BA new First a bit cramped on 747?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 104 total)

• IanFromHKG
    Participant

Sorry, NathanBAGold, sometimes we just follow where the thread leads us. You have my apologies for contributing to thread drift…

Back to the subject as you define it…

Comparing BA and CX First…

Hmmm. What’s the point? CX is so far ahead, you might as well compare BA domestic economy and – well, virtually any long-haul business

(Having lit blue touch-paper, stands wayyyyyyyy back..

LOL

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

I think possibly things started to digress when I started posting links to pictures of various F cabins showing different layouts and space. All were the latest products available. I think they all showed BA in a poor light.

CX is way ahead but F on the LH 748i is in the same league by the looks of things.

CXDiamond
    Participant

My goodness, the links posted do show how cramped BA first is in comparison to all others. It really is like business class in comparison to CX and LH. I know I’ve always found it cramped but never really looked at pictures before but the evidence is so clear.

Who was it who said that BA F was really a Premium Business product? Well, I’m not sure about the premium bit.

JohnHarper
    Participant

I must say I agree with this. First on BA is overcrowded when you look at any of the latest offerings from the competition. It’s amazing that they relaunched their F product with so little updating and the same configuration when others were already offering something so much better.

Perhaps they have something new for the A380 that they are keeping under wraps at the moment. Let’s hope so.

BusinessClass
    Participant

Having flown in F with both BA and CX recently, I actually prefer the BA seat, and I love the lighting and ambience of the NF BA cabin and think it is very stylish.
    The CX cabin looks rather dreary and dull. Yes, the CX seat is very wide (much wider than BA) but do I really need a seat that wide, and I found the seat rather uncomfortable. After looking forward to my first CX F flight, I have to say I was rather underwhelmed!

IanFromHKG
    Participant

BusinessClass, I am surprised – to each their own, though! I agree the width of the CX seat is rather otiose when you are sitting (but then a large panel on the aisle side folds down to produce an extra armrest, effectively narrowing the seat so you can comfortably use armrests both sides), but when you want to sleep the extra space is wonderful.

I think the environment in CX First is rather like the CX lounge style – rather minimalist, and calming. Suits some, doesn’t suit others.

JohnHarper
    Participant

It is indeed each to their own. CX F and BA F are two completely different products. CX F is exceptional in all regards, BA F is overcrowded with to many variations including food and crew.

Biztraveller74
    Participant

Hi FrequentTravellers,
    So much passion and opinions here, I do not think anyone is wrong here, but we owe to accept that there are several configurations in F and C, all used by people of different weight, height, body shapes, taste so the bottom line is if a product does not please you, walk away from it. If everyone does that, the airline in question will simply have to change or die. I use C and F on BA long hauls, and honestly, I do not find it the best, but it gets me where I need, with relative comfort compared to flying Y of any airline( hence the reason for paying C or F).
    I think so far, the success of BA C and F( always full) seems not to justify they make any changes, untill competitions is so much ahead and offer overall better experience( includes timing, frequency,…) that from an economy 101 they have to redesign.
    Look at Air France or KLM their C is rather poor, not so busy, they have no choice but redesign as they really lag behind….but they really lag behind.
    Overall, BA is certainly not the best, but overall, compared tobyhebpck of similar airlines, they are in the front pack.

Binman62
    Participant

Nose of 747
    BA 14 seat in F
    QF 14 seats in J

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Rachid, welcome to the forum!! 🙂 Great post BTW. Its no point arguing with this lot when it comes to BA. I dont loose sleep over it because as far as i am cooncerned flying on a plane is nothing more than public transport just like a train or bus just in the sky. You will discuss BA on here more than any other subject. You can start non related subject and still end up talking about BA and comparing them to the world. BA will never get anything right unless they gave the cynics on this forum what they wanted and the way some of this lot go on you would swear BA breaks international laws, crimes againts humanity. I am sure they can even argue that BA even caused the world financial crisis…lol 🙂 I would love to see some of this lot run an airline, i doubt most even have the balls..lol :). To this day i am amazed how the BA is still in business, but then again dont be surprised if they went out of business in the next few years or even by morning. Like mny have said before this subject has been “flogged to death” New First V all the worlds airlines first class and yet they still bring it to the front ..probably because peeps havent got nothing better to do and just fancy an argument for no real reason.. Also dont try and ever praise or be “appologetic” to the airline in any way shape or form because you will get accused of being all sorts..lol :O) xx

EDITED: 18/6/2012 @16:33

CXDiamond
    Participant

Rachid: it depends what you class as similar. BA may measure up well on some fronts to AF/KLM but AF have never had standards to aspire to. KLM offer very good service though the hard product is dated.

BA ought to be up there with the best there is but they are not. They lack aspiration and as has been said many times before, reach for the ceiling, not the sky.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

CXDiamond you are right in principle however i suspect the only reason BA dont go the same way as the leading airlines is that they dont have the money to do it or even if they did for instance cut back the number of seats in the cabin would result in less upgrade chances and the cost of the tickets would probably go sky high (higher than they are now,.. we pay enough as it is for all sorts of stuff in the UK as it is). I dont mean to be appologetic but looking at it from another view. Perhaps VintageKrug can confirm why this is the case?

CXDiamond
    Participant

My goodness, I’m flattered by the affirmation above however the day I need to be told I’m right by BeckyBoop is the day when I will retire.

Less upgrades on BA would be a good thing. F should be reserved to people who pay for it.

Oh and to do as your mentor VintageKrug would do, it’s apologetic.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Are you telling me if BA halved the number of seats in F and made the seats bigger double the price of the ticket you would get value? the cheapest cost in F to HKG is just over £5k…………. but £10K???

BTW do you pay for tickets in First for holidays out of your own pocket?

Biztraveller74
    Participant

I have to say that if BA is indeed offering free upgrade to F (just got one few weeks ago from DXB from C class as Gold EC), then indeed there might be a problem. However, I look at hard figures, BA is doing better financially, now at least, than its european.
    I wonder if this airline business in a way is cyclical in terms of who is in the front of the front pack. BA when deployed their Fully flat bed, SQ now, AF/KLM tomorrow? Those investments to upgrade a cabin seem so costly, they have to generate relevant ROI before changing perhaps?

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 104 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls