BA .. upgrading at ‘check in’ or ‘the gate

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 72 total)

• RichHI1
    Participant

My faith in the British Government is restored (AA doesn’t have WT+ which is why I had no clue about it). And if I am correct the really affluent who contribute well to political parties of varying complexions pay no UKAPD on private flights, is that correct?

Terminal5
    Participant

When BA overbook flights and upgrade a few lucky individuals, do they upgrade based on Exec Club Status / Tier Points or is it on a “Who asks gets” principle.
    I’ve had a few upgrades recently (am Gold with a good amount of Tier Points) but have also seen others, with lower Exec Status / Tier Points, upgraded ahead of me. Assume there is a process?

Scandinavian
    Participant

From an airline’s revenue generation perspective it is uncertain whether selling upgrades at the airport is always a good idea.

On the plus side it boosts short-term revenue generation and it is better to get passengers to pay for upgrades when overbooking occurs rather than giving away lots of free upgrades.

The main pitfall is the potential long-term change to customer behaviour should business travellers start buying cheap economy tickets which they the complement with upgrades to business and first purchased at the airport. This is could cause a loss in overall revenues, especially on long-haul.

The key is to not offer it all the time so that a customer can not always expect it. Offer it “randomly” at different times of the year, flights and destinations so that it never becomes a fixed part of your product which is available on every flight.

Binman62
    Participant

RichHI1….correct currently no APD on private flights.

HonestCrew
    Participant

No need to duck Martyn, I’m saving my ‘caps’ for someone else’s ass.

Most staff know 99% of the time they will be travelling in the cabin of their entitlement. They will also know in advance the number of other staff on standby and their position on the waiting list.

Entitlement depends on their role within the company, length of service within the company and which class of ticket they have purchased.

Puppy-dog eyes at the dispatcher doesn’t work in these days of computer automation.

You may sometimes see folk trying to catch the dispatcher’s eye. This may be because at certain outstations, such as in South Africa, the simple task of loading staff is often spectacularly messed up and those waiting do not want to be forgotten about.

Sometimes, when the flight is full, staff are given a seat just as the gate closes, seats that were expected to be occupied but the customer has not connected through in time or made it to the gate in time.

On these occasions, if the seat was in a different cabin and all other passengers have boarded, the staff member may be lucky.

Since all staff have been told by Willie Walsh some time ago that unauthorised upgrades are THEFT, looking after our own has declined somewhat. Also there is a massive internal distrust of colleagues right now so as crew we are actually happy that staff expectations of being upgraded by us have fallen.

This does not include Captains though! They are permitted to upgrade ANYONE for ANY reason. None of this ‘for operational or commercial reasons’ for them. Family, friends, friends of friends, milkman, you name it. They are happy to leave messages for other Captains to do the deed.

So, TOP-TIP, if you ever meet a BA Captain find a reason to stay in touch, even if he is dull as ditchwater, it’s your best way to a better seat.

…and as the saying goes, if you are at a party with 500 people, how do you who is a pilot?……. He’ll tell you!

RichHI1
    Participant

Crazy… If on duty and resting then should be first if no crew rest faciltiies on plane, if purchased first ticket then first if coach then coach. I have noticed on BA on my Lisbon flights the number of off duty pilots (not in uniform but you hear the conversation with crew) there are in CE. Not so noticeable on AA.

HonestCrew
    Participant

Captains are entitled to CE staff tickets when using their staff travel.

Could be they are on duty but ‘deadheading’ out of uniform, some routes have schedules that require regular deadheading duties. Maybe Lisbon has such a schedule if you see them often

. Could be staff who have purchased what we call a ‘premium standby’ ticket, which is a Club cabin seat.

PerthWA
    Participant

You know it’s quite incredible the number of clearly expensive “man-hours” this forum attracts on the issue of upgrades and status and it’s making me think the airlines are either missing a trick OR … We are all so up ourselves that we need to be smarted over for a whole 2.5 seconds in first or business.

With the exception of a few on a jolly conference it seems the biggest priority for everyone in F/J is a comfortable seat, relative peace, something to eat and a glass of wine before bedding down for a long awaited sleep preferably with a free pair of socks…

So… Rather than waste our expensive time desperately attempting to understand the vagaries of the upgrade system… How about we all vote for airlines to return to the golden age of air travel… The one class system where EVERYONE gets a decent seat with enough pitch to sleep and space for your knees, a decent glass of plonk and enough toilets to ensure that those who feel the need to completely reapply their makeup, deflate their feet etc etc don’t interfere with the rest of us who are happy to keep accruing the landing privileges so we can shower on arrival rather than deal with soggy loo floors…

This way… Airlines won’t have to worry about filling over priced cabins with upgrade wannabes… And I (not being a bloke) … won’t have to deal with the fawning sycophantic (female) crew who don’t quite “get” not all platinum fliers are in fact men.

Sorry guys…. Long long long week……

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I dont think a one class suits all model will work for longhaul. However, I totally agree with your comments about the need for comfort and decent plonk/food.

I have taken the view for many years that need is for an economy section and premium section. Whilst I may enjoy flying First, I consider it an obscene waste of money, when in most cases business class exceeds the old first class product. BUT I accept, that each and everyone of us has the right to decide how we spend our money.

What would be interesting though is on a 2 class longhaul service, i.e. economy and business/first etc, what the phsycy of the upgrade will be.

If pax have a business ticket on a 3 class aircraft, naturally the upgrade is possible and desired. However, if a First pax knew his neigbhour was a “free roller” understandably, he may be cheesed off.

However, on a 2 class model, flying up front, there is no where to go and therefore the pax does not feel the need to “go for that upgrade”, unless in economy.

The point is, increase the business package, get rid of the First product, revert to a 2 class model and the upgrade issue and free rollers to a degree dissappears or at the least diminish in numbrs

Cwyfan
    Participant

How does one monitor the ‘actual’ loads Vs the ‘seats available for sale’ on a BA flight, or is that not for Joe Public?

I know it is easy with AA, but they are more helpful than BA in selecting your flight

Stretch
    Participant

I recently flew from LHR – MAD. There were customer service desks with “Upgrades Available” displayed. I asked how much an upgrade was on the 1st sector. Only £855 I tell you! Bargain! I asked at the gate; they said they weren’t able to. Does anyone know how this upgrade system works? I’m currently being offered an upgrade on my booking in December to India for £400 from WT+ to CW. Is this likely to be cheaper on the gate or after check in? I know there are a lot of seats available outbound in CW.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I can only presume that this is a revenue generating scheme from the airline.

I think its a great system as it allows people the choice whether to upgrade or not (for cost). I hope the airline sticks to the policy, after all the pax is stil buying a ticket, at sale price.

Travellator
    Participant

Leaving from T5 long haul next couple of weeks in CW, would like to enquire about paid for upgrades at the airport – do I do this at bag drop cos will have smartfone boarding pass or is there a special desk ?

VintageKrug
    Participant

You should check online in the Manage My Booking MMB section of ba.com, as there may already be an option to upgrade with cash (or miles).

If that’s not available (and keep checking back!) then try at a desk – I always use F check in so not sure what the other arrangements are.

To avoid added confusion, you might be better off checking in online, not using your smartphone, and not Printing Your Own Boarding Pass PYOBP.

LeTigre
    Participant

With the new bronze tier will we see the return of free upgrades (to some extent)?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 72 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls