BA new routes

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 75 total)

• IanFromHKG
    Participant

sparkyflyer – 28/08/2013 09:14 GMT: Ian -I think US Airways are moving to Oneworld now anyway, and have already announced this. BA served Charlotte years ago, and then in conjuction with US when they were their main partner.

They will only join oneworld if the merger with AA goes through, and with the US DoJ challenging the merger, that is now far from certain

dutchyankee
    Participant

And Ian, it seems the process will only really start as of march next year before the case is even heard, so quite some time before this is settled unfortunately.

sparkyflier
    Participant

I wonder how the Colombo route via Maldives is going, and if the traffic is proving enough to go standalone.

Or they could collaborate with future Oneworld carrier Sri Lankan.

Another option is the new Habnantota Airport in the south of the island, located very close to the most popular beaches and national parks, this might be a more logical tag from Male as it is purely a holiday destination, whereas Colombo is the capital and a business destination.

dutchyankee
    Participant

Hi SparkyFlyer, I would assume Colombo will go stand alone once Sri Lankan is on board, or if it is not performing well, it could be axed, and then a code share on Sri lankan`s own service.

dutchyankee
    Participant

Ian, I just read this which you might find interesting as well re: AA/US merger.

http://news.airwise.com/story/view/1377777829.html

rferguson
    Participant

Apparently the London – Singapore – Jakarta service is still awaiting regulatory approval. Perhaps the Indonesian authorities have had a change of heart since Garuda have seemingly pulled their plans to fly to the UK.

Saying that, awaiting regulatory approval seldom stops an airline from advertising a new route. There is usually a little asterisk there with the disclaimer ‘subject to regulatory approval’. I can’t get my head around why BA is taking so long in announcing it. I mean we are nearly in September and it is there in the crew bid list for November. Best get their skates on!

Bucksnet
    Participant

Now Malaysian is joining oneworld, BA should fly to KUL and connect to their flights. Also good for Australia.

BA744fan
    Participant

sparkyflyer – 27/08/2013 14:52 GMT

BA announced new service to Austin service today. Well predicted!

dutchyankee
    Participant

Hey Sparky, you were right!!!! Austin surprise me no end, but well done!!! Perhaps BA could use you in their route planning department!! For sure you would be more dynamic than the current team!

SimonS1
    Participant

SenatorGold – fully share your view of Lusaka. Great country and a favourite if mine on the Africa circuit.

The InterCon and the Pamodzi seem to be pretty good, sometimes a case of which has been refurbed more recently.

Are taxis more plentiful in the last couple of years?

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

Sadly trips to Lusaka will be with other airlines from S14,as BA appear to have pulled out.

sparkyflier
    Participant

FDOS where did you hear that from? If this is true, it is very sad indeed and hugely disapppinting.

SenatorGold
    Participant

@SimonS1

Yes I’m happy to report that taxis in Lusaka are plentiful these days. They have a rank outside the Intercon. I first went to Lusaka in September 1989 and they were hard to come by then.

The report that BA is to withdraw from the Lusaka service is sad news indeed. I know a number of Zambians who will miss it sorely. On my last trip in June on BA I sat next to one Zambian government official who told me “This is our airline!” He said it with affection. I guess BA now finds it hard to compete with Emirates daily service from Dubaii.

sparkyflier
    Participant

Or KLM via Amsterdam and indeed Ethiopean via Addis. I think the double whammy of BAs toughest rivals IMO KL and EK is something BA feel they cannot compete with.

This will really hit the robustly growing Zambian economy, especially on tourism.

They could easily have merged this with another route like Kigali, Dar, Harare or Maputo for example, but BA have demonstrated again that they are very inflexible and cannot adapt.

KLM is doing well on its LUN/HRE triangle route, with no historic connections with either country, yet BA is unable to.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 75 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls