Viewing 9 posts - 106 through 114 (of 114 total)

• Alasdair
    Participant

Agree re crew, to leave them well alone.. But may I make a suggestion? For Vintage Krug to spend less time on here & be more productive elsewhere.
    Back on subject, and from my perspective as a passenger frequenting Jo’burg, I have never tasted worse food on any airline (Lufthansa is reliably better). And after complaining on a the gate to a familiar face… was told of unfortunate changes ahead.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

rferguson – 25/07/2011 13:12 GMT

VMTs your very considered response to the earlier postings. I have only just realised that this thread is now almost a year old – or should that be stale?

From my WTP experience on the LHR-PEK route that I took last week – with the WTP cabin between F and CW – there was a choice of two meals (from CW). This was set out on a smart printed card from which pax could choose and was served on china with metal cutlery, linen etc. Even allowing for the entirely valid points you’ve made about the ovens, the food was not half bad – and I am pretty choosy. The entire WTP experience knocks CE into a cocked hat and compares favourably with Business Class in other carriers such as THY, Aeroflot and Air China that fly routes ultimately into Ulaan Baatar.

I almost forgot to add the comical experience of Air China “in-flight” catering. This consisted of a board of white putty bread cellophane wrapped “sandwich bricks” being gently dropped into your lap. To the audible laughs from the variously startled to downright bemused Westerners on the PEK-ULN flight were then added comments such as “we’d better eat this now because it may be the last protein we get in a while….!” Streuth, they must have been desperate!

My wife, who goes in CW (!), considers that the BA bed is the best inflight sleeping she’s ever had – certainly better than on CX.

I for one continue to hope that BA (which is reporting profits whereas other European carriers are announcing losses) will continue to work on improving the in-flight catering, whilst recognising that it will always impossible to please everyone all of the time.

MaxxLewis
    Participant

LHR – HKG – LHR (out in June and back today). Vast improvement from their previous offerings. And much to my delight, the champagne and white wines were chilled on both legs. I know it’s off the topic but worth mentioning that excellent staff especially the flight last night (a full upper deck). Well done, BA!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

From a presentation point of view, the afternoon tea, sandwiches could be presented and served without a cellophane wrapper. Looks more like Jo’s cafe than New Club World!

My fruit platter was as always, very tasteful and delicious.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Indeed I think BA’s in flight catering has improved markedly on most routes, with investment in customer-facing product directly generated from savings elsewhere, specifically on Mixed Fleet which will benefit customers in the long term.

It’s good to see caviar back (on the Moscow service at least..) and the Chilled Chocolate fondant is a masterstroke:

http://www.businesstraveller.com/discussion/topic/Pudding-Perfection-Is-This-The-Chilled-Choc-Fondant-the-Best-in-the-Sky

Alasdair
    Participant

You really are a joke VK… Why don’t you stick to milling about the hallways of BA management central and try to improve things for the rest of us rather than trying to quantify the benefits of mixed fleet (to yourself). The little touches on various routes are irrelevant – the catering is awful on South African routes and needs to be improved. End of!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Is the menu different going to S Africa than going to USA? I think the food in NCW is V A S T L Y improved.

austline
    Participant

I agree I think that BA CW food has improved markedly just wish they would plate the mains in the galley.

Worst meal was recently out of JNB on SQ the steak was uneatable, and the whole catering and service was very disappointing. Shall stick to OW carriers where possible.

JohnHarper
    Participant

The food on BA might have improved, it’s still bottom of the pile among the major carriers though.

Viewing 9 posts - 106 through 114 (of 114 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls