BA .. upgrading at ‘check in’ or ‘the gate

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 72 total)

• Anonymous

Bullfrog
    Participant

I’m flying Club from TLV to LHR next week, the first sector of a 4 sector booking.

If I wanted to upgrade to First, do BA have a policy and/or special price for a last minute one sector upgrade if space is available ?

RoadKing
    Participant

Not sure if it is policy or not, but we saved £100 a seat by upgrading at the gate and not the check in when we flew from Shanghai to London.

Potakas
    Participant

At LHR there is an upgrade desk after security, I think it is next to A10 gate.

rferguson
    Participant

Hi Bullfrog.

Indeed, you should be able to upgade at check in. Actually you will likely be offered it online -24hrs from departure also.

BA have discovered that the incentive in selling upgrades at check in.

It was originally trialled at LGW to great success. It isn’t available at ALL airports though. I’m not sure what the situation is in TLV.

It is a win-win situation and makes perfect sense. BA often heavily overbook World Traveller when seat loads in World Traveller Plus/Club are lighter, so they know far in advance they will have to upgrade passengers anyway to fill all the seats. The revenue management side of each flight is so complex. For example I was monitoring the ‘actual’ loads Vs the ‘seats available for sale’ loads on a flight I was travelling on to SIN last month as I was using a standby ticket. Six days out the seats available for sale were 1 in F, 8 in J, 4 in W and 27 in M. Yet the actual seats available were 0 in F, 21 in J, 14 in W and M was already overbooked by 3. So the modus operandi for revenue management is to constantly adjust the supply to make sure there is a bum on nearly ever seat. In the case above its pretty obvious that they wouldnt sell 21 J seats in ten days, so they release only 8 for sale which history will tell the computer is the maximum they can expect in that window while continuing to sell WT seats (which are much easier to sell) knowing that there will be a no-show % and for the rest they will have to upgrade a percentage of passengers on the day.

Well upgrading lucky passengers on the day is how it USED to happen. Today, when you check in online 24hrs in advance you will most likely be given the option to upgrade at that point.

Then when you arrive at the airport you will be given the option again. Some airports such as LAX proactively sell the upgrades and have posters/banners up etc. Others (ie LHR) you can ask and you will be directed to a dedicated upgrade counter. And at a few the facility is still not available.

But as far as BA is concerned it will get as many as people as they can to pay for an upgrade (which in many cases they know they HAVE to upgrade passengers anyway) which leaves the possibility of one of those lucky free upgrades less likely.

And with future incentives due to be trialled soon (upgrade offers flashing up on the self check in kiosks/exec club members being able to upgrade at the gate using their miles) the chances of a freebie will be even more slim.

Binman62
    Participant

The various regions of the world are actively competeing with one another to see who can generate the most revenue both in gereral terms and on a per pax basis. Accordingly if your are interested in an upgarde ask and if you do not like the price, barter. I ahve it on very good authority that when booked loads are light airport staff can and will be flexible on the price charged. As always however this does not apply in LHR.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

A superb idea to create revenue. Charging for upgrades. As long as revenue management ensure that it applies to all passengers, including staff!

Perhaps then Gold Card holders or passengers of value can be given preference earlier in the check in process to buy an upgrade, rather than constantly watching the scramble at the boarding gate seeing staff and friends of staff trying to catch the red cap’s attention.

Overall, a superb and inovative idea, one that could create additional revenue, especially pleasing to the shareholders.

RoadKing
    Participant

@MartynSinclair
    Indeed: It could be as simple as sending a text, after all they have the mobile phone #. I for one would certainly be more inclined to buy an upgrade if I got to know there was an opportunity this way. I never go to an upgrade desk or ask at the gate.

PerthWA
    Participant

Don’t bother asking in Singapore either as you’ll be quoted top rack rate at least that’s the case with good old Qantas and in Australia they just laugh….

RichHI1
    Participant

The only operational involuntary upgrade I ahve had from UK was Qantas Bus to First. If BA involuntary upgrades you from Coach to Business do you get stuck with (George Osborne’s nice little earner )the UKAPD at enhanced rate or is it waived as the upgrade is involuntary?

Matinée-Allstars
    Participant

The latest software release of the British Airways iPhone app has an “Upgrade Offer Available” option available on the “Your next flight” page (presumingly when available).

A very useful prompt….

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Martin, but once you are at the airport the “Upgrade Offer Available” is perhaps, not considered as an instant communication possibility.

The idea of an airline selling upgrades through Instant Messaging benefits the airline as there will be additional revenue (managed) rather than offering freebies and as far as the pax is concerned, I am sure an upgrade at an incentivised price is still considered as a treat.

Staff though still appear to be the worst at believing it is their G-d given right to be given an empty seat in a premium class (and yes I am ready for the bullets to be fired back)!!!

Binman62
    Participant

RichHI1……APD is only paid at the rate applicable to cabin booked and not the cabin flown. There must be no opportunity for the customer to receive a higher cabin based on the ticket purchased.

The SLS message (statistical Load Summary) breaks down the actual flown passengers by cabin and by class booked. If you check your own Executive club statement you will see clearly that there is a cabin flown code and the booked code (eg F/Z) flown F, on F booking class albeit air miles ticket. This would incur APD at higher rate. J/Y would not be liable for higher APD.

If you pay for an upgrade then the booking code and cabin change and you and BA are liable for the higher APD charge where applicable.

BA in the past paid the tax liability for their staff as it was cheaper than the administration costs incurred in trying to manage. Other carriers charge staff the APD applicable to the cabin they are entitled too and do not refund if upgrade does not take place.

RichHI1
    Participant

Binman thaks, I am AA not BA member and that shows class booked not class flown as mileage is accrued on mileage booked class. So upgrades on miles show as pre-upgraded class. Hence my question. I do not think AA are big on involuntary upgrades internationally as there are always reams of people trying to upgrade on mies or certs.
    Surprised UK government have not re classified WT+ as premium class.

craigwatson
    Participant

Rich – it already is. economy has one level of APD and Premuim economy, business, and first are all the same level for APD. So the question of what APD is paid is only applicable to WT to WTP upgrades.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 72 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls