BA Lounge at London City LCY

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

• Nick
    Participant

Technically you don’t even need to do self-assessment to claim tax relief on unclaimed/unpaid allowed work expenses. If it’s under £2500, you can do it online, or by post with form P87. Only complex or big claims need to be done with self assessment. Info and link to the online claim at https://www.gov.uk/tax-relief-for-employees

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=989111]PS. Replying to my own comment, remember that if you pay the £95 on a work trip, you can claim tax relief on the £95 via your self assessment return under ‘business expenses you incurred personally and did not reclaim from your employer’ (it isn’t called that, obviously).

The same goes if you use your own money to upgrade a work flight.[/quote]

I am not an accountant, but consider the “wholly, exclusively and necessarily” definition for the employed against the “wholly and necessarily” rule for the self employed.

EasternPedlar
    Participant

Many, many thanks for the responses. There is indeed no lounge, but BA check-in closes just 20 minutes before flight departure, so one doesn’t need to hang around the airport for hours before one’s flight. The lounge isn’t that important, then. I didn’t cut it that fine, and had time for a coffee at Costa in the Tube station. There were no queues at security, and there was none of the surliness that one sees at Heathrow, so I was pretty happy with my airport experience. The BA staffer who checked me in said that there was some talk of a lounge being built during the expansion, but that could take a couple of years to happen. The time between push-back and departure and was amazingly short!

Incidentally, BA use an Embraer 190 on the LCY-LIN sector, and there was no food for sale on board. Just a complimentary bag of crisps and a drink. I made up for that with a nice lunch in Milan!

LondonAndy70
    Participant

[postquote quote=988868][/postquote]

I don’t think it’s disgraceful at all – given that, in more normal times, you can arrive 20 minutes before a flight departs then there really is no need for a lounge. There are so many status passengers travelling through there that it would be rammed if there was one. That’s why I often fly out of LHR (for the CCR) and back into LCY (which is closer to home).

SimonS1
    Participant

I would be surprised if the New York “Babybus” service returns to LCY, in which case that issue will resolve itself.

For other flights, time will tell. I doubt post coronavirus that a 20 min check in will work, but with money tight I can’t see BA funding a lounge in the near future either. Good news for the overpriced catering outlets of LCY…..

openfly
    Participant

Have you tried arriving at LCY 20 mins before your flight? Bet you missed it by 30 mins due to security! Out from LHR Concorde Room and back into LCY….an interesting concept!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1000740]ut from LHR Concorde Room and back into LCY….an interesting concept![/quote]

the other advantage of coming back into LCY is flight times from Europe generally up to 30 minutes quicker than into LHR and with hand baggage you can be out of the airport and on public transport in 10 minutes.

There is a lounge at LCY, however, it is not a BA lounge and you have to pay for your own drinks and food & it gets crowded as all passengers are entitled to use it.. 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls