BA to open Galleries first class lounge at Singapore?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)

• Anonymous

SteveJohnsonIn0z
    Participant

Plenty of action in Singapore these days! Following yesterday’s revelation that Qantas will close its First Class lounge in SIngapore, the word is that BA will be opening its own first class lounge in Singapore!

http://www.ausbt.com.au/british-airways-to-open-galleries-terraces-first-lounge-at-singapore

Seems like BA will take over one of the two lounges which QF and BA currently share. QF will keep one as its business lounge, BA would renovate the other into a Galleries first class lounge.

Henkel.Trocken
    Participant

With SQ operating four services a day to LHR from SIN, soon to be all on the A380, BA are going to have to do something better than provide a new lounge and a second rate F cabin to keep a market share on this route without QF to help them.

I think I predicted a some time ago that QF would not stick by BA for very much longer, I will equally predict that BA have no viability as a stand alone on this route and we’ll see them withdraw in the face of a very low share of the market into Aus making their service financially unsustainable and SQ cleaning up the LHR – SIN point to point traffic.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Binman62
    Participant

For once we agree VK….very second rate. Cramped 14 seats versus 9 on most other true first class carriers, CX being they most notable. Indeed on many informed forums BAs First product is described as the worlds best business class. The New CX seat is light years ahead of BA first sea and service has always been.

EU_Flyer
    Participant

As much as I like BA, I think they’ve missed the mark with New First. Sure the blue light disco feature is nice, as are the quirky windows with electric shades, but in terms of space and exclusivity I haven’t found it to be a significant enough step up from J class on some carriers.

Sure CX J Class isn’t as fancy in terms of lighting and the general feel of the cabin, but space wise it’s comparable to NF without the pricetag.

The QF A380 F Class is great in terms of space. BA loses a worthy codeshare partner in that cabin. But I still prefer CW to the Skybed.

Hope the BA F lounge works out. It was the first thing I thought of when I heard about the JSA’s death.

Hippocampus
    Participant

It is complete and utter tosh to say BA will withdraw from the London-Singapore route.

If anything, it is prime candidate for the A380 and another frequency when Qantas stops flying London-Singapore.

Binman62
    Participant

The skybed suffers from the foot rest not being full supported when extended hence it is considered by many, including me of being still angled though not as bad as most slides. I do however like the 2x2x2 layout which eliminates the need to disturb other when getting in and out of your seat.
    Moreover qf service style is far better and I.have never been denied my meal choice on QF in business, something that BA does in First which is ludicrous.
    Ba product is ok but pricing is out of kilter so it foes not provide good value for money any more.

Henkel.Trocken
    Participant

“Hippocampus – 25/09/2012 21:47 GMT

It is complete and utter tosh to say BA will withdraw from the London-Singapore route.

If anything, it is prime candidate for the A380 and another frequency when Qantas stops flying London-Singapore.”

Ah, another revisionist in the making. I seem to remember post from earlier this year that dismissed the idea of BA ever sending an A380 to south east Asia at the same time as we were discussing a QF EK alliance that was never going to happen as the JSA was solid and had years to run.

I’d love to see BA put an A380 on LHR-SIN with their substandard first and tired business class operating a single daily service up against SQ with 4 x A380s a day, suites in first and a new C to come. I just wonder which one would grab the market share and be able to sustain the route.

VintageKrug
    Participant

I think it’s you who is the revisionist.

Indeed, for my part, I was flagging the stresses in the QF/BA relationship as far back as 2008, and was very surprised indeed the JSA was extended last time round:

http://www.businesstraveller.com/discussion/topic/British-Airways-Rumoured-to-be-Axing-Historic-London-Sydney-747-Route

Personally, I’d be sceptical BA would use an A380 down to Sydney, though I can certainly see it on the SIN/BKK sectors. I suppose it depends how many IAG end up ordering.

Henkel.Trocken
    Participant

Was my post directed at you Krug? I think not. Are you replying for Hippocampus?

Hippocampus
    Participant

What a shame to see a return of rude, bullying, adversarial, and aggressive postings on this forum.

I never said BA would not send a A380 to South East Asia. BA already competes with Singapore Airlines on the London-Singapore route. As I have said previously BA prefers to sell tickets for the two London-Singapore-Sydney legs rather than lower yield London-Sydney tickets. As anyone who has flown to Sydney on BA will testify a large proportion of the premium passengers are London-Singapore and Singapore-Sydney passengers.

This may come as a surprise to those who are blinded by their blatant anti-BA agenda but many actually prefer the more naturally personable and adaptable service of BA crew to the more controlled service of Singapore Airlines.

dutchyankee
    Participant

VK, I havent done new first yet, and hope to soon (I tend to only fly CW, but will try to upgrade my soon to be LHR-DFW sector to F, hopefully DFW have NF). The photo is excellent and showcases the new cabin in a brilliant way, so I hope to see it/experience it next week!

VintageKrug
    Participant

Hope you get NF, and do let us know how you get on – I haven’t tried it on a 747 yet (thwarted on four occasions in past six months!); it looks great, but general feedback is that it works best in the 777.

superchris
    Participant

slightly off topic I know, but how ridiculous is it than 3 years or so after its debut we are debating the ins and outs of a product which you are still not guaranteed to get??!!

I get the operational reasons why its taken a while but 3 years??!! i fear that in the time BA have installed this product they have been trumped again by other, more nimble carriers.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls