BA to spend £7bm. What would you spend it on? Top 5.

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

• norbert2008
    Participant

Ideas, please maybe from your experience post covid or from way back when it really was the Worlds Favourite Airline.

1. 4 Class A380 to BKK daily
    2. UK call centre with option to discuss any problems including complaints
    3. New website with a old fashioned route map
    4. Dine on demand including 30 minute service at any time of the day
    5. Caviar course in First

2 users thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

From what I have been reading the £7 billion is largely to be invested into the fleet.

My view is BA need to invest in their employees and create a working atmosphere that makes employees want to come to work and present the company and services in a truly professional and pleasant manner.

@Norbet2008 – it’s not that I don’t dislike your top priority 🙂

4 users thanked author for this post.

LaWhore
    Participant

6. Stop the woke campaign.

norbert2008
    Participant

I agree Martyn, just kicking off ideas. The crew have mostly made all my flights on BA. My last flight full 12 row Club cabin to Rome evening flight, one of the best dinner services on a European leg, served drinks and then the meal all in first 30 minuets and I was in row 12. One crew member 20 years of service one 6 months, under his direction suburb service.

5 users thanked author for this post.

Nick Pike
    Participant

Not necessarily in order…

1. Proper business class seats on mid haul routes to (eg) Cairo and Amman;

2. Once lounges refurbished, provide a budget to ensure that they are maintained to a high standard;

3. Club Suite on Gatwick long haul;

4. Better selection in Club Kitchen

5. Lounge at London City (I know, not really in BA’s control..)

3 users thanked author for this post.

Olneyflyer
    Participant

My view is BA should simply get the basics right. Have a website and App which works would be the number one on my wish list. Improve the food selection so that it does not feel like we are flying on a budget airline but at premium prices. Replace the new uniform and revert to the old one which was significantly better in look and quality. Lastly manage delays and cancellations better. Better staff the airline so that cancellations are not due to staff shortages. This way we all experience what we paid for and get to our destinations with minimal disruptions. Only then should they turn to the true hard product such as seats and aircraft age and condition. All they need to do is look at Singapore Airlines, Emirates and Qatar for inspiration.

9 users thanked author for this post.

norbert2008
    Participant

Yes Nick, I so forgot Cairo, etc. cannot believe they are treating it as European Club. Last flew 747 with first to Cairo and 777 return.

Nogbad01
    Participant

1. Proper business class seats in CE (I know its a pipe dream)
    2. Do something about the totally non premium boarding and bus cattle market. Especially when travelling in J and F
    3. Re-open lounge at MAN
    4. Re-instate MAN-LGW flights
    5. More avios availability

Rferguson2
    Participant

I am not sure why my earlier post did not post, I will do my best to recreate it. And apologies if a very similar post appears later! 🙂

1. For me, the single biggest issue BA needs to tackle is its IT. It is way way behind the competition, has been responsible for numerous entire network meltdowns and the app functionality is so basic. I am lucky if it allows me to view my flight bookings!

Like them or loathe them I flew United a few weeks ago and missed a connection in Chicago (not UA’s fault). Their app functionality was INCREDIBLE. A huge amount of alternatives available that I could resolve myself. An excellent in-app live chat feature that had me connected with a real person within minutes who resolved my rather complex rebooking request in minutes. And I have zero status with UA/Star.

2. Airport staff training. BA may have the numbers for staff on the ground at LHR, what they lack is skilled staff. Through no fault of their own most of the majority of the ground staff at LHR have been trained to a level of queue combing, directing and basic check in. Anything complex and it is a palava.

3. The lounges need a total refresh. Anyone been to the ‘Terraces’ (yes it is THAT old) lounge at ORD? It is sad times when one prefers to use AA Lounges!

4. Ensure there is an actual BA staff member at each outstation where there are at least daily flights to oversee ops.

5. I generally find the onboard service/catering pretty good. Where BA falls down is inconsistency. You can have the best crew in the business or the worst. And a lot of this is down to a lack of performance management. People are shocked when I tell them that during the 20-odd years I worked for crew with BA I never once had an appraisal or review. I may have met my manager face to face twice, maybe three times.

8 users thanked author for this post.

esselle
    Participant

1. A complete overhaul of their IT systems so that they rival, or are better than, the best of their competitors.

2. Top down and bottom up, unfailing, culture of great customer service at every contact point.

3. Training all employees to be able to deliver 2 above (anybody remember Putting People First?)

4. Providing consistent hard and soft product. They don’t have to be the best, consistent will do for now, albeit recognising that the current hard product diversity will take longer to resolve.

5. Ditch the “aren’t we lovely” PR and social media stuff and concentrate of delivering points 1 to 4 above.

4 users thanked author for this post.

CheerUp
    Participant

1. Website
    2. App
    3. Customer Service
    4. Mid Haul J product
    5. LGW J Upgrade

FrequentTraveller
    Participant

I agree with an earlier comment that BA should be getting the basics right before anything else.

1. Get the majority of flights to depart on time. In a recent UK newspaper article, it was claimed BA are aware 80% of delays are due to themselves, not external factors. (This year I have only had three short flights depart within 15 minutes of their scheduled departure time. All the others have been at least 45 minutes late.)
    2. Stop sending pre-departure emails saying there are air traffic control restrictions in Europe today causing flight delays. We stopped believing you because (a) you always send that message whenever my flight is delayed at least 40 minutes from Heathrow (b) once on board the delay excuse given by the pilots never matches up.
    3. All UK airports served by BA should have a ticket desk to deal with same day cancellations, delays and rebooking.
    4. Sort out of the farce of short haul aircraft group number boarding. Where non-status passengers are bribed to check-in hand luggage at the gate in order get priority boarding.
    5. Refurbish the Heathrow T5A lounges. At the very least clean the dirt marks out of the carpet.

DannyBoy
    Participant

Back on the 21st November 2023, IAG held its first Capital Markets Day since COVID-19.

https://www.iairgroup.com/investors-and-shareholders/financial-reporting/capital-markets-day-2023/

Here’s the full slide deck.

https://www.iairgroup.com/media/acypd44m/iag-2023-cmd-consolidated-presentation_final.pdf

The BA specific slides are from 84 onwards. It’s very operationally focused but does confirm that the Club Suite will be on all Heathrow aircraft by the end of 2026. It also addresses many other issues raised above such as IT, customer service etc.

There is also an interesting chart on slide 92 which shows that the cause of nearly 3/4 of delays are internal to BA.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Montysaurus
    Participant

Reinstate the full call centre service to Newcastle. They were excellent and I say this not being a Geordie!

FDOS
    Participant

Severance pay for the senior execs 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls