BA Lounge at London City LCY

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

• EasternPedlar
    Participant

A quick question of the seasoned travellers on here – is there a BA lounge at LCY where I could get some breakfast before taking a morning flight to Milan ? I’m flying in Economy, but my Gold card should get me into a lounge – that is, if BA have one.

As an alternative, I have a Priority Pass card as well. Would that serve me any better ?

Many thanks for any advice. I normally use Heathrow and Gatwick, and know nothing about the other London airports.

Swissdiver
    Participant

No BA lounge at City, and actually I thing no lounge at all…

1 user thanked author for this post.

nibbler
    Participant

there is a pay to enter lounge – it is/was 95 a pop – https://www.headforpoints.com/2016/11/07/review-london-city-airport-first-class-lounge-jet-centre/

openfly
    Participant

BAs third busiest airport….and no lounge! Disgraceful…..

esselle
    Participant

[postquote quote=988868][/postquote]

No space for a lounge, let alone a BA lounge. May change when the redevelopment eventually happens.

Swissdiver
    Participant

[postquote quote=988865][/postquote]

Actually this is not totally true. It seems there is one lounge: “The BA Club lounge is only available to passengers travelling from London City Airport to New York JFK.”

But there is no fast track for business class passengers… https://www.businesstraveller.com/forums/topic/fast-track-access-with-ba/

esselle
    Participant

[postquote quote=988873][/postquote]

Precisely. No BA lounge. Just a “lounge service” at the JFK departure gate. And so to reply to the OP, there is no BA lounge at LCY, so you will not get your breakfast before your flight.

Nick
    Participant

BA services from LCY generally only do priority boarding for Golds, as if they included Silver too there’d be no-one left in the normal queue! It’s a seriously status-heavy airport.

Unless you’re on the JFK “babybus” service, there’s no BA lounge. That used to have a little lounge spread put out at the gate, but IIRC these days it’s now a restaurant credit instead because they can’t dedicate the gate area for 2 hours any more.

No Priority Pass lounge either. Your only option is to pay for the Private Jet Terminal lounge, or just visit a cafe or restaurant and pay normally

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=988876][/postquote]

There is no lounge for the Babybus either. However if flying on BA1 you can get a free meal in Pilot’s Bar & Kitchen.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

LCY is quite a unique airport. There may be no lounge, it may be overcrowded, but generally its quick to get through and best of all inbound flights from Europe have anything up to 40 minute shorter flight time than going into Heathrow during rush hour and less departure delays..

No lounge can be disappointing but it has other advantages….

2 users thanked author for this post.

nevereconomy
    Participant

Oddly enough I often just sit in the terminal, even though I normally have lounge access from class of travel. The movement out there is interesting and the general populace often far less irritating than the lounge lizards.

Bullfrog
    Participant

I’ve just flown on BA1 to JFK, which I’ve done a few times before. It was a delight. There were only 13 of us on board, out of 32 seats. I arrived at City Airport at 08,15, straight through security, enjoyed a tasty breakfast c/o BA, & flight boarded at 09,35. We cleared US immigration and were airborne for JFK within the hour. Arriving was a breeze.

Even using LCY for other BA destinations which are all in Europe, unless there is a delay to the flight I think a lounge is unnecessary.

StephenLondon
    Participant

I’ve used the private jet terminal lounge once, and it was very nice. If you are checking in bags with BA, there is a hiccup as BA won’t accept luggage from the private lounge, you have to go to the main terminal first (which rather destroys the experience). Flying Swiss, however, you can go right to the private jet terminal lounge. They take you to the plane about five minutes before boarding starts, so you are boarded just before and can settle in. Breakfast was a continental offering, but high end. There was a also a good selection of newspapers and magazines, pristine lavatories and a fast and efficiant security check.

Last year, when LCY unveiled the rebuilding plans for the new and improved airport, I believe they had a number of lounges marked for airlines. The old Gate 24 Lounge was fine for BA001/BA003, but not really essential. I find it easier to grab a coffee from one of the outlets and make my way down to gate 4 or 5, where there is ample space to sit, plenty of charging points for phone/laptop and nice runway views to boot!

Raffles99
    Participant

I strongly recommend paying the £95 (and have paid it myself, even though our original review was on a freebie). If nothing else, if you bill your time by the hour then you’re probably making a profit by forking out for this and being able to do some work until departure.

When I was last there with my two little kids, the staff let my children have a tour of one of the private jets parked outside the lounge. The adults were not allowed though!

Raffles99
    Participant

PS. Replying to my own comment, remember that if you pay the £95 on a work trip, you can claim tax relief on the £95 via your self assessment return under ‘business expenses you incurred personally and did not reclaim from your employer’ (it isn’t called that, obviously).

The same goes if you use your own money to upgrade a work flight.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls