BA Launches #lookup “Magical” Ads

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

• Anonymous

SergeantMajor
    Participant

Following on from being one of the first companies to use digital billboards to give real data updates a few years ago, BA is once again breaking ground with its new seris of “magical” ads, which use technology to identify aircraft flying overhead, and allow them to “interact” with children.

You can see what they look like at Piccadilly, but it’s most effective on the M4 flyover en route to/from LHR. Here’s a sneak peek:

http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/flights-and-holidays/flights/lookup

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

http://www.flightradar24.com

You can do the same in the comfort of your own home and find out about all the flights passing by, in case anyone is interested.

conshaldow
    Participant

Interesting and quirky advertisement.

I also wonder if this could be classed as a hazardous distraction? The amount of drivers who will have their eyes fixed on the boards as they pass by hoping for an aircraft to spark the interaction could cause a few collisions.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Quirky. I like it. But do they only have content when BA flights are overhead? If so it would presumably show very little most of the time…

Great idea, though 😉

canucklad
    Participant

A brilliant idea…….

Ironically, was standing at my local bus stop, Sunday lunchtime, when my mates conjectured on the contrails above…..Where was it coming from and where was it going?

Since it was above West Lothian on the East Coast, I guessed at the West Coast and had no idea of final destination, although I predicted AMS !

Is there a phone app, that allows you to point ?

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

Canucklad

You can download the Fl;lightradar app for various devices.

openfly
    Participant

Most airline staff use Planefinder.com Pay the £5 for the deluxe version…..a world of information about flights. You can also point your device cam at an overflying aircraft and it will give the information on it immediately. Excellent.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I also use flightrdar24.com and it’s de rigeur bedtime reading with the boys as we watch the European flights leave JNB or watch all the planes coming into Doha.

As long as you have an Internet connection you can point the device to the sky and all the details pop up, flight no. route etc, and it’s only a few pounds for the paid app.

If you live somewhere remote you can put up your own aerial and with a special box can link to the flightradar network. I think it’s quite brilliant.

Oh, and the ad is clever. Good thinking by whoever came up with the idea though I think BA are exaggerating with the “wizardry” bit. But then they probably knew no better and were impressed by the pitch from the ad guys!

conshaldow
    Participant

I enjoy the summer night’s sitting out the back garden and at approx 2150hrs seeing the EK26 flying overhead towards DXB, giving me the sudden urge to hop off on holiday once again!

canucklad
    Participant

Cheers FDoS…

Download complete……wish it had origin and destination, but heyho…I suppose you can guess KLM is going to land in AMS!

craigwatson
    Participant

it does have origin and destination….

SergeantMajor
    Participant

I’m looking forward to seeing ths in action; hope there aren’t too mny crashes caused by distraction…!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I use

http://uk.flightaware.com/live/flight/

which provides quite substantial detail for those interested in flight plans and real time data.

Its generally a few minutes out of date, I’ve used this programme live, when flying.

I am surprised that the interactive boards got approval from health and safety. With a person moving across the screen and pointing to the sky with a message about the aircraft, is surely going to cause drivers to take their eyes of the road……

pdtraveller
    Participant

What a fabulous way to reinforce the brand “London Airways”

Not an add they could use a lot elsewhere in the UK to much effect.

I also use ” flightaware” and “flight radar24” which demonstrate very clearly just how small BA is becoming. While they rejoice at having 2 or 3 airbus A380 in the fleet, there are often 30 to 40 such aircraft aloft over Europe at any given time.

So a great idea and very clever use of existing technology but not sure it does anything to improve the in flight experience and a decision to purchase.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls