BA worldwide computer outage. Again

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

• TiredOldHack2
    Participant

Computer problems at Heathrow are delaying flights. Departure boards not displaying info. Sitting in my aircraft at the gate while the captain has gone landslide to see what’s going on.
    Problem is worldwide, says our captain.
    For
    Christ’s
    Sake

1 user thanked author for this post.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

Any other CEO who has racked up this number of IT failures would have gone ages ago. The fact Cruz is still there without any apparent reprimand or punishment provides no incentive for him to solve the numerous problems once and for all

esselle
    Participant

I’m waiting for a video clip of Cruz wearing a Hi-Viz jacket, blaming the tea lady for unplugging the wrong plug when trying to boil the kettle, and making an apology on her behalf.

canucklad
    Participant

Who needs the HAL stuff to disrupt your operation when your own staff can do it far more effectively from within : )

TiredOldHack2
    Participant

Later this month, I have to go to the US and the Netherlands. And then South Africa on 1 September. I seriously doubt I’ll make all flights unscathed. Who the hell is responsible for BA’s IT anyway? Give the bastards a Morse lamp and a set of semaphore flags, and tell them to practice.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Yes, the website seems to have reverted to the ‘old’ version which is normally a sign they are trying to work out what’s gone wrong.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Short haul flights seem to be badly affected.

https://www.britishairways.com/travel/flightops/public/en_gb?p_faqid=7638&source=hp_disruption_banner

Systems issue affecting check-in and flight departures
    Answer Id 7638 Updated 07/08/2019 09.04 AM (UK time)
    Summary
    We are very sorry to our customers for the disruption to their travel plans.
    We are working as quickly as possible to resolve a systems issue which has resulted in some short-haul cancellations and delays from London airports.
    More information
    A number of flights continue to operate but we are advising customers to check the latest flight information before coming to the airport. We are offering customers booked on short-haul services departing from Heathrow, Gatwick and London City today, the opportunity to rebook to another day.
    Check the status of your flight
    The situation may be liable to change at short notice, so please keep checking the status of your flight before travelling to the airport. You can also check your flight status on your mobile phone.

SimonS1
    Participant

The sign of a smart CEO is to strip out costs, maximise profits and then quit at the top leaving a successor to deal with the consequences of lack of investment.

WW has undoubtedly been smart, merging airlines, delivering synergies and undoubtedly maximising value for shareholders. He didn’t succeed with Norwegian….who knows how much more mileage he has left on the clock.

Cruz on the other hand reminds me of the manager of my local supermarket. Nice chap but the number of issues with IT, personal data etc is starting to build up. In fact he sounds like the Chris Grayling of the skies, ineffective but enjoying his boss’s support.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

SimonS1, and to rub salt in the proverbial wound if he leaves he will go with a big fat pay off and on to another job because of his connections. Not a whisper from the Board or WW.

DerekVH
    Participant

Given BA’s tendency to cancel shorthaul flights when this sort of chaos occurs, is it not time that BA’s monopoly on the LHR/GLA route was ended and some slots gifted to another operator who would stop this discrimination!

SimonS1
    Participant

BA is really getting trashed on the evening news.

Repeated IT issues. Data compromised. Pilot strikes. Cancellations. Emergency evacuation at Valencia. Avoiding advising people of EC261 entitlements despite having contact details. And so on.

At least this time Alex is not doing his flack-jacket bit.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

..and where is Alex?? I might have missed it but has any senior BA executive stepped up to the mic??

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=952565]..and where is Alex?? I might have missed it but has any senior BA executive stepped up to the mic??[/quote]

Of course not. The BA way is for staff and management to hide away when things go wrong.

Stage 2 is to weasel out of EC261 responsibilities. Remember the big ding-dong with the Association of British Insurers last time when BA tried to pass the buck and were shamed into withdrawing their advice for passengers to contact their insurers.

Imagine, some people being told they may not get away on holiday until after the weekend!!! All because penny pinching management at BA won’t invest in decent IT and are more concerned about fattening profits/personal bonuses.

AFlyingDutchman
    Participant

It seems to me like BA have had this, IT, issues many times in the past or at least somewhat recently, or am I mistaken.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls