BA Gold Guest List Redemptions

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

• Anonymous

OnslowSW7
    Participant

This year I consolidated all my travel onto BA, and managed to get to BA’s Gold Guest List tier. The benefits of this are debatable, but the most useful benefit seemed to be the Guest List Redemption, or Joker. In theory this means that if you want to make an Avios booking, so long as there is a seat available (and no-one else has played their joker on that flight) then the seats would be released to you.

However, twice this year I have tried to use a joker, and twice I’ve been denied. There were plenty of seats available, and no one else had played a joker but apparently the seats weren’t in the correct category. Its very frustrating!

Has anyone else encountered this? I think its probably time to start to diversify who I fly with again

FirstTraveller
    Participant

It is quite annoying to know that BA is playing such games. I thought they are more honest with regard to GGL joker redemption privilege.

If you are a heavy flyer, I recommend you look at HON program of LH and LX. It is an excellent one but it has one problem is that you have always to connect via FRA or MUC or ZRH instead of flying direct out of LHR.

SimonS1
    Participant

Why do you think it’s called a joker 😉

OnslowSW7
    Participant

Having looked at some of the other schemes for heavy travellers, it seems Lufty’s is v good, and also United’s Global Services programme. Much more generous in terms of redemption availability and upgrades, as well as managing to make customers feel valued…

FirstTraveller
    Participant

The problem with LUFTY is that you have to fly LH and its affiliated airlines (LX, SN, LO) all the tie to earn the HON status.

While with UA all what you need to fly UA four segments and then you are free to fly any other *A airline partner and still earn the highest UA status.

6Continents
    Participant

As per the T&Cs of the Executive Club these can only be booked if classes A, D, T, B. are available.

OnslowSW7
    Participant

Thanks 6C, I couldnt find the redemption classes on the BA site- where did you find them? Although I guess its fairly academic as its not easy to find out what booking classes are available!

ekond111
    Participant

Ounslow – I have used the ‘joker’ about a dozen times over the 5-6 years….never had a problem – I found the exec club would call me back usually within 3 hours and confirm accordingly.

I’ve used the ‘joker’ at short notice, and with notice over easter, over christmas successfully.

I would call the GGL +441614483048 and verify reiterate that there are seats available and you would like to exercise the wildcard (I guess they could refuse if seats showing available are part of the overbooking contingent).

OnslowSW7
    Participant

ekond111- I guess I’ve just been unlucky… Was trying to book a couple of seats in F from LHR – MEX (rtn) in May… The annoying thing is that they have 9 seats available, but the wrong redemption class… 🙁

ekond111
    Participant

I’m able to book a 1st class seat without the wildcard to Mex in 1st ….but there are only a handful of days where 2 seats are available.

….I would try again on Thursday….I wonder if there are restrictions on availability due to the ‘flash sale’…..that has happened before…

what days are you looking at?

Tirana1
    Participant

I too have had problems using the joker this year – even to the situation of being able to use it on an outbound leg but not on the corresponding return a week later because only J class was available. I have never before (over past 4 years) had such a problem. The degree of helpfulness of GGL customer service staff varies markedly – from those who cannot be bothered to return calls to those able to come up with helpful re-routing options. I cannot help but feel the the restrictions as to GGL joker use are less than fully publicised by BA which given the downside of putting off people who are necessarily key customers is strange. In the end I ended up with a sensible re-routing that enabled me to get the seats I needed but I had rather expected that last year’s 5000+ tier points would actually translate into guaranteed joker availability, even on J class. Lesson learned.

OnslowSW7
    Participant

ekond111- I was aiming for LHR-MEX on 14 May and returning on 18 May. It seems Sunday 18 May is the issue (although they have 9 seats still available!)

I agree with Tirana1- BA are not entirely open about the restrictions on the joker- they create the impression that you can have *any* free seat… As you say, lesson learned. Time to look to other carriers. My colleagues seem to get superb service from Uniteds Global Services…

ekond111
    Participant

Onslow – very strange….there are in fact 14 1st class seats available on the 18th (MEX-LHR) and 9 of which are ‘A’ grade 1st class seats….I really do think it’s something to do with the current sale….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls