BA–how to survive ??

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

• FaroFlyer
    Participant

Hi Senator,
    Not sure that you are correct about FRA having only 2 runways as they are currently planning a fourth:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankfurt_Airport

I have been, and still am, a loyal BA supporter for many years, but even I am now doubting WW’s strategy. BA will never be a low cost airline, and WW failed at Aer Lingus. There are always some savings to be made but the recent petty service cuts only serve to irritate premium cabin customers, and the savings are peanuts.

Senator
    Participant

Hello,

Yes, you are right. I stand corrected…

Now, there are other capacity constraints at FRA… With parallel runways, the movements are restricted. Secondly, there are severe restrictions in evening and earlier morning hours. With the new runway, came an agreement of “some” night movement.

This is why Lufthansa has added more capacity in MUC over the last five years. Personally, I rather connect in MUC.

Hess963
    Participant

Hi everyone !!

MarkRoberts has posted a news article from Timesonline about BA slashing the numbers of F/A on long haul flights( see the other thread) .

Yes, BA has to cut costs and have to do something very sensible and as soon as possible inorder to bring the company back on track.

But does those steps which W. Walsh and his inner team are doing/deciding at the moment are really the right steps ??

Sundarchn
    Participant

I am from India and I travel frequently to Europe. LH is operating 7 flights from India to FRA and MUC every day. All the flights are going full. Infact LH is costlier to BA by atleast 20%. The main reason for poor patronage for BA is

1. Transit visa issues for Schengan visa holders
    2. Poor advertisement
    3. Frequent schedule changes

If BA addresses above issues, monopoly of LH in these sectors can be put to rest

Hess963
    Participant

Indeed–it really seems so that BA has less interest than LH in the Indian marke at the moment.
    Apart from the 3 factors which you have given–it does not really sound good for British airlines regarding these routes. It is just a highly competitive market with a good selection of airlines and fares–so LH is just using their potentials and wits–sadly BA is a bit far from this competition at the moment.

Airpocket
    Participant

Picking up from what Sundarchn and Hess have said, LH are perhaps the strongest European carrier, based on their route network (India being just one example), with AF-KLM a close second. It doesn’t appear that Austrian’s discontinuation of the VIE-BOM route has made much of a difference as LH has picked up the slack.
    I think in the forseeable future the prime carriers to India from Europe will be LH, AF,KL,Jet,and Kingfisher. Swiss and Finnair occasionally offer good discounts in both classes and the Middle Eastern carriers, especially EK, have had a pretty good inroad into the Indian market for some time now.
    Yes, Air India might have its detractors on here and rightly so but you would be surprised how busy the flights can be!
    All in all, I just don’t see BA being able to compete with the above carries on the UK-India routes.

Hess963
    Participant

I would say–that BA wants to compete but lack the good premises needed in order to even with LH–Star Alliance in general, Middle Eastern Airlines like EK, QR . 9W and Kingfisher are profiting from Air India’s weakness and disorganised manner. If BA decides not to join the competition because of any priorities somewhere else needed to be attended to–so let be it–but BA should be aware that India is still a striving market and in the near future those millions of people will be capable of paying those published fares and there will be a big run and huge yields for the airlines. I do not think that BA wants to stay in the second row and be left behind while others share the big chunks of the cake among one another. It is a merciless aviation industry out there only the right people with the right decisions survive( yes sir it is still a remembrance to you Mr. Walsh and the Waterside troops !)–others will be eaten without batting an eye !!

transtraxman
    Participant

I just thought you would like to know that I have seen this topic of 2009 after posting a new( but strongly related one) on 15th July 2010.
    You might be interested in its contents and comments.
    “British Airways has lost its way”.

It is also related to the topic:”Shrinking BA” first published 25th October 2007 which I also subsequently discovered.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls