BA Hand Baggage

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 57 total)

• IanFromHKG
    Participant

If Ryanair can do it, I am sure BA can.

Oh, hang on a moment, what on earth am I saying???!!

esselle
    Participant

Three Hail Marys.

PegasusAir
    Participant

Regarding crew bags, this is an issue on short-haul flights particularly if the crew are night-stopping. It should be mandated that their bags must be placed in the lockers above the last row/s of the aircraft – after all, they should not be disembarking until all passengers have got off and usually the majority of the cabin crew are at the rear anyway. Under no circumstances should they be in the F or Business/Club lockers – as has been already said these lockers already have safety
    and other equipment in them so they should not make the situation worse. I like the LX idea of marking the lockers and keeping them shut but then it does need the premium passengers to always close them afterwards.

canucklad
    Participant

That will be 6 Hail Maryโ€™s then โ€ฆ. Or should it be 6 Hail Michaels : )

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Why can’t crew bags go in the hold? Crew should be last off the plane anyway, and as pointed out previously jet bridge deliveries are perfectly possible

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

Ian

There is no capability at T5 to handle crew bags, as I am sure one of the BA crew will confirm, so they have to stow their bags in the overheads, too.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Really? So strollers at T5 come out in the baggage hall? I must confess I am surprised…

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

I can’t comment on strollers (non sequitur, anyway), but I have heard several times from cabin crew that they cannot check in their luggage at T5 and thus it fights for overhead space, which is ludicrous and not in the interests of the crew or the passengers.

IIRC, the crew may need to take their bags and go to another aircraft, but cannot receive their bags on the jetway, but I don’t know why not.

PegasusAir
    Participant

….but the long-haul crews have their heavy luggage stowed so there must be a system to do this? Presumably this is all about the short-haul crews not wanting to go and wait to collect their bags – just like us I suppose!!

I could not agree more with Travellator’s opening post.

I always travel with the bare essentials on board.

I believe these HBO fares, whether on BA or Ryanair, only complicate matters.

CC tends to travel with a lot of luggage IMO for a 2-night trip for example, and many times after a longhaul flight I have collected my bag before them LOL.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

“….but the long-haul crews have their heavy luggage stowed so there must be a system to do this? Presumably this is all about the short-haul crews not wanting to go and wait to collect their bags – just like us I suppose!!”

The system is different on long haul – if you wish to see the concept of priority baggage delivery, crew bags are the ones to watch ๐Ÿ˜‰

On shorthaul, I don’t think the crews have a say, they have to take their bags on board so they are not delayed if they change aircraft.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

FormerlyDoS – 21/01/2014 17:30 GMT : I can’t comment on strollers (non sequitur, anyway), but I have heard several times from cabin crew that they cannot check in their luggage at T5 and thus it fights for overhead space

The point I was making that since, even on short-haul aircraft, it is possible to take strollers at the gate and return them on the jet bridge, surely it must be possible to do the same with cabin bags. I don’t see that there would be any delay issue there since, as I said, crew would normally be last off the plane – by which time the bags could be waiting for them. So it wasn’t really a non sequitur , although perhaps I could have expanded on my point to make it clearer ๐Ÿ™‚

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

Ian

I’m not trying to be difficult, as I don’t work for BA and thus am only repeating 3rd hand info, but the story I get is that crew baggage cannot be delivered at the jetway and must be carried on (at T5.)

For whatever reason (and I do not know it) it cannot be delivered like strollers, thus it is non-sequitur to compare the two, in this case.

Maybe one of the BA posters will correct any errors/misunderstandings and be able to give you a better explanation.

Edited to add: Are you sure that strollers are returned at the jetway at T5? I ask as my kids are in their late teens and so our buggy years were long before T5 opened and I don’t have personal experience of how it works.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Oh, I wasn’t suggesting you were being difficult, just trying to expound on my thought process that if it is possible for strollers to be delivered to the jetbridge then surely it must be possible for cabin crew bags to be treated the same way. However, like you, the days of strollers are a few years behind me and since one jetbridge seems much like another (particularly nowadays when, wherever in the world I go, they seem to be plastered with HSBC posters!) I don’t recall if strollers are delivered there at T5 – but I would be astonished if they weren’t! In any case, while you are clearly better informed than me, I would venture to suggest that “are not” is probably more accurate than “cannot” in the context of delivery of bags to the jetbridge. I would be astounded if the jetbridges did not have external access and staircases in case of emergency. It doesn’t take a huge leap of imagination to work out that something designed to take people down could also be used to take bags up…

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

Ian

I have been told ‘cannot’, not ‘are not.’

I don’t know why, but the context seemed to be missing capability.

Maybe something to do with the way that baggage containers are handled, but that is only a wild speculation.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 57 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls