BA Mixed Fleet vote on strike action

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 127 total)

• TCSH11
    Participant

Thousands of cabin crew working for British Airways ‘Mixed Fleet’ will begin voting on strike action next Wednesday (November 16) in a dispute over ‘poverty’ pay levels which are leading to crew sleeping in their cars between shifts.

The ballot of members of Unite working on a combination of long and short haul flights from London Heathrow airport closes on Wednesday (December 14). It comes after crew rejected a 2 per cent pay offer by the airline and on-board customer service managers fight for the right to collectively bargain after six years of no pay rises.

Since 2010 all British Airways new cabin crew employees join what is called ‘Mixed Fleet’, where despite promises that pay would be 10 per cent above the market rate, basic pay starts at just £12,000 and average pay packets including allowances total just £16,000 a year.

A recent Unite survey lifted the lid on the toll ‘poverty pay’ was having on crew at the airline, with some members reporting doing two to three jobs on their days off to make ends meet, or sleeping in their cars between shifts because they can’t afford the petrol to drive home.

“It should be to the company’s eternal shame that they, the UK’s national carrier, are making billions while their cabin crew responsible for maintaining a safe environment are working while sick and without adequate rest.

“BA’s bosses, City investors and shareholders need to wake up to the anger brewing before Willie Walsh becomes known as the Philip Green of the skies.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

sparkyflier
    Participant

Good luck to them..these are very stingy wages for what is a very gruelling job. Willie Walsh got a huge pay rise last year and so if he can get one why cant they?

BA/IAG seems to pride themselves that they pay average/industry norm wages, but maybe as substantial shareholders Qatar Airways coming from I have read almost a slave state maybe they think they are being generous?

Even a 10% rise in wages would hardly dent IAG profits and these staff would feel slightly more valued and have more peace of mind.

MrMichael
    Participant

I too hope that BA will pay a decent wage. The amount they are paying is derisory, and if the stories of crew sleeping in cars because they cannot afford the petrol to get home is true then it is also dangerous. I guess BOB if say a 10% commission is paid will give them something too.

Yes, I am firmly on the crews side on this.

canucklad
    Participant

As about inevitable as the sun rising everyday.
    If you decide to run a pyramidal company structure with an inherent culture of greed at the top levels,you ultimately gamble that your base will remain compliant out of fear.
    When that base realises they comparatively have little to lose, that fear changes to bravado.
    Wonder what the shareholders are thinking about the brilliant executive team at BA/IAG now.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

I too hope that BA will pay a decent wage

Really?

The low salaries are one of the reasons that BA is making the profits you like.

You can’t have it both ways.

The reason Willie Walsh enjoys a very large salary is the belief that he would be difficult to replace, unlike the mixed fleet crew.

A potential strike is another reason to avoid this shoddy airline.

canucklad
    Participant

And there’s the rub FDOS….
    I suspect that there won’t be a conciliatory conclusion if they do strike.
    Quite convinced that Mr Walsh’s bolshie and belligerent behaviour will turn this into another bitter and divisive dispute.
    As the mixed population have nothing to lose, you have to wonder what IAG and WW in particular have to lose.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

BASSA v Walsh.

Not much milk of human kindness in evidence.

MrMichael
    Participant

Your right FDOS, one of the reasons BA is so profitable is strict control on costs, including salarys. That does not mean I as a shareholder believe that treating staff in a shoddy manner is the right thing to do. I am an absolute advocate for paying a fair day’s pay for a fair day’s work. Paying people so little that the pressure on them causes difficulty to them to the extent their lifestyle becomes dangerous will one day cause an accident. I recall a case of pilots on a US regional airline pretty much living in airport restrooms because they could not afford digs. That ended up in a crash due to fatigue. I don’t want the same for BA, not as a passenger, not as a shareholder and not as a decent human being. I own shares in a number of company’s, I do not necessarily believe in everything they may do. In this instance I consider BA should pay them as promised (21-25k) and not expect them to live on 16k. Do I support BA being cost conscious on other things in their “race to the bottom”, yes I do. Paying staff a decent wage may have an impact on the bottom line, but an accident could have a bigger one. Pay them, and I am willing to see a reduction in the value of BA to do the decent and humane thing. If staff strike over this, I will support them, their demands are wholly reasonable.

transtraxman
    Participant

+1

However, if the target is a 15% return on capital I do not see WW taking any notice of these comments.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=774090]Your right FDOS, one of the reasons BA is so profitable is strict control on costs, including salarys. That does not mean I as a shareholder believe that treating staff in a shoddy manner is the right thing to do. [/quote]

The cost control on salaries extends across all departments of the business, not just cabin crew and the rate Mixed Fleet is on is broadly in line with industry norms.

So would you also increase the salaries of other employees?

If so, what do you think that will do to your dividends?

MrMichael
    Participant

@FDOS. As I said, everybody should be paid a fair days pay for a fair day’s work. If BA are competitive on salarys with other airlines then the same applies to the other airlines. If BA have a problem with crew having to sleep in their cars then others will too. This ultimately boils down to pressure on pricing. As jo public demands lower and lower prices on everything from air travel to milk and clothes businesses have to cut costs (often salarys) to stay in business and stay competitive. It is obvious to me that with the great majority of BA crew being based at LHR it is clear on those salarys people cannot live in the area they are based. The likes of Easyjet/Ryanair/Flybe have that as less of a problem.

From what I am reading BA are promising a salary in the 21-25k region but only paying 16. That’s wrong…nothing better than lying to get people in the door. No better than a double glazing company promising salespeople the world but making it impossible to get there. If someone applying is told the salary is 16k, they cannot complain when they get 16k. If told they will get 21 they have every right to complain and strike if they only get 16 or even 18 or even 20. If the deal is 21 then 21 they should get.

Should they increase the pay of other staff, yes if they have promised one thing and done another. All staff should be paid in accordance with (in my view) the living wage, and what is promised at the outset. If a business is unable to do that, it is an unviable business. I don’t believe BA is unviable at this point, but believe me I would sell my shares like a shot if any inckling that staff in masses are being lied to about the salary they can expect to earn. I hope cabin crew salary is an isolated case and I hope BA does the decent thing. If it fails to do so then I promise you now, I will sell my shares if what I read is factual. I must say BAE & Xerox are looking attractive to me right now.

TCSH11
    Participant

[quote quote=774068]

Really?

The reason Willie Walsh enjoys a very large salary is the belief that he would be difficult to replace, unlike the mixed fleet crew.

[/quote]

TRUST YOU TO BE THE ONLY POSTER SO FAR TO POST A MISRABLE POSTING.

TCSH11
    Participant

[quote quote=774126]@FDOS. As I said, everybody should be paid a fair days pay for a fair day’s work. If BA are competitive on salarys with other airlines then the same applies to the other airlines. If BA have a problem with crew having to sleep in their cars then others will too. This ultimately boils down to pressure on pricing. As jo public demands lower and lower prices on everything from air travel to milk and clothes businesses have to cut costs (often salarys) to stay in business and stay competitive. It is obvious to me that with the great majority of BA crew being based at LHR it is clear on those salarys people cannot live in the area they are based. The likes of Easyjet/Ryanair/Flybe have that as less of a problem.

From what I am reading BA are promising a salary in the 21-25k region but only paying 16. That’s wrong…nothing better than lying to get people in the door. No better than a double glazing company promising salespeople the world but making it impossible to get there. If someone applying is told the salary is 16k, they cannot complain when they get 16k. If told they will get 21 they have every right to complain and strike if they only get 16 or even 18 or even 20. If the deal is 21 then 21 they should get.

Should they increase the pay of other staff, yes if they have promised one thing and done another. All staff should be paid in accordance with (in my view) the living wage, and what is promised at the outset. If a business is unable to do that, it is an unviable business. I don’t believe BA is unviable at this point, but believe me I would sell my shares like a shot if any inckling that staff in masses are being lied to about the salary they can expect to earn. I hope cabin crew salary is an isolated case and I hope BA does the decent thing. If it fails to do so then I promise you now, I will sell my shares if what I read is factual. I must say BAE & Xerox are looking attractive to me right now.

[/quote]

Very well put across. Thank you

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=774147]

Really?

TRUST YOU TO BE THE ONLY POSTER SO FAR TO POST A MISRABLE POSTING.

[/quote]

This is a miserable affair – an employer that seems happy to pay wages that guarantee a relatively high churn rate of cabin crew and live with the consequences.

Maybe if you thought a little more and spent less time on the ad hominems, you might understand what is happening?

No good will come out of this threatened strike.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 127 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls