BA fuel surcharge INCREASES

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

• Anonymous

openfly
    Participant

Last Jan a single Avios in Club LHR to CPT was 50,000 Avios plus £211 charges. Just booked the same…plus £358 charges! The taxes are the same, so I asked the a Exec a Club why the 70% increase….because “the fuel surcharge has increased”. The only word to describe my reaction….speechless!

So an Avios Club is now almost as expensive as a full-fare in economy.

And we used to complain about Ryanairs dodgy deals!

passionateflyer
    Participant

A single Avios redemption in J on LHR to CPT has always been around the £350 mark for taxes and surcharges, nothing new there. £211 sounds more like the taxes and surcharges on a CPT-LHR single avios ticket in J.

openfly
    Participant

Very strange…

TominScotland
    Participant

Not really, openfly. Taxes and other charges ex-UK are some of the highest in the world and must be much higher that ex-SA. I doubt this has anything to do with fuel costs at all and that the Exec Club person was, well, clueless!!

canucklad
    Participant

Indeed the cost of remaining loyal and being rewarded for that loyalty can be quite high. Thank God, otherwise, we’d never find Avios availability ever… : )

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Friends of mine here had to book last December to get 2 seats with Avios for this coming December.

esselle
    Participant

I recently phoned the BAEC to moan about the problems facing me when trying to find reward flights using my gazillion Avios/vouchers etc.

They apologised, and………gave me some more Avios as a gesture………

All I need to do now is decide where I want to go………..

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

Esselle – that’s hilarious but of course, not in a good way….. in the meantime have some Guilders to spend in the Netherlands or perhaps these magic beans….

Having tried (in vain) to book CW Avios between LHR and pretty much anywhere on the East coast USA – I just tried (in vain) to book an Avios seat between LHR and Larnaca. Since BA have just added additional flights I thought it would be a breeze….wrong.
    Zero Zilch Bugger all (of course).

Interestingly, a ‘note’ popped up on my screen to inform me that “additional seats had been opened up to me due to my Gold status”) = Nil, nothing, bugger all.

Ended up with Jet2 from Leeds……

openfly
    Participant

@seasonedtraveller

Hi, were you asking to book more than one person on the ticket? It seems that the promise of “opening up extra seats for Gold card holders” means literally that….just the Gold….one seat! Big deal….

Still, with Jet2 it is probably cheaper than the Avios seat! Great airline, cheap tickets, lovely crews and quite good time keeping out of LBA.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I wonder why the fuel surcharge is cheaper when booked in South Africa than the other way? Does the plane use less fuel when flying North – South?

I’d have thought it uses more as it’s all uphill on the way back! 😉

TominScotland
    Participant

Lugano, its not the fuel that makes the difference, its the tax and airport-related charges, I suspect

Senator
    Participant

I am afraid to burst the bubble, but looks like BA is going in the other direction for short-haul. Fuel surcharges are being removed.. Great value!

http://www.headforpoints.com/2015/01/15/british-airways-scraps-fuel-surcharges-on-short-haul-flights/

TominScotland
    Participant

Thanks, Senator. As someone who uses European Avios redemptions extensively, this will make a difference.

Schaible, read the full thread. BA is NOT increasing fuel charges……

canucklad
    Participant

You’re right Tom, and openfly your BA person has gone off message. ,
    BA, doesn’t officially have a “Fuel Surcharge” , they have a “Carrier Imposed Charge” ……
    No mention of fuel charges when you book normally or redeem Avios points.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls