking sights as I previously mentioned.

FormerBA
    Participant

It closed a very long time ago indeed I think sometime in the late 90’s

I once stayed in the Shangri-la for almost 2 months. It resulted in a dinner party story I still tell today, but alas cannot put into print.

I loved Manila, I loved the Philippines and have some fabulous memories.

A Pavorotti concert sitting feet from Imelda Marcos and being blinded by the diamond choker she wore.

Corregidor and the amazing tunnels and history!

Staying on Boracay when it was a sleepy village and the room had no hot water. Fun times!

cwoodward
    Participant

FormerBA you are very mistaken.
    I suggest that you check for yourself.

Perhaps you confused this with the old Mandarin that closed obout then
    (a new one opens later this year)

To be clear there are now 3 Shangri-la hotels operating in Manila

I go to Manila at least 6 times a year and and have family and a business there.
    I do know what is happening re hotels there.

BackOfThePlane
    Participant

@cwoodward – I think @FormerBA & @Stephen may be referring to the old InterContinental??

cwoodward
    Participant

Good thought – Possibly !

Stephen
    Participant

To clarify: YES, the Makati Shangri-La has reopened. Sorry my mistake must have missed the opening or simply not been invited!

The Intercontinental Makati is gone it is now a shopping mall. Delightful hotel but a consistent complaint was the small size of the rooms. Plus, lack of parking when the open area parking up front was tuned into yet another Mall. The hotel had no dedicated parking. The Mandarin again in its old location has gone totally being turned into a condominium but is reborn in a new location near across the road in a new development of offices apartments and the hotel., Oh and Malls of course where would we be in Manila without another Mall? Roads you say. No new roads nor parking to accommodate the extra traffic visiting the place. Who wants to build a car park when they can build a Mall?!

cwoodward
    Participant

I disagree with your conclusions re road construction and parking in Makati and Metro Manila in general.

There has been a huge amount of road building in Metro Manila over the past 10 years and much more is underway including a new MTR system and heavy rail to Manila’s fast developing second airport. Right across the Phillipines there are underway huge road building programs.

The on-street car parking is well managed and policed and close to covered 3000 additional parking bay in malls and hotels have been created. All hotels are required to provide 1 parking bay for every 3 rooms and any public restaurants need to offer a parking space for ever 30sq meters. According to published reports these regulations are now heavily policed

As an example 4 years ago from our Manila house it took us between 2 and 3.5 hours to reach the airport and at least 2.5 hours to Makati. This unless we left home between about 2 and 5am the main routes were gridlocked at all other times.

Now it takes us 50 minutes to the airport and 45 minutes to Makati. Parking in malls is always available but of course at a price (but often free deepening on your spend)

Parking in Makati is no worse than in many major capitals central business areas and better than many in my opinion.

K1ngston
    Participant

The Shangri La in BCG is much better than the Makati site IMHO. However as mentioned the traffic issue means that you should never be too far away from your destinantion as you could spend most of your time in traffic

Chris in Makati
    Participant

To address the original question posted in the subject, I’d say either the Raffles Makati or the Fairmont Makati would be among the best hotels in Manila. Better than the Shangri-La Makati in my opinion. They’re co-located right next to the Glorietta shopping mall, and just across the road from Greenbelt, where you can find many good restaruants.

As the previous poster said, it’s better to factor location into your choice of hotel in Manila as the traffic can be appalling, and even gridlocked at busy times.

FormerBA
    Participant

Indeed I was. The IC not the Shari-la

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls