BA Pilots to be Given Silver Exec Cards?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 75 total)

• londonlad
    Participant

Binman

You are partially correct. Positioning crew have an 04 priority. This is because that crew member has to reach the destination or the return service will be cancelled. I’m sure you agree that is sensible.

This is duty travel and is to keep the operation running, very different from staff travel for personal reasons.

And I don’t see why BA staff should have to ‘defend’ their perks. It is the industry norm. Indeed companies such as Virgin get away with paying their staff less because the perks make the job worthwhile.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

“And I don’t see why BA staff should have to ‘defend’ their perks.”

Because we are stakeholders in your business. And we have a choice whom to fly with.

And we don’t like quite a bit about the way your company does things at the moment.

And your company is having to deeply discount fares at present, presumably because it needs to.

Of course, you are entirely at liberty to reject our feedback.

And we are entirely at liberty to choose another carrier.

It is going to be very bad for airlines in 2012, I hypothesise that airlines need all the customers they can find.

londonlad
    Participant

You are correct, but I don’t think it’s staff perks that should be the difference.

There are huge efforts underway to make the experience for passengers better. Pilots are undergoing a two day training course in preparation for making them a more visible part of the brand. Customers will be able to talk directly to the Captain in times of disruption. They will be far more visible.

In the cabin ipads will enable the crew to instantly see a customers history, their needs and tailor their service accordingly. Catering is improving, feedback IS being listened to.

Times are tough, but BA will aim to be the airline of choice, whilst admitting it has let standards slip over the last couple of years. Time to look to the future.

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

londonlad: You are now talking!

I might give BA long haul route to the Far East another chance in a few months AFTER I hear positive feedback from our British posters on the actual improvement.

BA might one day regain the position as the world’s favourate airlines!!!!!!!

londonlad
    Participant

Thats good to hear.

Changes are happening fast and under the new management i assure you they put the customer first.

BA has lots of competition but I’m confident the British sense of service from all employees, from Captain to check in staff will make the difference.

Expect to see Flight Crew in the cabin if there is a problem, the lounge if there is disruption, or even simply talking to passengers if there is turbulence or giving back skyflyer books… Time and work permitting of course!

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

“You are correct, but I don’t think it’s staff perks that should be the difference.”

Perceived staff treatment (note the word perceived) is one of many signals that suggest to some pax that BA is internally focused and has an arrogant attitude to it’s customers.

All the initiatives you mention are all very nice – let’s see them have some impact before getting too excited.

I wrote a complimentary review on seatplans, of a mixed fleet flight last week. If BA delivers, I will judge that fairly,

But there is a lot to do. I’ll be taking a NCW return trip soon, let’s see how that goes.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Slightly off thread but as you mentioned it londonlad

“Customers will be able to talk directly to the Captain in times of disruption. They will be far more visible”.

Last years snow disruption, passengers would have been glad to talk to anyone, never mind a Captain! Interesting that your colleagues need a 2 day training course teaching them how to speak to customers. Those that have in the past, have never had a problem, come to that neither have your F/O. Always very eloquent either standing at the front using the PA or at the aircraft door. I suppose that’s what you get these days for £150,000 pa

Staff perks – I’ve just asked my friend who is a senior manager at Rolls Royce cars what kind of perks he receives. He thought I was stark raving bonkers asking him the question.

I notice that more and more cabin crew/pilots are living overseas (Australian and S. Africa) and this is impacting on seat availability. To be honest I was astonished when pilot friends tell me they fly in on an overnight flight and then operate a longhaul.

There were also cases where crew are claiming “in transit” whilst they are in the UK in order to further screw HMRC (trying to claim non residency status).

On the one hand positioning crews claim business class and 2 days rest, then operating personnel fly in….and then out and try to claim “in transit”.

I suppose its good if you can get away with it, but personally, I prefer to see employees paying tax than trying to avoid it!

londonlad
    Participant

Dis

Thats really all we can do as an airline. The proof is in the pudding, I hope you find the changes to your liking.

The issue of staff travel is a red herring, believe me staff never benefit over a revenue customer. BA is a very different company now.

Martyn

I don’t think it’s fair to say pilots on £150k should not need a course. Since 2001 it has been very difficult to interact with customers for obvious reasons with the locked door. But management realise the power the flight crew can have in certain circumstances.

In terms of tax. Many flight and cabin crew live abroad. Many pay tax in their home countries. All crew are under an obligation to make sure they are fully rested before a duty. I don’t see that as a problem.

And I’ve written at length, pilots or cabin crew DO NOT affect your availability! They only get on the flight if there is a spare seat an hour before departure!

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

I didn’t want to say this earlier – I often find BA crew has an arrogant attitude towards it’s customers.

That MIGHT be fine if you are from a background like “To the manor born” but other that never display such attitude towards HIGH fare passengers!

The crew can start off with more hot towels!!

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

londonlad

I’ll report back afterwards.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

FC

The whole point of being ‘to the manor born’, is that one does not need to be arrogant, one has natural charm and authority 😉

Or so these type of people say.

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

You have many imposters in the cabin!!!!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I’m biting my tongues as I say this, but they’re not “to the manor born”, more like French waiters!

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

And many act like Primadonna in front of the passengers!

We are the one (high value fare paying passengers) are the one that should be pampered with!!!

CX and SQ cabin crew deliver this to their VVIP passengers at all times!!!

travelchamp
    Participant

Martyn Sinclair – you clearly have an agenda with relation to BA staff. Not quite sure what it is but some of your posts are way off the mark and very discourteous, especially when you don’t know facts.

Sad

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 75 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls