BA's appalling website

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)

• capetonianm
    Participant

The website problem ……… apparently is due to an upgrade…….

Have they heard of Beta testing?
    Of course they have, they do it on the customers.

OneA
    Participant

Frankly the BA website has been returning frequent error messages for years – especially when trying to book avios upgrades in my expeience. This was even well before the devaluation of avios!
    The new site is more modern looking but no less dysfunctional than the old one – new wrapper but same junk programming within. It is an embarassment to be associated with our country albeit only in name. Maybe Cruz (and Walsh) could take a pay cut and zero bonuses for a year each and the money used for professional programming of what is a comkex site but that other airlines seem to make work somewhat better?
    Then…pigs may fly!

ThomasCox
    Participant

Completely agree. The web channel is now a truly disastrous user experience and has been getting progressively worse ever since BA’s in-house IT was effectively outsourced to IAG’s offshore provider. Yet another example of IAG leadership mistaking all-out cost-cutting with coherent corporate strategy. As long as the Euros keep rolling in though no one in Leadership, least of all Mr Cruz, is going to care.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Interesting, 16 people have commented and not one has defended BA’s website.

That speaks volumes.

capetonianm
    Participant

Not directly relevant, but a friend of mine travelled LHR-CPT earlier this week on BA. She was going to travel in C, I suggested she took PE and saved the money as PE is better value. As it happened she was upgraded to C and said it was appalling and was very glad I’d talked her out of paying a C class fare!

Chutzpahflyer
    Participant

I tried to check in 20 hours ahead on the phone app, but it reported problem and please check in via website or at the airport. So a few hours later I tried to check in on the website, only to see that I am already checked in. Very confusing!

BerksTraveller
    Participant

Eventually managed to log in.
    Tried to change my booking.
    At the end of the process, system said the fare was no longer available.
    Tried to ring – ExecSilver line closed.
    Two pax on booking, tried to change just one.
    Again, system said fare was no longer available. Gave up and phoned next day.
    System had in fact changed one passenger and charged me GBP109 yet no email send and BA advised no ticket reissued.
    Finally managed to get both bookings changed – process took about and hour and a half start to finish.
    Not good enough BA – website is poor.

TominScotland
    Participant

Its the absurdities that frustrate.
    We flew into Calgary a couple of weeks ago and are flying out of Vancouver tonight.
    Yesterday, I wanted to explore a possible upgrade from WT+ to Club using Avios. Not possible because our journey included a land transfer…. Err, what? How do they know we did not fly from Calgary to Vancouver (we did not) and what has that got to do with it anyway…..?
    I suppose I could call the Gold Line but should I need to?

FrequentTraveller
    Participant

Yes, you need to phone to upgrade an open jaw ticket with Avois. I have had the same problem in the past.

It is not one of those temporary problems, it’s always the case.

capetonianm
    Participant

I doubt if the work experience kids who design the apps and website know what an open jaw is in this context.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

capetonianm
    Participant

Love this comment :

What they really need is a vast upgrade of the people who manage and specify the changes to their website.

capetonianm
    Participant

As an aside, I just found out you can’t book an open jaw on LOT website. It’s not that it doesn’t work, the option just isn’t there. That said, what is there all works, and it’s clean and functional and clear, typically Polish in fact.

Maybe BA could learn from that, instead of trying fancy rubbish that doesn’t work, stick to the basics that most people want most of the time, and get them to work.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=867284]As an aside, I just found out you can’t book an open jaw on LOT website. It’s not that it doesn’t work, the option just isn’t there. That said, what is there all works, and it’s clean and functional and clear, typically Polish in fact.

Maybe BA could learn from that, instead of trying fancy rubbish that doesn’t work, stick to the basics that most people want most of the time, and get them to work.[/quote]

You mean something like this?

https://www.easyjet.com/en/

capetonianm
    Participant

Well, yes, FDOS, that’s a fair comment but EZY is primarily a point to point operation with only three fare types, so no connections, no classes, no complex fare structures, no redemptions, etc, so it’s a little unfair to compare, but of course you are correct. What they do, they do properly, which is more than can be said for BA.

Not only that, but their aircraft are new and generally pretty clean and tidy, with smiling crews, more than can be said for BA, although earlier this week I flew out of LGW on an EZY ‘plane that looked a bit scruffy, but we were bused out from the terminal to somewhere halfway to Cardiff, so I’m guessing that it’s an aircraft that was drafted in at the last minute to replace the one scheduled for the service.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls