BA NO Food From 3/8/09

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)

• Anonymous

MarcusUK
    Participant

BYO!
    The article regarding the discontinuation of food on flights less than 2.5 hrs by BA…in economy, & even more reductions long haul Premium…

Tough times for all carriers admittedly, as well as BA’s overall decline of almost every aspect of service they provide.
    However, this will Knock their European business & leisure custom, significantly. BMI did the same, but now operate as a semi Low cost airline.
    Radio 4 this morning as reported also in the FT, state it starts next Monday 10am!
    “Canapes & chocolates will also be removed on Long haul flights”!

Complete rubbish that customers, “feel it is less important” to have a snack or sandwich after 10am. Flyiing from LHR, to say Lisbon, it would take me an overall 7-8 hrs door to door. The time to sit & work or relax have time out, is on the flight itself.
    Is it so much to provide a sandwich for the fares that are charged?
    Lufthansa , KLM etc still do, even if it is tailored to the time of day & not what it was.
    Another Nail in the coffin of BA, hardly a long term positive move from its senior Management, with nothing but financials in the narrow minded.
    Open Skies, has failed, Domestic, prime International & premium routes & Capacity are being removed. Staff turning to voluntary work, redundancies. Recent last few years of tents outside LHR as they are unable to run European flights when a security problem arises – but every other European Airline kept running. No food with Gate Gourmet (I witnessed a bottle of water, banana, one sandwich & an apple for the 13 hr flight LHR – SIN being handed out). There isn’t room for the BA Partners like Qantas at T5…hardly an integrated forward looking move, still need 2 hrs + to transfer at LHR!
    T 5 luggage problems, no room for partners like Qantas, so the “One world” remains “Remote world”.

If BA were a patient in a hospital, they would be in ITU, with multiple organ failure!
    The prognosis is poor. But then since Walsh arrived, he seems determined to turn off the ventilator of BA.
    He has failed, & no longer holds the respect of his staff teams, or his customers. He is destroying all that many people spent years to build up, from a significant worldwide reputation. He should be dismissed.

I have long not been a fan of BA, but then these declines of service, have not been matched by other Euro Airlines like LH, KLM etc.

Still, the industry has major challenges, & their are plenty other Airlines that will take up their business, as without doubt, customers will move their business accordingly.If BA were to cease trading tomrw, others would take up their capacity. There is plenty room for casualties in the current climate, plenty carriers waiting for such an opportunity. I feel very sad for all the BA staff who have worked so hard over many years.

Walsh should be removed, & a new approach & more realistic leadership appointed. His position surely has been untenable for some time, but his self worth & his arrogance enables him to blame others, never responsible himself for any failure!

continentalclub
    Participant

I hope that you don’t mind me pointing out that you’ve missed Swine Flu off your usual list of points in this post.

Or perhaps you too are having to effect cutbacks on your normal levels of service in these difficult times? If so, this inconsistency will surely lead to disaffection and migration towards other posters.

CMoir12
    Participant

Is it really a big deal? I personally don’t each the sandwiches on board as I normally eat in the lounge. I travel weekly, mostly in economy, on the LHR-TXL route. I always travelled BA but got fed up of the delays at LHR so moved to LH from City.
    LH’s service no way compares with BA. The ‘sandwich’ they give out is about 3 inches long. They also only serve beer or wine in economy – no spirits.
    I am now back flying with BA as their service has improved sibe T5 has opened. I am happy they are keeping the free drinks so that I can have my vodka and coke to relax on the flight!

VintageKrug
    Participant

*exits stage left and collapses of swine flu*

dutchyankee
    Participant

Right on Continental Club, but I best be careful as the last time I agreed with Vintage Krug, Mark suggested we get married, so I would hate to have the same occur this time, we haven’t even met!! As for Sandwiches/Meals on Shorthaul flights, I must say, it may seem like a cheap move, but to be fair to BA, they are one of the last of the majors to serve something to economy on such short routes. I fly Club inter Europe, and normally only from Brussels or Amsterdam to LHR to connect to long haul. The only time I eat the meal in Club is at Breakfast due to wanting to maximise my sleep before getting to the airport, so having Brekkie on board is a great time saver. Otherwise, I eat in the lounge or elsewhere before such a short flight. It is often ridficulous having to watch the crew on a fully loaded A321 serving a meal and clearing in less than 40 minutes. It is totally unnecessary. That said, I have to agree somewhat with Mark in that longer European Sectors such as Lisbon, Rome, Madrid, etc which fall just under the 2.5 hours flight time, adding the time to get to the airport, security, etc., a sandwich would probably be a welcome respite. But will this change stop me from flying BA, of course not. Every airline has to cope with this crisis, and whinging that the Management of BA are only thinking of Financials shows that Mark doesn’t quite grasp the severity of the economic Crisis the world is in, and that looking after a business’ financials is paramount to survival these days.

Airpocket
    Participant

I have a question…if BA do finally breathe one final dying gasp and then collapse in a pathetic heap does that mean we will stop hearing from Vintage Krug (seeing that he/she is BA’s de facto spokesperson/lickspittle on this website)? I mean, if there’s no BA, surely there’s no reason for Vintage Krug to exist?:o)

theworldtraveller
    Participant

It wont affect me either – the ‘free’ food is not great anyway and there are lots of great places to buy food in T5.

As long as they do not start charging for drinks, BA is still miles ahead most of the other shorthaul airlines and my first choice.

I think we need to remember one point – It’s ‘us’ that are not willing to pay as much to fly – hence the cut backs. There is no such thing as a free lunch hey!! (sorry!)

MarcusUK
    Participant

Seems the Swine flu will be rather better odds to recover from, than BA’s financial status or future survival!
    (There. that OK for you?!)

The Times also reports that BA have stated the 2nd meal service in premium classes, is to be abolished at the same time. U are invited to go select yr snack from the fridge. So, no breakfast or dinner depending if you fly East or west!
    But, am sure no one will mind or notice…!
    Lets hope the Law Lords rule for the Euthanasia clarification today… British Airways may be well advised to book themselves into a certain Swiss Clinic.

Best fly a different airline though, & don’ forget yr sandwich too. Dry ham is ok, No mayonnaise, salad or dresssing- too much liquid -they won’t get through security.

continentalclub
    Participant

Airpocket: in the event of your hoped-for demise of British Airways, a quick search would suggest that VintageKrug might have rather more to continue to contribute, than some others here present.

She would at least appear to be a multiple-trick pony….

flyingformiles
    Participant

Personally on S/H (for me mainly domestic) I never eat on the plane – I always eat in the airport or before I arrive. Even for a S/H in Europe I’d be more likely to purchase something in the terminal to eat on board.

What I do like on a flight is a nice cup of very strongly brewed tea and thankfully that is something BA will still deliver.

However, for my domestic flights (many of them) I fly with BMI, easyJet and BA depending on price and times. I have to buy a cup of tea with BMI and easyJet and never eat anything on board any (except the breakfast BA give you in the morning).

Erminia
    Participant

Erminia: In all honesty is it such a big deal that BA are no longer serving food on short haul flights. I would rather have no food and for BA to get back on an even keel and survive. I fly around the world on many airlines in all classes and believe me BA take a lot of beating when it comes to service etc. Perhaps they should start charging for food as do Iberia , and knowing the BA standards they would certainly be better.

RHMAngel
    Participant

I don’t have an issue here with no sandwich or what ever on anything less than 2 & half hours, what I do object to is, nothing at all… content, when the drinks are offered (like being in a bar), a packet of something, nuts, pretzels, crisps, bar of something (choco, health one) something that’s not difficult to store onboard or requires heating/cooling – when we get our drink.

But nothing at all would reduce my BA short-haul experience being no better than the budget airlines…that would depress me.

Some standards should remain – BA a ‘proper’ airline – so rather than trying to cut costs meaning bad headlines – I mean, will the fare reflect this £22m “saving” BA are hoping to make, or will this be at the customer’s expense….hmmmmm

flyingformiles
    Participant

RHMAngel, my understanding is the Y on less than 2.5 hours you will get a drink and a snack, which I agree with is acceptable on something of this duration.

theworldtraveller
    Participant

not sure why MarkRoberts9 is so enraged over what is just a free sandwich … from the amount your have written you seem to have a big problem with BA, for some reason.

I travelled Ryanair the other week with the family and got caught for £197 of excess luggage/golf clubs/other fees (with the baby) – just used the ba.com low cost airlines calculator and BA would have been way cheaper, with or without a sandwich.

No airline is perfect, but you know you know what you get with BA – no nasty suprises and a free drink

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls