BA quietly brings fwd T5 to T3 route moves

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)

• DerekVH
    Participant

My comment was a bit tongue in cheek but BA’s web site still boasts First passengers have “access to luxurious lounges and spa treatments” – I would question this statement if travelling from T3 or LGW or many other airports for that matter. They might need to add “if travelling from T5 only”.

slotski
    Participant

I flew to BCN last weekend and used the CX 1st lounge, but briefly popped into the BA 1st lounge. Besides the lack of hot food and inferior views I prefer this BA lounge to the T5 GF. I found it cleaner and much quieter with plenty of staff to clear tables etc. To answer Stephenlondon’s question re CCR/1st area… Yes there is indeed a small sectioned off area at the far end of the lounge.

AviationGeek
    Participant

The F lounge in T3 does still have a dining area tucked away at the far end which certainly could work for pre- flight dining.
    Currently, with no BA flights with F departing from T3 this dining area is available for use at any time/ anyone (eligible) and I have found it comfortable and enjoyed the views from there.

While it’s no CCR it it is separated and could easily be managed as a “F only” dining section.

SimonS1
    Participant

@DerekVH – scroll down the same page to the bit about lounges and it states very clearly that CCR is exclusive to T5 and JFK T7 (as it does also on the lounges page). I don’t really understand what the problem is here.

http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/travel-classes/first/first

http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/lounges/first-lounges

dutchyankee
    Participant

@SimonS1

You’re absolutely right. However, the point is that at BA’s main base of operations, their most valued clients booking flights that have now been relegated to T3 will no longer have access to the CCR, which for many is an insult.

On the same page you linked it is stated that:

‘Wherever and whenever you fly First you can expect the same impeccable standards, access to exclusive lounges, top quality in-flight dining and premium service by our attentive crew, but a few of the cabin design elements may vary by aircraft,’ and we know that isn’t true either as plenty of posters have listed destinations without any lounges what so ever, so the fine print is not always accurate either.

However I agree fully that this is really a non-thread as it has been hashed over plenty before.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

SimonS1 – 02/10/2015 09:15 BST

Maybe the problem is an airline offering different levels of lounge access for the same product, in it’s main hub?

dutchyankee – 02/10/2015 09:28 BST

You make your point well.

SimonS1
    Participant

FDOS – that wasn’t my point. What I was highlighting was that it is clarified on the website page that Derek was referring to that CCR is only at T5 and JFK T7.

I’m afraid in an airline the size of BA there will never be complete consistency of service. We have this every time there is some form of change – the same people will find it an “insult” to be flying OF when NF is available on some routes, or from an airport where no lounge is available, or indeed an “insult” that the F lounge at Gatters is shut after the last flight with F has left. If it’s consistency you are looking for then BA is not for you.

All of which is thread creep from the OP which has been proven to be misleading.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Simons1

You write that “I’m afraid in an airline the size of BA there will never be complete consistency of service” and in other circumstances, I’d agree that this is part of travelling life. For example, the four different Club World seats across their fleet or when 3rd party lounges downroute are involved.

But if two people buy a first class ticket leaving from the main hub, surely they can expect to have access to lounges of equal standard?

SimonS1
    Participant

FDOS – in an ideal world – yes. However we don’t live in an ideal world. Airline travel is a competitive business and I wouldn’t expect BA to start putting up dedicated CCR lounges just for the sake of consistency. Particularly with all the uncertainties surrounding Heathrow and its expansion.

I think you can extrapolate that argument many ways anyway. For example if I am flying F from New York to London , at JFK I get CCR, at Newark I don’t. And if BA did it at LHR T3 then people would moan that Gatwick is also a hub so why not there. And if Gatwick is not the ‘main hub’ then similarly T3 is not the ‘main terminal’. And looking forward which destinations should qualify for a ‘Concorde Bar’ and why?

In this case I might understand if people were being misled but the website states the position on CCR very clearly.

The reality of life is there will always be differences in the offering. Bottom line therefore is that if having a CCR is the make or break on travelling with BA then they will need to sell the seat to someone else.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

SimonS1 – 02/10/2015 13:32 BST

If you buy a ticket to Newark, you know there is no CCR there and it is not BA’s main port of entry in to the US (although I prefer it to JFK.) LGW has always been the poor relation and the service offering there is not as good as LHR, but again this is widely known.

However, if one purchases an F ticket from LHR, it may be for a flight from T5 where there is a CCR, but which could then be transferred to T3, so this situation is different.

BA is coining it in at the moment and should provide a CCR in T3, if it is going to use the terminal interchangeably with T5.

SimonS1
    Participant

If you buy a ticket on a flight departing from T3 you know there is no CCR there either as it is clear from the website and I suspect most regular F travellers would be aware of that (as most people on here are). In any case I believe it is also made clear as a pop up when booking.

If your point is about paying for a F flight from T5 and then finding it switched to T3 I agree that’s unfortunate, however I find it hard to believe there are many such cases. The terminal changes were announced on 17th November last year and BA only sells tickets a year ahead. So at most there would have been a one month window in Oct/ Nov 2014 where this could have happened and as F cabins are small it’s not as if there will be dozens of people who have ‘lost’ their CCR access.

Life will go on, I’m sure.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

SimonS1 – 03/10/2015 09:40 BST

You win the Sgt Krug award for dogged defence of your point 😉

openfly
    Participant

@FDOS_UK

Well said!

openfly
    Participant

I have watched the comments flowing in by certain posters who know better than me and prefer to have the last word in pontificating that I am wrong, but, when I booked my flights a year ago I was informed that I would be using T5! The goal posts have been moved since……game, set and match!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@FDOS – is the loss of access to a CCR (admittedly, I have not seen the one on New York) a real game changer. In London, the only real benefit in T5 is you don’t have to schleep through the shops to get to a lounge.

In T3, can’t really see the absence of a CCR as a real loss. Apart from a slightly different range of food, its not really any different to the F lounge..

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls