BA to require ID on domestic flights from 1st Sep.

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

• Rferguson2
    Participant

I was travelling from Manchester to London last weekend and was surprised when the gate staff announced that passengers would have to present photo ID during boarding.

Well it seems this wasn’t a one off. BA has changed the wording regarding ID on domestic flights to:

You do not require a passport to travel within the UK, but you will need to carry one type of photographic ID when travelling with us. Examples include:

Valid passport
    Valid driving license [sic], either provisional or full
    Valid EU national identity card
    Valid armed forces identity card
    Valid police warrant card or badge

If you are flying solely within the UK, including Northern Ireland, you do not need a passport but we advise that you carry photographic identification with you when travelling, such as your passport or driving licence. This may be requested at certain points in your journey. Children under the age of 16 years do not require identification to travel within the UK.

There has been very little notice given of the change considering the new policy will commence in under a weeks time.

I can’t help but wonder what has prompted this change? Could there be a security issue that BA has been alerted to? Or, have they simply seen an increase in individuals using tickets booked in other peoples names?

I have always thought how easy it would be for me as a GCH to book a ticket for a friend to fly from LHR to MAN in my name and use First Wing, the lounge etc?

I have also thought of the glaring safety gap – a plane landing at LHR flying over the centre of London from EDI or GLA is of less risk than a plane landing at LHR from CDG/AMS from a 9/11 pov? It has always amazed me that in the event of an incident on a domestic flight – whether it be a terror related one or an accident – there is no way to verify the identity of those on board.

What I guess will be interesting to see is whether this new policy will actually be enforced on most BA flights or just there so they CAN enforce it in certain situations. This is very much the system in Australia when flying QANTAS domestically. QANTAS states on their website that photo ID must be carried on all domestic flights. However, I have never once been asked to produce it.

AlanOrton1
    Participant

Thank you for sharing.
    While slightly off topic, my understanding is in the US you have to present valid ID to a TSA agent to get airside.
    From my perspective it seems to make good sense to have to show ID to fly.

1 user thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

If you are flying solely within the UK, including Northern Ireland, you do not need a passport but we advise that you carry photographic identification with you when travelling, such as your passport or driving licence. This may be requested at certain points in your journey. Children under the age of 16 years do not require identification to travel within the UK.

So what would happen currently if you were not travelling without any photo ID and ID was requested at “certain point of the journey”?

Personally (and I fall into the category of not being concerned at showing photo ID at an airport) I cant see what the issue is and why anyone would wish to travel through an airport without carrying any photo ID.

esselle
    Participant

I agree Martin.

My drivers license lives in my wallet, and my wallet goes everywhere with me.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Nick Pike
    Participant

I must confess I was astonished that photo ID was not required by BA on domestic flights and, like the previous two posters, would never travel anywhere without it. I’ve noticed that Hilton hotels in the UK have recently started asking for photo ID on check in (previously a credit card was fine) and I wonder if this is linked.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

On a recent Birmingham to Aberdeen flight with Loganir ID, passport not necessary, was mandatory. I like many of you have no problem with that

ViajeroUK
    Participant

I recall about 20 odd years ago Tony Blair wanted to introduce UK ID cards, the idea unfortunately met with a lot of resistance, notably from Boris Johnson, and the plan was dropped. Photo ID is now required at Polling Stations which seemed to cause problems on the first occasion it was in use resulting in some lost votes. Maybe Tony Blair’s scheme needs revitalising?

FDOS
    Participant

In reality, this change only affects people not checking in baggage.

Photo ID has been required for that, for as long as I can remember.

Swissdiver
    Participant

In the post 9/11 era, it always surprises me when IDs are not checked at boarding, given the number of travellers for whom it is a first human point of contact (online check-in with no checked-in luggage – security does not check ID). It is still the case with some (I don’t this LX and LH do it for instance). That said, my ID card is anyway always with me when I leave home. So in my view, BA’s clarification is welcomed.

DavidSmith2
    Participant

I was a little surprised that this was not already the case, for reasons others have said. I think it has been required on most of the LCCs for many years (and caught a few people out). I have no objection to carrying photo ID but, as a non-driver, that basically means my passport. At the risk of provoking discussion, I do think there should be some form of voluntary ID card scheme, so that I don’t have to carry my passport everywhere I go. My wife is Slovenian, so it is enough for her to carry her national ID card in the UK. If that is lost, it is considerably easier to replace than a passport.

Nick Pike
    Participant

~A quick Google of “voluntary ID card “showed that there are at least two in the UK, the Citizencard and the Post Office Passcard, also issued by Citizencard. Whilst aimed at the youth market (in that their primary purpose is to prove age for entry to pubs and clubs) there seems to be no reason why they can’t be used for other ID purposes. Indeed, their acceptance as ID for UK domestic flights is listed as a benefit so presumably Easyjet and Ryanair already accept them. They cost £15, or £30 if you want them quickly

2 users thanked author for this post.

ASK1945
    Participant

As others have reported, I carry my driver’s licence most of the time.

However, I do have another UK valid photo ID card – my over-60s bus pass, which I carry when out walking on my own, in case of an accident or health emergency. I don’t usually take my driver’s licence as that is a much harder card to replace if lost or stolen from me.

I never understood the reluctance of the UK to introduce mandatory ID cards when three quarters of the population have driver’s licences and many of the others have photo ID bus passes anyway.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Rferguson2
    Participant

I must admit, when I take the train from MAN to LON for the day or overnight I take nothing but my phone with a physical credit card in the phone case. I don’t actually own a wallet anymore. On rare occasions where i’ve been unexpectedly asked for ID a photo of my passport has sufficed.

When I travel internationally I obviously travel with a little document wallet with passport etc. 🙂

AndrewinHK
    Participant

I would speculate this has something to do with the ‘Northern Ireland’ part of the statement. Given the open border with the Republic of Ireland, you could have security issues whereby individuals are flying into Ireland, then heading up to Belfast and flying into the U.K. mainland.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls