BA plane lands in Edinburgh instead of Dusseldorf… by mistake

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)

• GivingupBA
    Participant

[quote quote=925002] And the in flight crew might have seen at least ONE boarding card with Dusseldorf on it. [/quote]

Presumably the cabin staff believed they were going to Dusseldorf, which was in line with what they saw on all the boarding passes. Every time I board they always check it carefully (I thought that was a requirement?)

But it’s baffling. The pilots MUST have known they were supposed to head for Dusseldorf – didn’t they realize something was amiss, as soon as they flew north? And why did they even land at Edinburgh?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

cant help but wonder, does EU261 apply?

it’s also interesting to see standard phraseology in every incident concerning aircraft reporting “our passengers safety is our primary concern, safety was never an issue” – Whilst the flight itself was otherwise uneventful, and passengers may have wondered whether it was an April fool (waiting for the Ryan adverts taking advantage of this) – it will be interesting if a report is published, especially how much fuel was uplifted. Flight time to Edinburgh is slightly longer than Dusseldorf. If the pilots used the previous days flight plan, presumably the weather was also the previous days.

I think this incident does raise safety issues, especially if the dates on the paperwork were the previous days.

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=925071]cant help but wonder, does EU261 apply?[/quote]

I think BA will have difficulty arguing that delay was exceptional. Other than exceptional stupidity.

It could be expensive as well, the aircraft was due to fly 4 sectors yesterday, three were between 4.5 and 5.5 hours late and the final leg was cancelled.

travelworld2
    Participant

EU 261 will definitely apply.

From the sound of it, everyone- aside from the passengers- thought they were going to Edinburgh. Baffling.

Inquisitive
    Participant

Funny not much discussion on the serious safety implications of this incident.
    Also what about the ATC that is supposed to keep on eye on the aircrafts under their jurisdiction?

capetonianm
    Participant

Budget airline Ryanair jokingly offered fellow carrier British Airways a “Geography for Dummies” book after it accidentally flew a plane to Scotland instead of Germany.

The Irish airline tweeted the quip on Monday, sharing an image of the book cover with the caption: “Hey British Airways, we have a present for you

TominScotland
    Participant

Ryanair’s tweet is a bit like the pot calling the kettle black, I think

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/4857962.stm

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=925148]Funny not much discussion on the serious safety implications of this incident.

Also what about the ATC that is supposed to keep on eye on the aircrafts under their jurisdiction?[/quote]

If the wrong flight plan was filed, why would it be anything to do with ATC?

pheighdough
    Participant

I agree with SimonS1. Nothing to do with ATC. The aircraft had a valid flight plan from London City to Edinburgh so the aircraft flew the expected route. The error may have been an incorrectly filed plan by the operator.
    No safety implications, all ops normal

MarcusGB
    Participant

On the front page of The Times…
    Says much of BA.
    The lax way that LCY staff behave, makes this no surprise either. 112 Passengers?
    Scan each boarding pass?
    Cabin crew check each bp?
    Cabin crew announcing flight’s time to…?
    Pilot’s announcement also?

Sounds like Very serious breaches of Security by all concerned, from Airport to on board. Whoever is concerned on ground or in the air, should be suspended pending investigations.

LCY is in a pitiful dirty run down state, in places filthy, bathrooms in a 3rd world state, overcrowded, underfunded, and just a cash cow for the owners.
    KLM queues i have been told can be 50 mins to check in (2 desks)
    No security checks or scanning of luggage being offloaded into the airport, Just an open belt to the outside.
    You can wait 40 mins for luggage.
    Currently with major building work going on, it is an absolute mess outside, and full airside.

1 user thanked author for this post.

TominScotland
    Participant

Marcus,

It clearly was a ‘c*ck up’ but I am not sure where the breach of security comes into it? I am sure all passengers went through normal security. Boarding passes are not checked on BA short-haul flights so how could cabin crew know?

I am not sure you can blame LCY, whether it is dirty or not, for this……

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=925278]The error may have been an incorrectly filed plan by the operator.[/quote]

The above makes sense, BUT… there must have been markers along the way…

1. pilots rostas – generally, their duty sheet would have said where they were going
    2. crew briefing – do pilots and cabin crew not speak before flights
    3. catering boxes – were they marked Edinburgh or Dusseldorf
    4. fuel upload calculation – will differ to Edinburgh/Dusseldorf
    5. I have never heard a pilots welcome which did not include destination airport
    6. clearly the gate personnel were aware of the destination (DUS) when the boarding passes were scanned at the gate

+ any other markers the Forum can think of…

All very strange and I am sure if the report is published it will be interesting reading…

1 user thanked author for this post.

Inquisitive
    Participant

I thought ATC will call the flight number and from/to during handover to one area to another?

Even if the flight plan shows London to Edinburgh, ATC surely would have notice that this is not a regular flight?

And pilot and BA flight tracking system? Dreaming?

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=925283]On the front page of The Times…

Says much of BA.

The lax way that LCY staff behave, makes this no surprise either. 112 Passengers?

Scan each boarding pass?

Cabin crew check each bp?

Cabin crew announcing flight’s time to…?

Pilot’s announcement also?

Sounds like Very serious breaches of Security by all concerned, from Airport to on board. Whoever is concerned on ground or in the air, should be suspended pending investigations.

LCY is in a pitiful dirty run down state, in places filthy, bathrooms in a 3rd world state, overcrowded, underfunded, and just a cash cow for the owners.

KLM queues i have been told can be 50 mins to check in (2 desks)

No security checks or scanning of luggage being offloaded into the airport, Just an open belt to the outside.

You can wait 40 mins for luggage.

Currently with major building work going on, it is an absolute mess outside, and full airside.[/quote]

How is it a breach of security? Careless yes, embarrassing yes, security risk no.

And what has KLM/state of LCY got to do with this.

Why does baggage being unloaded into the airport need to be scanned or checked. That would surely have happened when/where it originally went airside?

Stratocruiser
    Participant

Just been told by a neighbour who is a pilot that WDL stands for “We’re Damn Lost”

As somebody said earlier, did nobody realise that they hadn’t crossed any water before they landed ?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls