BA Hand Baggage

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 57 total)

• Anonymous

Travellator
    Participant

Have been aware for time time now of the excessive amount and size of carry ons with BA.

Yesterday on a Domestic out of T1 gate staff were actively checking some carry ons into the hold.

Really glad to see size etc for carry ons being enforced , I have seen some huge cases being lugged on board in the recent past.

On a 380 flight that I was on recently a passenger was remonstrating to the crew that there was a design fault with the overheads not being big enough !

canucklad
    Participant

Morning Travellator

Suggest you will need to invoke the famous British “stiff upper lip” !
    I’m going to predict this behaviour will just get worse and worse as BA’s “Hand Luggage only” fares become more popular. If you’ve ever flown on FRyanscare you’ll know what I’m talking about ! And remember FR have a strict 1 bag only policy, bit it’s still chaos !

Travellator
    Participant

I am in full agreement of the regulations being enforced as one who has been victim of the dump the bag in CE and go to the back brigade !

Gold-2K
    Participant

Remember a few years ago when BA strictly enforced the hand baggage limits. All hand baggage had to be approved and have a bright green BA sticker on it. It created so much negative feedback it was scrapped.

My understanding is a lot of the problem is caused from connecting passengers esp from USA. American Airlines seem to permit anything on wheels to be carry on irrespective of size.

But I guess with hand baggage only fares they will need to be very consistent on applying the rules.

Travellator
    Participant

They tried that last year but it was only attached to hand baggage when hold baggage was booked in at check in desk.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

If the airport authorities were to support sensible / correct / proper hand baggage, it would speed up security checks.

Arriving USA passengers still have to go through “Flight Connections” & a security check. I am amazed still seeing passengers dragging 2 cases each through AND being allowed…

canucklad
    Participant

The easiest option is to allocate each passenger space in the overhead lockers, by physically splitting the space into equal parts above each row.

If the passenger brings on board more than they can fit in their allocated locker space then they need to stow it under the seat in front of them.

Thus penalising them by reducing their in-flight comfort.
    And Martyn you’re right, our Trans Atlantic cousins seem more selfish than most. I travel light and also like being almost last to board, especially on long haul flights. The amount of times I’ve had to stow my small bag under my seat still infuriates me as the locker space is taken up by only 2 peoples belongings!

Alas, since all airlines would need to agree a consistent rule, I’m sure I’ll suffer in the future!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

For the sceptics – the airport authorities did manage to educate passengers not to take liquids through – same education style could be achieved with hand baggage.. but it would need support from the airlines..

andystock
    Participant

Ryanscare is now 2 cabin bags –

8.7.1 You may carry one cabin bag per passenger (no allowance for infants travelling on their parents lap) weighing up to 10kg with maximum dimensions of 55cm x 40cm x 20cm, plus 1 small bag up to 35 x 20 x 20 cms. (click here for Regulations concerning Cabin Baggage).

PeterCoultas
    Participant

In the early 90’s at Perth Australia the limited size bags (max height 50cm) were routinely monitored entering airside-

More recently (Melbourne) I repacked heavy bits from a colleague’s carryon into her clothes when she was told its weight was dangerous – it didn’t help when I pointed out that Quantas didn’t worry about danger to business passengers who could have such heavier carry-ons!

SimonS1
    Participant

Canucklad – an interesting idea, it would be fun to see how this was policed as I would imagine if the lockers were divided into equal units no one unit would be big enough to get an approved size roll on into.

That really is the problem – there is just too much baggage full stop.

TabTraveller
    Participant

@canucklad
    Your suggestion might be the “easiest” solution but, as is pretty obvious, the overhead locker space above a row in any single aisle aircraft with a 3-3 layout is too small to fit three bags all meeting the required size. So this would mean that everyone would have to accept much smaller cabin baggage allowances and would lead to a lot of wasted space if passengers did not make full use of the space allocated to them or there were empty seats.

The current system should work reasonably well most of the time IF it is enforced. Which it isn’t.

In my view when travelling in J or F long-haul the ‘bring on what you can carry and fits into the locker’ policy adopted on the CWLCY flights should be made part of the official allowance bearing in mind the available bin space is vastly larger than can be used by the passengers on even a full cabin.

canucklad
    Participant

Hi andystock

I knew that FR had been heavily encouraged to relax the rules on Duty Free bags from the various airside retailers. And I can now only dread my next flight with FR as its bad enough just now. 5 minutes with the Munster forwards is preferable to boarding an FR flight.

Can’t agree more Simon, far too much luggage. And without upsetting my fellow BT contributors, business people can be the worst offenders. Travelling with a female colleague for a 3 day visit to one of our OSP’s in Cardiff, I couldn’t believe that she turned up with a medium sized wheelie case, a fancy dancy laptop case, her own brick laden handbag, and just to top off her luggage ensemble , a hat carrier.

Me. I chose to check-in my trusty wee bag , with my outside jacket packed as well., thus allowing me to travel light without lugging stuff through security etc….

Have a guess at what I ended up having to do ?

BRin1406
    Participant

From past experience it would seem some passengers adopt the policy that one piece of hand luggage equates to the amount of hand luggage one person can carry.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 57 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls