BA Lounge Access for Silver Holders

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

• Anonymous

CityRiskBoy
    Participant

Am I right in saying to any BA boffs out there that if you are a silver exec club member you can use the BA lounges and also invite a guest to join you?

VintageKrug
    Participant

Yes, yes.

Even when flying economy.

Only exception (sometimes) is if the lounge is not a “proper” BA Galleries/Terraces lounge e.g. is a third party lounge.

NTarrant
    Participant

Yes.

CityRiskBoy
    Participant

Thought so….just need confirmation. thanks

VintageKrug
    Participant

Here is the info…on the BA website. Who knew…?!!

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/silver-membership/public/en_gb

IanFromHKG
    Participant

VK, are you sure that the access isn’t available when it is a third party lounge? THe website you referenced implies otherwise:

You can enjoy access to the comfort and facilities of over 60 dedicated British Airways lounges, and through our partners at over 90 additional lounges worldwide …British Airways lounges include the First, Galleries, Terraces and Executive Club lounges operated by, or on behalf of British Airways and the oneworld® partners and airport authority or other airline owned lounges.

VintageKrug
    Participant

My “exception” relates primarily to the “and invite a guest” bit in the OP.

You are correct that the vast majority of third party lounges accept Silvers, very many will allow a guest, but there will be times when capacity, a poorly informed lounge dragon or other issues (e.g. use of a temporary lounge) when this won’t be the case.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

To VK’s carve-out regarding ill-informed lounge dragons, I suggest to all readers that they take a copy of the lounge access policies with them – I certainly do this, and although it is not something I have often had to resort to there have been one or two occasions when I have done so.

Str8Talking
    Participant

I have to say, I’ve never had a problem with guests in a third party lounge – I can think of at least three different airports where this was the case. I do however find that in most of these cases, entry requires a separate invitation that check in staff provide, who in some cases can indeed be ill-informed!

IanFromHKG
    Participant

You make a good point, Str8Talking, and I would add that in my experience it is often much easier (at least as a top-tier member!) to get dispensation for extra guests from check-in staff than it is from “lounge dragons”. Quite apart from anything else, you get the chance to “double-dip” – if the check-in staff say no, you can still try your luck at the lounge!

VintageKrug
    Participant

I’d cite the example of the (now discontinued route) Sharm El Sheikh lounge, where I wasn’t able to bring a guest in despite being Gold.

It was a pretty poor show, and miles from the gate, so fellow traveller wasn’t missing much.

But it’s often those new-ish routes with third party lounges and no strong relationship with BA who can prove stroppy, or require paperwork which cannot be obtained without going back through security.

millionsofmiles
    Participant

In that aspect, BA Silver is lightyears better than the respective comparable status of *A.
    You used to have socalled Frequent Flyer Lounges, after renaming them Business Lounges, they became less accessible for FTL and nowaydays only a few airports offer lounge access for FTLs, unless they are in longhaus business. So no more access for people with many miles that mix flight classes.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

“Am I right in saying to any BA boffs out there that if you are a silver exec club member you can use the BA lounges and also invite a guest to join you?”

IIRC, you also have to be flying on a oneworld carrier.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

“In that aspect, BA Silver is lightyears better than the respective comparable status of *A.
    You used to have socalled Frequent Flyer Lounges, after renaming them Business Lounges, they became less accessible for FTL and nowaydays only a few airports offer lounge access for FTLs, unless they are in longhaus business. So no more access for people with many miles that mix flight classes.”

I think what you really mean is that oneworld is better than Star Alliance in access for silvers.

And I would agree with you.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls