BA Mixed Fleet vote on strike action

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 127 total)

• rferguson
    Participant

Rockhopper is correct. On Mixed Fleet routes only.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Some friends of ours arrived from LHR yesterday having flown BA first. The first class cabin was apparently staffed by staff from the offices and there was no food. It seems no one minded as they had all eaten well in the lounge and the attention they received was better than usual!

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Rockhopper, you have to be kidding? (Fake news). If not and this is the case it really makes you wonder which set of brain cells at BA decided on that. When First Class passengers suffer the penny pinching the lunatics are indeed running the asylum.

Apparently it was true. Brain cells? Isn’t that being a little generous?

Just looking at the screens in T5 and Thomson is operating BA792 to Gothenburg. At least their BoB kit is reliable and all their crew are used to using it – it might be an improvement, if BA manage to load any carts 😉

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=785968]Some friends of ours arrived from LHR yesterday having flown BA first. The first class cabin was apparently staffed by staff from the offices and there was no food. It seems no one minded as they had all eaten well in the lounge and the attention they received was better than usual!

[/quote]

LP – no food in F? Was that to South Africa?

Cloud-9
    Participant

F passengers were served J food: unable to load F meals!

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Next round of Mixed Fleet strikes will be February 5,6 and 7 plus February 9,10 and 11.

greyhawkgeoff
    Participant

I do fear for the Mixed Fleet membership who choose to strike, as their union’s tactics seem doomed to eventual failure – 1 they are but a small part of the total cabin crew numbers, 2 only a small minority part of the Unite membership in Mixed Fleet actually withdraw their labor, for whatever reason – affordability, agreement with the action or personal beliefs etc….. come to mind. 3 BA historically seem willing to fight their corner to the best way they know and the long running cabin crew saga of was it 2010 or so shows their resolve. 4 BA have reached an agreement with other groups of union members, to give Mixed Fleet ‘more’ would require a further benefit offer to those other groups or to face a trickle of sympathy actions to get another few % for a much larger number of employees.
    But most telling to me is that Mixed Fleet are striking during the months when BA are not flying their fullest and most profitable schedules i.e. the summer. The BA capacity in January is a whopping 14% smaller than in July, and I bet that almost all of us have had a BA flight cut/combined or rescheduled in the winter months before Easter as they managed their capacity down against demand from the original timetable. In a certain way BA can afford to fly less but with fuller planes, the reputational damage is being managed by getting people away at worst by rescheduling.
    Mixed Fleet are going to have to push on for a long time to inflict much pain on BA, and by the time they realise this they may not have many active Unite members left.

Flightlevel
    Participant

Yes sad for them and cutting capacity is easy now, it increases yield and profits. Only one flt to Hkg now and it seems the union helps management by threatening strikes at quiet times?

Travellator
    Participant

Since when only one HKG ?

TominScotland
    Participant

Flightlevel – are you sure that the absence of BA27/ BA28 for 4 days at the end of January is not related to the Chinese New Year holiday lull in traffic, in which case it was probably planned well in advance? Prices from 1st February are very, very high, suggesting a post-holiday return to work/ home.

Atraveller
    Participant

I for one would not like to fly on a BA flight and be in an emergency situation with office staff manning the aircraft. Also, most of the time they have the personality of office clerks. There is no doubt many crew are striking and many flights are being cancelled as the departure boards indicate. British Airways is pushing it with this strike… and to think – most of the poor attendants are probably getting more on legal strike pay.

Intheair
    Blocked

Atraveller

Do you happen to work for BA by any chance?

Atraveller
    Participant

Why? Because I value safety & getting my money’s worth in Club? Not at all.

penfold69
    Participant

Looks like the latest upcoming strike will have a bigger impact than the previous one. Direct San Jose flight on the 19/02 has been cancelled, as well as at least one EDI/LHR on the 19th. Cancelled on the 14th Feb and we only noticed by chance today when viewing booking online. No notification from BA. I understand these things happen, and not too concerned as re-booked to SFO, but pretty poor there has been no notification. If we hadn’t of noticed, and wanted to check in at the airport, we would have missed the rebooked EDI/LHR flight as it left earlier than the original.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

New strike dates announced

British Airways cabin crew to stage four-day strike

BA comment

“As on the previous dates when Unite called strikes of Mixed Fleet cabin crew, we will fly all our customers to their destinations.
    Strike action is completely unnecessary. We had reached a deal on pay, which Unite’s national officers agreed was acceptable. We urge Unite to put the pay proposals to a vote of their members.”

British Airways cabin crew to go on four-day pay strike from June 16

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 127 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls